PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Boost my 350

LSR
04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
okay so im about to turbo my car.. and im really feelin that APS extreme kit. however... i dont wanna be too... well.. "extreme" tho it would be nice to pull up next to a F430 and walk him. well what do you guys suggest?:cry:

nextelbuddy
04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
okay so im about to turbo my car.. and im really feelin that APS extreme kit. however... i dont wanna be too... well.. "extreme" tho it would be nice to pull up next to a F430 and walk him. well what do you guys suggest?:cry:

wish i knew more about 350Z and turbo kits sorry i cant help you there. just good luck is all i can say

redgst97
04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Try calling one of the many capable IA.com sponsors for detailed information. I might suggest Mahdavi Motorsports. 770-923-1550

The Youngn
04-02-2007, 04:21 PM
uhh...boosting a 350....who else would you call besides Forged Performance for that???

Cool Cat Racing
04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
You'll need more than just a turbo kit to walk on a F430. I have turboed several Z's, both with single and twins and without running the motor too hard your not going much over 400whp. I've seen several running higher numbers but I prefer to stay on the safe side and keep the motor together longer. The car will be fast either way but your not going to be beating any F430's with it. I'm guessing by the pics and your cardomain site that you don't have an LSD which I would recommend prior to any turbo kits.

thursdaybuff
04-02-2007, 06:06 PM
You'll need more than just a turbo kit to walk on a F430. I have turboed several Z's, both with single and twins and without running the motor too hard your not going much over 400whp. I've seen several running higher numbers but I prefer to stay on the safe side and keep the motor together longer. The car will be fast either way but your not going to be beating any F430's with it. I'm guessing by the pics and your cardomain site that you don't have an LSD which I would recommend prior to any turbo kits.
2nd

David88vert
04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Done the Stillen supercharger. 303rwhp.
Then added the Stillen aftercooler. 302rwhp.
Took it off, added the Greddy TT kit. 410rwhp.
Then pop.
In went the new engine, then the tranny went....

GirlieZ
04-03-2007, 12:42 AM
isnt your tranny auto? big mistake boostin then! dont waste money boosting a Z, they are not ment for the straight line anyways. It kills me how people forget that. I mean unless you just have tens of thousands of dollars to waste the i would say hell to it, "Sharif, here is my downpayment on my house, go build me a 12 second greenback eater". Hell, Sharif is only running mid 11's (to my knowledge) and most of his parts he has to fab up himself. And i know 11's is a hella fast time, but for the money he put into that car who knows what a 5.0 mustang would run. You have to consider its not just the price of the turbo kit, you have to build the engine and the components that hold the power. Its all very expensive on a Z seeing that they are relatively new. As David 88vert said. Z's go BOOM! They are great twsties cars with the platform to hang in the turns and the power to push outa the turns. If you want straight line power get a domestic. its always a cheaper and easy fix.

oro
04-03-2007, 01:30 AM
isnt your tranny auto? big mistake boostin then! dont waste money boosting a Z, they are not ment for the straight line anyways. It kills me how people forget that. I mean unless you just have tens of thousands of dollars to waste the i would say hell to it, "Sharif, here is my downpayment on my house, go build me a 12 second greenback eater". Hell, Sharif is only running mid 11's (to my knowledge) and most of his parts he has to fab up himself. And i know 11's is a hella fast time, but for the money he put into that car who knows what a 5.0 mustang would run. You have to consider its not just the price of the turbo kit, you have to build the engine and the components that hold the power. Its all very expensive on a Z seeing that they are relatively new. As David 88vert said. Z's go BOOM! They are great twsties cars with the platform to hang in the turns and the power to push outa the turns. If you want straight line power get a domestic. its always a cheaper and easy fix.

Auto trannies are the fastest for dragging. JWT's built Z's have been able to handle F430s and Ford GT's and other cars on the track. The APS Extreme Turbo kit is capable of 1200+ HP it is complete overkill and will require a built engine, you will have to take out your tranny, and put in a Turbo 400 or Turbo 350 if you want to drag with that kind of power and get anything consistantl. Domestics are good at what they do but they also have their downfalls as well. Japanese cars don't have the literage that American Cars use, Mustangs are fast in a straight line, solid rear end will do that for you. The 350Z stock is built for a track, track suspension settings aren't good for a drag launch.

My friend Jesse Berger owns the 5.0 Edelbrock Mustang. In arizona he runs 13.5 on Street tires, 12.5's on his E.T streets. From a slow second roll, I jumped a car on him immediately, his 3rd gear is powerful and he pulled back in 3rd, his rear fender to my front bumper, and we stayed there till we shut down not moving. His biggest factor thats makes him fly down the quarter mile is his amazing launch, car hooks HARD. Take away that factor and were very close even though im making 30 less wtq and 40 less whp, hence our rivalry.

