PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! ELECTRICAL ISSUE

BlueHatch
03-30-2007, 09:29 PM
i have an ef with a jdm b16 and a t3/t4 turbo kit. the motor do0esnt run hot but the cluster temp gauge pinned hot last night. tonight we hooked up an external water temp gauge and it acted normal while it idled buit then when i road tested it pinned all the way hot but the motor ran cool. the cluster temp sat at 0. any suggestions? please help

twinj
03-30-2007, 10:57 PM
You checked the thermostat right? Are you driving it hard?

mitch lab
03-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Do you know or hear the fan kick on?

BlueHatch
03-31-2007, 02:05 AM
not driving it hard until this is fixed and yes the fan is running. i know the heat works but how do i check the thermostat?

mitch lab
03-31-2007, 08:22 AM
you can check the thermostat by putting it in a pot with water and boil it to see if it open.

Z U L8R
04-01-2007, 07:47 PM
it sounds like you still have an air pocket. suggest continuing to burp cooling system

if i have to take out a thermostat, i'm going back together with a new one.

confuscious say "a coolant temp sending unit is also an inexpensive part"

BlueHatch
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
even if the motor is not running hot? digital temp gun say 180-range even after idleing and road testing, so the motor is running fine it has to be something electrical . neither the temp gauge in the cluster or the external temp gauge reads the actual temp. whichever gauge is connected pins hot automatically

Z U L8R
04-03-2007, 07:54 AM
then replace the coolant temp sending unit. that's what gives the guage it's resistance. the coolant temp sensor tells the ecu the car is warm or cold so it can adjust fuel trim. if you've isolated the problem to just a faulty reading then start with the sending unit, it's cheap. you don't need the sensor i was just mentioning it so you don't get the two confused

Vteckidd
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
then replace the coolant temp sending unit. that's what gives the guage it's resistance. the coolant temp sensor tells the ecu the car is warm or cold so it can adjust fuel trim. if you've isolated the problem to just a faulty reading then start with the sending unit, it's cheap. you don't need the sensor i was just mentioning it so you don't get the two confused
Listen to this man.

If your Laser Temp gun is only registering 180 degrees, but your cluster is pegging hot, check ALL YOUR GROUNDS, and replace the thermostat and Coolant temp SEnding unit switch thingy, its on the side of the head.

BlueHatch
04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
you guys fuckin rock ill get it a shot and report back thanks guys!! is thingy a technical term? just joshin ya thanks again

BlueHatch
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
now is a coolent temp sending unit the same as a temp switch? if it is weve already swapped it with no effect. the guy at oreilly autoparts says its the same but you know how that goes

B18c1Turboed
04-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Autometer Water TEMP Gauge!!!

Z U L8R
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
usually at the parts store they ask if it's for the ecu, that would be the coolant temp sensor and that's not the part you want to try. coolant temp sending unit and temp switch are the same part. if you're already replaced it, #1 make sure it's the one for the car aka gauge cluster, NOT MOTOR, you're using. being that they're so easy to replace i'd try to warranty that part out, perhaps it was defective, and if it still does the same thing then the problem is either in the guage itself or there's a break in the wire. if there's a break in the wire you have 2 ways of fixing it. the professional way is to find the open and repair it, sometimes that's time consuming, sometimes it's easy to find. the other option is to run your own wire from the guage to the sending unit.

seniosoul
04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
BUY a new CLUSTER. ..test it out to see if it does the same thing. . .and if it doesnt then just keep it. ..and if it does just return it. . and keep tinkering

scttydb411
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
since the ecu is chipped i can hook up the laptop to see what the ecu is seeing. this will at least see if the ecu trims are getting all screwed up.

BlueHatch
04-05-2007, 08:51 PM
well i bought the switch that matches the cluster and ordered an autometer temp gauge with its own sensor. ill put it all in friday night. then hopefully ill be ready for ya scott. whens your earliest availability? i can just leave it at msp cause i need exhaust too. this is brian, we spoke on the phone a couple times in the past weeks. if you still have my number gimme a call and let me know when all of you guys can get to me

scttydb411
04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
charles will be out this weekend, but if you drop it off saturday he can do the exhaust tues and i'll tune it tues as well.