PDA

View Full Version : Need a shop to install new wheel bearings... cheapest/best place?

Jecht
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Where might you guys suggest I take my car to have them do my wheel bearings? It needs to be cheap but I would still like a good job done. I also need it done by Thursday.

Wurm
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
you can buy hubs with bearings already installed at autozone

Total_Blender
04-01-2007, 07:47 PM
you can buy hubs with bearings already installed at autozone

You are wrong on this one. On some cars you can get bearings with the hubs pressed on, but you still have to press them in the spindle.

You can't get anything like that for VW's because there is a split ring on both sides of the wheel bearing. So even if you could get a bearing/hub assembly, it would be impossibile to install right because you wouldn't be able to get the outer split ring on.:goodjob:

Your best bet is to call around and ask shops if they have a hydraulic press to press wheel bearings in and out with. If they don't know what you are taking about, hang up and call somewhere else.

Some of the redneck places will just hammer them out. I've changed them this way before and it works if you're careful, but I wouldn't trust a shop to do it right.:2cents:

Jecht
04-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Well this is funny. I already have my car jacked up and in pieces. I've just got to take it somewhere with a press, and I found out my friend has one.