In the end it depends on what you like. If you like japanese cars your going to favor them on their looks or styling or what not. But turning a stock car into what you want it to be is going to cost tons regardless, well...if you do it right. Otherwise, your better off buying a purpose built car. Everyone wants to be fast for drag, the downfall to this is if you are to be Truely fast at the quarter mile. That overdrive gear has to go, your speeds will drop to 3 to 4 gears, your driveability and gas mileage will go straight to hell, and you probably won't be able to drive it on the street, but it will be good at what it was built to do. Personally, I favor well rounded. :goodjob:

oro
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM

The APS extreme kit is TOO extreme for what you want. At stock literage your turbo lag would be pretty bad. Which is why the cars running the APS Extreme kit are usually stroked/bored to 4.2 liters.

Your stock tranny wont be able to hold up to the abuse, your options are probably to switch to a stick, with a strong clutch/flywheel combo, or buy a GM Turbo 350 or Turbo 400, and make it fit. F430's are extremely light and have gobs of top end. Your Z will run out of gear before you out top end an F430, which would require work to the rear end as well as well as losing more power through the stock auto tranny. No matter what, if you turbo a Naturally aspirated car. You better play it safe and get the engine built, or your asking for a failure. You can't blame the car for blowing up, if your forcing it to do way more than it was designed to.

Personally, I would get a "normal" TT kit and wait till you have the money for a built shortblock.

LSR
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
what all of you are sayin makes since... but i probly wont be usin the car strictly for drag. 3.8l + TT maybe... runnin 10-15psi maybe... the tranny btw is going to be replaced.

manilikecars
04-06-2007, 11:11 AM

though walking a f430 will be bad ass i think that will already make you kinda "extreme"

thursdaybuff
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
dont waste money boosting a Z, they are not ment for the straight line anyways. It kills me how people forget that.
unless your z already comes boosted :D but then again, the stock boost isn't really saying much. that's why i don't do stock..

Hundo®
04-09-2007, 09:51 AM
2nd

forged just got done with a 491 rwhp 350 at 9psi with Greddy TT

if anything man definately do a greddy or APS, and go to forgedperformance, no where else.

GirlieZ
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
unless your z already comes boosted :D but then again, the stock boost isn't really saying much. that's why i don't do stock..
haha but you alls z32's can take it, you must remember you had to duke it out with the supras during you alls production years. is your engine v or inline? thats where 2jz owns.

ct9a gsr
04-12-2007, 02:40 PM
uhh...boosting a 350....who else would you call besides Forged Performance for that???

+1

Tracy
04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
APS is the best IMO. Call Z1 Motorsports. They have been around the longest and have the best rep for z's and 350's. www.z1motorsports.com

oro
04-15-2007, 02:17 PM
haha but you alls z32's can take it, you must remember you had to duke it out with the supras during you alls production years. is your engine v or inline? thats where 2jz owns.

Z32's internals were built as were the 3kgt and Supra if I remember forged so they could take a helluva beating before they stopped ticking, and they were V's.

Supra about 3620lbs with 320hp and 315 tq at 5.3 0-60.

300ZX at 3481lbs with 300hp and 287 tq. with a 0-60 of 5.2

3000gt vr4 3781 lbs with 320hp and 315 tq with a 0-60 5.4

All the heavy...and I mean heavy... hitters were equal at the time, V's to inline.

2007 350z has 306hp and 268 tq weighs 3339 with a 0-60 of 5.4.
Twisties and drag :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=czHbeF9-qZo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=czHbeF9-qZo) 13.354 1/4 stock.

MIKE.P
04-15-2007, 06:22 PM
what it comes down to is if you want to put more than 400whp...your going to have to build the motor..trust me i know..lol.....400+- a little is about all the 350z can handle stock motor..it doesnt matter what kit you use you can hit 400whp...but if you decide to build then go greddy tt kit...

modifiedr
04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
APS is the best IMO. Call Z1 Motorsports. They have been around the longest and have the best rep for z's and 350's. www.z1motorsports.com

Sorry to say but Z1 SUCKS ASS!!!! They might've been around the longest but they don't know shit about 350z......

modifiedr
04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
The only shops in Ga. that are making fast Z's are Forged Performance in Marietta and Meximum Velocity Motor Sports in Ring Gold......Shariff knows the owner fo Maximum Velocity Motorsports.... And when it comes to having a turbo kit on a Z, make sure you invest in some pistons and rods.....that alone will help your Z handle 9 to 11 pounds of boost all day....

GirlieZ
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
if i had the money, mine would be at forged. im not a forged worshiper, but i would trust mike g35 with my car and sharif not to blow up. thats the only shop i would put a vq in around here

modifiedr
04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
if i had the money, mine would be at forged. im not a forged worshiper, but i would trust mike g35 with my car and sharif not to blow up. thats the only shop i would put a vq in around here

better sharif and Jonathan than Z1 Motorsports.. :D

Ltdnismorace
04-18-2007, 03:44 AM
why don't you guys quit wasting this guys time and someone give him the number for JUN, they'll hook him right up. Get that nice JUN stroker kit and a nice clean turbo setup and you'll be running great in no time. They just retro fit a Z33 with a GTR AWD setup mated to a stroked VQ and I think it's making right at 700whp or so If I remember right. Could be yours for only 50k dollars and a nice trip to Japan.

