PDA

View Full Version : do you stop for funeral's???

SLOWR/T
03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
well i dont. i passed one (going the other way) and got pulled over. well i didnt get a ticket cause i told the cop that its not illegal but, he frowned on it and i went on my way. well some guys from work saw it and i caught hell from them the next day. they said that it was disrespectful. i told them i didnt know who they were so i didnt care for them to begin with. i have never stopped and was brought up that way. my parents are from michigan and the south is the only palce they have seen people stop. anyone else not stop?

seksehowy
03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
no.

phongt12
03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
wow i dont know why a cop would stop you for that... but i saw maybe one funeral once but didnt stop. funerals are usually for close friends and family, so it would be kind of intrusive imo. also, not everyone is going to have enough time to sit through the whole ceremony cause people have work, family, school, etc, which is a legitimate reason enough. although one thing i wouldnt do, of course, is not come to a funeral if i was expected to from someone.

Kamikaze
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm usually at a stop light or going in the opposite direction when I see a funeral procession, so no I don't purposely stop.

AnthonyF
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
i no stop. i hate when people stop in the middle of the road. i love when they pull over...zoom on by :)

TIGERJC
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I stop to show respect even though I don't know the person. I was brought up that way, and its not that big of deal for me to take time out of my life to show respect to the dead and to the grieving family

BuBBa DRiFT
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
i spool up and throw gang signs while i pass by.

AnthonyF
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM

lol:lmfao:

EvasiveEF9
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I stop. All the time. Every time. I DO pull off the road, though. I was born in the south, and raised in the south. Born in the country part, and that's where my parents were raised. I was raised up that way.

I stop, and usually sit in silence, and always turn my radio down.

Respect the dead. Even if you don't know them. You don't know what they may have done in their lifetime.

CSquared
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
To funeral line people... Sorry for your loss... but when i'm driving it's because i have places to be... not for the fun of it.

I've only encountered one in the last few years... and no i didnt stop.

Kamikaze
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone stop for a funeral procession. I do stop for ambulances/firetrucks though. At least those people have a chance. You can't do anything about dead people. They're either burning in Hell or having a party in Heaven so I don't think they really give a shit whether you stop or not. :D

But I do agree with the respect for the family's loss, so I'll stop next time. :yes:

OneSlow5pt0
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
i stop

Wurm
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
i wait for a passing line and hurry by them one by one

quickdodge®
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
i love when they pull over...zoom on by :)

Reps for you, dummy.

Thus proving that idiocies know no bounds in your life.

lol

Birds of a feather.

I stop. Out of respect. It only takes a minute or two and then you're on your way. You idiots that make the dumbass comments(the two quoted above) are about as stupid as they come. Both of you have proven that time and again. I wouldn't expect anything less(or definitely more) from you both. Later, QD.

JConner
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
wow i dont know why a cop would stop you for that... but i saw maybe one funeral once but didnt stop. funerals are usually for close friends and family, so it would be kind of intrusive imo. also, not everyone is going to have enough time to sit through the whole ceremony cause people have work, family, school, etc, which is a legitimate reason enough. although one thing i wouldnt do, of course, is not come to a funeral if i was expected to from someone.

lol i dont think he meant an actual funeral, just the procession (sp?).:D

edit: then again I guess you did answer the real question he asked! haha!

BuBBa DRiFT
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
qd follows the funeral in hopes he might find a ghost to hunt.

quickdodge®
03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
qd follows the funeral in hopes he might find a ghost to hunt.

You have no idea how stupid that reads.

Just as you are commonly seen following school buses hoping that someone will "drop some knowledge" off of it so you can try to pick some up. Later, QD.

onebadbird96
03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
it takes a dick not to stop show some respect

onebadbird96
03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
I stop to show respect even though I don't know the person. I was brought up that way, and its not that big of deal for me to take time out of my life to show respect to the dead and to the grieving family:stupid:

Sol-Badguy
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Birds of a feather.

I stop. Out of respect. It only takes a minute or two and then you're on your way. You idiots that make the dumbass comments(the two quoted above) are about as stupid as they come. Both of you have proven that time and again. I wouldn't expect anything less(or definitely more) from you both. Later, QD.
Couldn't have said it better.

BuBBa DRiFT
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Just as you are commonly seen following school buses hoping that someone will "drop some knowledge" off of it so you can try to pick some up. Later, QD.

