PDA

View Full Version : Misc British Hostages

Hulud
03-31-2007, 11:30 PM
ok so by now you had better have heard about the British troops taken hostage by the Iranians (if you havent please hit the X in the top right of your screen).

So whats your take on this mess?

man
03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Iran tryna start some shit.

bigpimpatl
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
no, Iran is not trying to start anything. Each country is trying to turn the situation into a political gain for itself. Iran wants Britain to acknowledge that the sailors and marine were in Iranian waters. But Britain refuses to apologize, so it's basically one big stalemate. Believe me when I say this, but Iran is not trying to start anything. There are two US battleships deployed in that area of the gulf coast. And Iraq is, well, right next to Iran. Afghanistan is a short ride away as well. We have US troops in both regions. IF anything were to happen, the US would back up Britain in heartbeat. Israel (which has nuclear capabilities) is just itching to deploy some if something were to happen. Combine that with the fact that most middle east nations (at least Saudi Arabia) do not like Iran at all, so they would def turn the other way. What would basically happen is World War III, no joke. What I am really afraid of is those two battleships; they need to get out of that region before some "accident" happens that causes a definite pretext to war. And Iran would get wiped off the map.

Iran is really in between a rock and hard place; they are trying to use the sailors/marine as leverage to get the western countries to at least acknowledge them (Iran) and work with them to solve the situation. All they really want is an apology that it was Britain's fault. I do think that Tony Blair should just shutup and get the soldiers back instead of making a political morass. The best solution to this problem is to get some sort of third party which is neutral or friendly to both sides, possibly the UN (but i despise the UN). Maybe Brazil, South Korea, or create a special council to defuse the situation. They should look at the claims of both countries and settle this matter peacefully.

tony
04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree with bigpimp completely, I would not say its the smartest move by Iran to hold the soldiers but you have to look at it from both ends. I do not believe Iran is really trying to start anything, they do not want that kind of trouble.

2.0civic
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with bigpimp completely, I would not say its the smartest move by Iran to hold the soldiers but you have to look at it from both ends. I do not believe Iran is really trying to start anything, they do not want that kind of trouble.

this is true...Iran would be screwing themselves