2Fast4Radar
04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
One of my friends has an 06 6-speed 350Z and he had asked what I thought about turboing it. I aboslutely love the car, but there's ZERO room in the engine bay just like the 300ZX. I thought after all of the things that they did right on the 350 that they would have had more open space, but I was sadly disappointed when I opened the hood. And it wasn't like there's no room for extra space if they wanted it - they just pushed the frame rails really close to the engine.

A supercharger would be much easier to install and work on if a problem ever came up. The bends in the piping on the turbo kits I've seen is insane - there's BARELY any room.

Did you consider a supercharger???

Tracy
04-18-2007, 06:53 PM
why don't you guys quit wasting this guys time and someone give him the number for JUN, they'll hook him right up. Get that nice JUN stroker kit and a nice clean turbo setup and you'll be running great in no time. They just retro fit a Z33 with a GTR AWD setup mated to a stroked VQ and I think it's making right at 700whp or so If I remember right. Could be yours for only 50k dollars and a nice trip to Japan.

why did you just waste his time and not give him the # :)

modifiedr
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM

50k for a 700whp car plus a trip to japan.....I rather buy a supra......

Jaimecbr900
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Sam and them built several 350's and G35's, lately as a matter of fact. The Greddy kit looks really good. Parts seem to fit right. When you start building the motor and throwing in big injectors with big boost is when the Nissans start having problems. I'm a big Nissan fan, and JWT goes a long way towards electronically fixing most management issues, but it's a finicky car period. If you want major power, you can't just throw on a bolt-on and call it a day. Internals and tranny are the weak links, which is to say a lot actually. I've been a big VQ fan forever. I ran more nitrous thru VQ's than most Dentist offices..... :ninja: :D , but they do have limits which unfortunately are far lower than some others.

VQ's can be made to put out, but it takes money and patience. Most people don't have both of those though.... :D If you don't go nuts with wanting 20 psi of boost, then you can probably run 9-10 psi all day long without too many headaches. The problem is that people get too greedy. 400 whp in that car is nothing to sneeze at, but when they all try to keep up with 1000 hp Supras and stuff.....well, you get the picture. :screwy:

My :2cents: is that Mahdavi certainly has a proven track record with those cars too, so there's more than just one player in town. ;) :goodjob:

Good luck with your project.

DtnaBlu350z
04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
if you go anywhere but Forged then expect ur car to go boom. and that auto trans isnt going to hold up long unless u get some time of aftermarket 1. but like u said u were wanting to do a 3.8 + boost? the stroker kit alone is like $7000, the kit u want is like $9000. then u have to get some type of engine management which is like $2000, THEN u have to get it all instaled and tuned which is going to be another $3000 to $4000. ummmmm thats why i got an evo

iEvo
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
i thought u said u were going to orlando last varsity meet to get all ur stuff put on???? and u told me that u already had a built motor???? weird

SpeedMonkey
04-25-2007, 12:22 PM
no other shop will do a better job, than FORGED PERFORMANCE. end of story.

if you want to just boost your car, buy a kit. and bolt it on yourself.

if you're looking to go beyond that. go forged.

DirtyMechanic
04-27-2007, 12:15 PM

who said my name..... oh snaps got to build me a bottom end to a VQ by the end of the day....

modifiedr
04-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Forget the Z....Get a honda.......

Kyle
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
My question what do you do for a living that is giving you this type of money?

First you considered doing an RB26det and AWD conversion in the Z and now a turbo.

iEvo
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
haha he said he was going to do that??? sniff sniff i smell firewall extension and the biggest headache of his life

tony
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Let me give you some things to consider.. I spent $10k alone having the APS TT kit put in my G35. The car cost about $35k.. exhaust, body kit etc.. it all adds up to about $55k altogether and I did not even build the engine. (By the way it has been proven that 400whp+ can be reliable in the VQ)

When you decide to sell the car (and you will) the turbo is actually going to DROP the value of the car.. in my case I sold for $28k. People spending that much on a car want something reliable or a warranty and outside of a built engine the VQ is not that.

If money is not an issue then disregard what I've said.. but also consider that the Z is not geared for high horsepower, you'll put down big numbers but still get your ass handed to you by cars that were meant for high speeds. Stock C6 Z06 will simply murder a 400whp 350Z partly because the 350Z is shifting twice as much as the Z06. If you plan to keep the car for a while and want a FUN ride, you cannot go wrong with the APS or JWT kit.

Take it to Forged, and I say that from experience. You have one of the best tuners in the country for the Z right here in town, I would never pass that up.

thursdaybuff
04-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Forget the Z....Get a honda.......
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: