PDA

View Full Version : No Intake?

Crazy Asian
04-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Ok so I took off my crap ebay intake since it was scraped up and what not. Since Im waiting for the stock oem filter tray to come in I was wondering if it's okay to run a car with no intake. And I DONT want to put the intake back on cuz I was a bitch to take off and imagine install it back on. I hate that intake. The only thing good was the filter...which Im prob gonna sell

Crazy Asian
04-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Somone's goto know something I mean isnt this like running ITB's?

william_jeff
04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
yea i think so..if anything i'd tell you to put a mess grill or something in front of the grill just incase something gets sucked in that you dont want to

speedminded
04-03-2007, 09:31 AM
put a sock and couple rubberbands over it ;)

william_jeff
04-03-2007, 09:35 AM
this aint masturbation :lmfao:

Sol-Badguy
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Pantyhose and you're good to go.

speedminded
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Pantyhose and you're good to go.If you really wanna get all fancy pantyhose and hose clamp or CV boot band :D I just know every guy has a sock laying around, hopefully a few more than pantyhose ;)

Sol-Badguy
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I just siad that because I'm sure it flows better than a sock.

..and what of the lint that could get sucked in?

an0therh22
04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
No, it's not okay. you'll blow up and die. just take off the filter and stick it on there :lmfao: :goodjob:

santacruz77
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
ya put a sock over it if your only driving for like a day why not just put it back on im sure its better having a ugly intake than blowing a motor

Kyle
04-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Umm I'd just put the filter back where the intake was attached. Kinda like a short ram. You're going to have hot air in your engine regardless.

CSquared
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
have you seen the shit that collects in your filter? Unless you don't like your car and want all of that in your engine, I'd suggest re-installing your intake.

GSRtegŪ
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Im with him!:goodjob:

No, it's not okay. you'll blow up and die. just take off the filter and stick it on there :lmfao: :goodjob:

bigdare23
04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
have you seen the shit that collects in your filter? Unless you don't like your car and want all of that in your engine, I'd suggest re-installing your intake.

best answer so far! :goodjob:

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I putting the type s intake on today. Hurayy

speedminded
04-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I putting the type s intake on today. Hurayy+18hp :tongue:

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
No no....its for the low end and mid.. I hate having to floor the godamn car just to get the most use out of the dam CAI.

Extrememustang
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
+18hp :tongue:
If it came with a decal put that on as well extra 5hp:goodjob: :bump:

CSquared
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM
No no....its for the low end and mid.. I hate having to floor the godamn car just to get the most use out of the dam CAI.

lol you DO realize that those things add minimal power regardless of the range?

Kyle
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah they add very little power but sound ballin on turbocharged cars. :goodjob:

CSquared
04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah they add very little power but sound ballin on turbocharged cars. :goodjob:

ha indeed... The first time i heard the turbo spool on my car I almost creamed my pants. :nautjerk:

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Well for Preludes....type s is actually engineered like the V2. I think V2 copied of the Type S because the type S has box design to trap air in ... so more low end power vs straight pipe yuck. I just test drove this....damn it sounds a bit louder and grunt more in the low end. I likey...Now I goto wait for the springs.

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Though I told ppl about this if you want the most of your CAI get BPI flowstack. It actually is proven to work and no one gets this. If I had the CAI still I prob would have bought this but CAI is shits right now so I bought the type S.

CSquared
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
lol i'll keep that in mind for the extra .02 horsepower.

Kyle
04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
ha indeed... The first time i heard the turbo spool on my car I almost creamed my pants. :nautjerk:
Lol, that still happens to me. Glad to see I'm not alone.

ruffriderGA
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
dont want to end up with an engine full of pollen

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I put the Type S smoother accelration then the CAI. I'm putting the dyno for the flowstack since cramer thinks it bs. You have turbo this NA...any amount is good. It's an H22 with an AEM CAI 3 inch cone and the other one is the one with BPI.

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Man I need to get a header.

CSquared
04-04-2007, 08:56 PM
lol you sure showed me...

Kyle
04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I put the Type S smoother accelration then the CAI. I'm putting the dyno for the flowstack since cramer thinks it bs. You have turbo this NA...any amount is good. It's an H22 with an AEM CAI 3 inch cone and the other one is the one with BPI.
I think thats what he meant by it doing nothing. Especially since companies often claim it adds 15hp.

lol you sure showed me...
lol.

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey for a NA motor anything is good. And if you have a CAI might as well put a flowstack on it to help it out. Better then wasting money on that useless electric supercharger. This is at least make the CAI more useful.
http://www.bpinitiatives.com/products.html#Graph_6 tahts their site with the graphs.

Here's an explanation from the guy who created it.
Far from equivalent. In fact you would probably be better off with a filter on than open ended pipe alone. A velocity stack benefits automotive applications for two main reasons.

1) Is the abillity to tweak and alter the air velocity profile and air velocities. Now this is a big benefit in ITB applications and various other racing applications, but as you did mention most of these benefits are dampened due to intake length and a plenum manifold.

2) The next major benefit is through the prevention of seperation at the entrance. The entrance of your intake can cause a significant head loss or loss of energy. These effectively creates a choke, due to the turbulent vortices and eddies created at the entrance. The severity of this head loss is dependant on the internal geometry of your filter, but can represent a significant "restriction". Due to the nature of turbulent flow, you cannot calculate losses analytically, but experimental data has been provided to correlate to. We can estimate head loss (ie. how restrictive) of the entrance geometry based on emperical data that exists. If we dig up head loss coefficents for plan ended pipe, square shoulder entrance and a radius entrance they are as follows: .78, .5 and .2-.04 (depending on radius) respectively. So head loss can be reduced by a factor of nearly 20 by running a stack over plan ended pipe.
Reference: Potter & Foss, Fluid Mechanics. Or you can run a search for head loss for viscous internal flow.
Interesting enough though, I just received some results from a customer with a 85mm B motor, that compared a Injen Velocity Stack Filter and the BPi Flow Stack. Gains of 2-3 ft-lb through almost the entire engine operating range. I will post us the result in the next several days or so.

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
The only reason why I wanted the Type S just wanted the stock design and it was cheap. Im not all about power. IF I wanted power hell I'd go buy the STi or a the 330 but Im just gonna be daily driving this car so Im just having fun with it.

Kyle
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I am not saying CAI's arent worthwhile. I am just saying they don't add much horsepower. I have one, and I love it.

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
True.

corey30349
04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
my brotha had a lude he ran it wit out a intake for a lil while it improved the performance considering the stock intake filter was pitch black and u couldnt even see light threw it but as long as it dont rain u straight i think but wouldnt do it go to pepboys and get a cheap one

Crazy Asian
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM
AHAH it felt weird running no intake. .... I got scared. So i turned it off. And waited.

corey30349
04-05-2007, 08:26 AM
AHAH it felt weird running no intake. .... I got scared. So i turned it off. And waited.the reason for that is cuz u kno that there isnt one

Kyle
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Yeah man I wouldnt do it. Even if you dont like your intake it beats sucking random crap like leafs into your engine. It's not worth it.