OMGOSH! is this a joke!! Am I on Yo Mama! right now?!

wheres elmer from That 70s Show, I know hes here. Where is he!?

on 3
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Reps for you, dummy.

Thus proving that idiocies know no bounds in your life.

Birds of a feather.

oh my god i agree with QD
its total respect
in alabama its the law

05Tib
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
always stop but as others have said, i was raised southern, its just what u do

BKgen®
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I stop. All the time. Every time. I DO pull off the road, though. I was born in the south, and raised in the south. Born in the country part, and that's where my parents were raised. I was raised up that way.

Respect the dead. Even if you don't know them. You don't know what they may have done in their lifetime.

x2.

even if i'm just driving by a funeral home i turn my radio down. don't know why. never really thought about it. just seemed like the respectful thing to do.

BuBBa DRiFT
03-29-2007, 08:00 PM
in all honesty and seriousness, i do stop for funerals no matter what im doing. ive never been in a situation where i was late so i dont know how i would react, i guess it depends on how late i am lol

cactusEG
03-29-2007, 08:01 PM

:yes: :goodjob: its just showing respect for any one even the dead .

VooDooXII
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I've never been by a funeral.

Krazykouki
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I stop. Its about respect, something quite a few people on this site don't know about.

quickdodge®
03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
OMGOSH! is this a joke!! Am I on Yo Mama! right now?!

wheres elmer from That 70s Show, I know hes here. Where is he!?

I'm going to let this take itself out for me. Later, QD.

Tasuki_Civic
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
i think its disrespectful to not stop or to cut in the line of the funeral. ive seen a couple pple who have done that. its selfish because if it was your mother that got raped and killed or was in a fatal accident that wasnt her fault.......and your grieving over her you wouldnt want some inconsiderate asshole to do that to your mothers funeral.
you would think they would respect what you are trying to do for your family or mom and not be so worried about traffic and themselves. it only takes a few mintues out of your time. no need to rush anywhere these days unless it crossing a finish line.

EvasiveEF9
03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Reps given to those that stop (if I could) and those especially that said it's "respectful"

It really is. You don't know how they died, or what they've done in their life, and as stated, it takes only a minute. If I pass a funeral, or the procession, I turn my radio to mute, I slow my car down, and keep RPMs to a bare minimum. If I'm on foot, I stand facing square to the procession in dead silence...even if I'm in the middle of a conversation.

RandomGuy
03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
WTF are you guys talking about lol i've never experienced this or even heard of it... plz explain

I been living in the south for 15+ years (fla, GA, etc)

and i've never even heard of this shit even once..

so is it customary to stop on the side of a road when a funeral is in session at a cemetary? Or is it when they're driving in single file in a caravan (i've seen this before but only like once or twice).... I just keep driving bc they usually drive like 30-50mph in a 55 zone.

Please explain, whities.

man
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
WTF are you guys talking about lol i've never experienced this or even heard of it... plz explain

I been living in the south for 15+ years (fla, GA, etc)

and i've never even heard of this shit even once..

so is it customary to stop on the side of a road when a funeral is in session at a cemetary? Or is it when they're driving in single file in a caravan (i've seen this before but only like once or twice).... I just keep driving bc they usually drive like 30-50mph in a 55 zone.

Please explain, whities.

I think this is what the thread is about. I was wondering the same thing at first.

EvasiveEF9
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
LoL @ whities...

In the south, (and I thought across the nation) it's just respectful that if you see a caravan, you pull just off to the side of the road and stop until the cars pass by. If you're behind them, you usually just look for another route, but you don't pass them (unless you're on the highway, which I've never seen before). If there funeral is in session at a cemetary or whatnot, most people turn down their music, and try to quietly pass by simply out of respect for the grieving, and mourning. They have many memories going through their minds...they don't need Jay-Z and LinkinPark's latest mix blaring in the background when they're trying to remember their lost friend or family member. It's a time to remember time spent with the one that was lost. Not be distracted.

That's my thoughts, anyways. They have enough going on as it is without me zipping by. And honestly, if I was in the caravan, and I saw people pull over, I could only hope that their respect comes back on them 10-fold for respecting my lost member.

I know some people who even stop, get out, and stand beside their car with their head bowed and hands down. I've done this one. And I do it only for military, fireman, and/or anyone providing a service that saves lives, or protects our country's rights and priveleges.

Jaimecbr900
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
People that are so into themselves that they can't stop for a funeral driving by which takes about 60 secs at most are truly disrepectful.

