PDA

View Full Version : craigslist scams

AltimaCharlie
03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
so i have my 1983 datsun 280zx for sale on craigslist. well long story i get a guy who says he whats it, and will pay shipping. so i thought he was weird because of the way his messeges where worded, but i didn't worry to much cause i wanted to sell my car. so i'm supposed to pay the "shipper" out of the money he sent{kinda weird , why didn't he just pay them?} anyway i got 2 "money orders" yesterday for a thousand bucks a piece. did i mention the car is only $350? also stangely the evelope has no return address, and seems to be air mail from France or somewhere. so i'm sure these money orders would come back to bite me in ass for sure. i think they would clear and then the bank or store would be looking for me after a month or so. anybody ever been scammed like this before? what are the risk? i still don't know how he was planning to get me. all he has on me is my address.

civicS14
03-27-2007, 09:16 AM
it is a scam... is it not obvious enough? it goes on daily on ebay and craigslist...

thinkfast®
CASH EM HOMEY, I DONT SEE THE PROBLEM WITH IT.. I WOULD

MATTER A FACT IM WAITIN ON A "DUDE" FROM "COLORADO" TO SEND ME SOME CASH ON SOMETHIN AS WELL FROM CRAIGSLIST, TOLD ME HE'D PAY ME $250 EXTRA TO REMOVE THE LISTING WTF?? YEA PAL ILL REMOVE IT LOL

toofancy83
ya its a scam, they sent me 2 checks for 5k each, didnt fall for that

speedminded
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Take them to a check cashing place and see what happens... ;)

toph
03-27-2007, 09:20 AM
cash the money orders...guaranteed to bounce

IDCoconut
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Money orders don't "bounce". They're fake money orders and you can get in some deep shit trying to cash those. Becareful.

thinkfast®
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I would maybe open up another account thru a diff bank and cash em out, then take off to Mexico and escape the federalis

thinkfast®
03-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Money orders don't "bounce". They're fake money orders and you can get in some deep shit trying to cash those. Becareful.

could you write em out to someone else? I mean like, paying at a store w/ em

Jaimecbr900
03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
This is the classic Nigerian scam.

They send you well over what the product is listed for so you "return the difference and the item to them" :rolleyes: .

Don't fall for this. If you do, then you truly deserve what you get. When you're dealing with strangers, nothing is for free.

Don't cash the M.O.'s, they're fakes. Keep them as souvenirs if you want, but whatever you do DON'T send them your car. Besides, where are you supposed to send it to???? :thinking: ;)

ubers2k
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
could you write em out to someone else? I mean like, paying at a store w/ em

shit, I'd do that. lol

Doppelgänger
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
welcome to 2001, thats shits been going on for years, you haven't heard about it? What i would do, since you have the opportunity, fuck with them.

Tell them you are going to go ahead and cover shipping and everything. Get a medium sized box and a envelope. Go to toys r us and get a matchbox/hotwheels 280ZX. Put the toy car in the box. Now take the envelope and fill it with some goody's headache powder with a letter attached that says "anthrax is a bitch" and send it.

Doppelgänger
03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
better yet, post up any address you have ben given to send shit to... i mean, they want the money back. How are you supposed to send the extra money back?

thinkfast®
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
yo Mike you white boy stoners are crazy mane

CRAZY

Doppelgänger
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
yo Mike you white boy stoners are crazy mane

CRAZY
Ricky, be afraid....very afraid....for i dont do drugs.. thats a completely sober thought/idea :ninja:

OneSlow5pt0
03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
welcome to 2001, thats shits been going on for years, you haven't heard about it? What i would do, since you have the opportunity, fuck with them.

Tell them you are going to go ahead and cover shipping and everything. Get a medium sized box and a envelope. Go to toys r us and get a matchbox/hotwheels 280ZX. Put the toy car in the box. Now take the envelope and fill it with some goody's headache powder with a letter attached that says "anthrax is a bitch" and send it.
:lmfao:

thinkfast®
03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I smell BS

Brett
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
This scam is so old, Its a REPOST!!! :lmfao:

civic95
03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
When buying or selling on craigslist.

Rule #1: Do not buy a car that you cannot see in person.

Rule #2: Only accept cash or a certified cashiers check (and make the person go to your bank to verify it before handing the keys over).

There are lots of scams out there. The best way to tell is to look at the ad. If there is no phone # it's a scam. If you cannot meet the person face to face it's a scam.

ShooterMcGavin
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
thats why i say in all my listings LOCALS AND CASH ONLY :goodjob:

streetdreamz
03-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't cash em buddy. The money orders are fakes. You can cash them and get the cash, but after a while the bank will find out they're phonies and guess who's on candid camera cashing them? That's right...you! I got a friend that is up the creek right now for phony checks. You can choose the red pill or the blue pill homie.

AltimaCharlie
03-30-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks guys, i have a security officer for my company taking care of it. she wants to bust this guy. i was pretty sure it was a scam early on. if someone wants a datsun z they usally ask a couple of q? about the car.