I stop at all of them and turn down the radio if it's on and get off the phone if I'm on it. It is disrespectful not to IMO. What's wrong with some of you? Why not run the redlight or drive on the wrong side of the road since you're in such a damn hurry??? :rolleyes: If you're a REAL driver, you'll make up the 30 secs you just lost being respectful on the road ahead of you..... ;)

RandomGuy
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
LoL @ whities...

In the south, (and I thought across the nation) it's just respectful that if you see a caravan, you pull just off to the side of the road and stop until the cars pass by. If you're behind them, you usually just look for another route, but you don't pass them (unless you're on the highway, which I've never seen before). If there funeral is in session at a cemetary or whatnot, most people turn down their music, and try to quietly pass by simply out of respect for the grieving, and mourning. They have many memories going through their minds...they don't need Jay-Z and LinkinPark's latest mix blaring in the background when they're trying to remember their lost friend or family member. It's a time to remember time spent with the one that was lost. Not be distracted.

That's my thoughts, anyways. They have enough going on as it is without me zipping by. And honestly, if I was in the caravan, and I saw people pull over, I could only hope that their respect comes back on them 10-fold for respecting my lost member.

I know some people who even stop, get out, and stand beside their car with their head bowed and hands down. I've done this one. And I do it only for military, fireman, and/or anyone providing a service that saves lives, or protects our country's rights and priveleges.
yeah the only times i've ever seen them is on the highway.. going like 15 mph slower than the speed limit, natural reaction is to zip by and try to cut in the middle and then brake check the rest of the people in line...

RandomGuy
03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
People that are so into themselves that they can't stop for a funeral driving by which takes about 60 secs at most are truly disrepectful.

I stop at all of them and turn down the radio if it's on and get off the phone if I'm on it. It is disrespectful not to IMO. What's wrong with some of you? Why not run the redlight or drive on the wrong side of the road since you're in such a damn hurry??? :rolleyes: If you're a REAL driver, you'll make up the 30 secs you just lost being respectful on the road ahead of you..... ;)
lol today is the first time i've heard of this tradition in my 15 years in the south... No joke.

I guess people don't die in lilburn.

haha and i live LITERALLY adjacent to a cemetary (the one down the street from mahdavi)

I've NEVER seen this happen... only time i saw it was when on a road trip on the highway in like NC or something

EvasiveEF9
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
If you're on the highway, then I can understand passing...but don't interfere with their procession.

Kyle
03-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I do an ultra loud ricer flyby when I see one.

EvasiveEF9
03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I do an ultra loud ricer flyby when I see one.
Damn Euro's...just a bunch of ricer wannabe's

RandomGuy
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
If you're on the highway, then I can understand passing...but don't interfere with their procession.
yeah but define interfering with their procession.

Was I in the wrong for driving parallel to them and then giving them three honks and then dropping to 2nd and gunning it.

Jaimecbr900
03-29-2007, 10:27 PM
lol today is the first time i've heard of this tradition in my 15 years in the south... No joke.

I guess people don't die in lilburn.

haha and i live LITERALLY adjacent to a cemetary (the one down the street from mahdavi)

I've NEVER seen this happen... only time i saw it was when on a road trip on the highway in like NC or something

You gotta be kidding. I see one atleast once a month if not more. You do realize what one looks like, right??? :D

I really think it's disrespectful not to. Honestly.

Elbow
I stop.

EvasiveEF9
yeah but define interfering with their procession.

Was I in the wrong for driving parallel to them and then giving them three honks and then dropping to 2nd and gunning it.
...I'm gonna go with yes.

By "interfering" I mean cutting in the line, gettin in front and slowing down, tailgating the last guy, revving against them, honking at them etc. Just move two lanes over and pass slowly. They don't expect to stop a highway...but they probably do expect respect. And when they get it, they're more greatful than you'd think.

JConner
03-30-2007, 05:17 PM
You gotta be kidding. I see one atleast once a month if not more. You do realize what one looks like, right??? :D

I really think it's disrespectful not to. Honestly.

yea i def. see and STOP for atleast 1 per month. heck, in the past 6 months ive been in 4 myself for family members that passed. And most of the time everyone we pass pulls over to the side. I cain't believe people have never heard of this!

Kyle
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Honeslty I think it is respectful. And when you are in the procession it is nice to see people acknowledging it and stopping. I can't explain it, but thats how I have felt. So yes I stop.