PDA

View Full Version : Damn u 5speed

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
the stick shift is kicking my ass,its my 2nd day..and im still stalling:cry:

once i get going its golden,can turn ,up shift, down shift right and stop but when start to go i buck it,ill keep trying but its very fustrating

Jecht
03-25-2007, 08:43 PM

once i get going its golden,can turn ,up shift, down shift right and stop but when start to go i buck it,ill keep trying but its very fustrating

Don't worry, it won't take you long to get past that part. My gf is still learning and its so funny to see her drive my car. This is why my clutch feels funny now and my front tires have no traction. :lmao:

EDIT:
Here is a little tip I've taught my gf to use - its always better to rev it up too high then let the clutch out than it is to not rev it enough and then stall. Revving too high only makes you look like a ricer, stalling out makes you look like you can't drive. :goodjob:

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Don't worry, it won't take you long to get past that part. My gf is still learning and its so funny to see her drive my car. This is why my clutch feels funny now and my front tires have no traction. :lmao:

yea, i stalled it in my neighood at a stop sign 5 straight times,and these 12 years olds were laughing at me,so i flicked them off...then i kinda felt bad,but i was so pissed

EvasiveEF9
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
...let the clutch out slower. Or give it just a tad more gas. With my car, I know I bring the rpms up just a little by giving it the slightest amount of gas. Then start letting the clutch engage, and the more it engages, I give it a little more gas until it's fully engaged. Then give it all the gas I want.

It's all in timing and ratios. Kind of like when you stop. When you stop, you don't just push the pedal down to a certain place and hold it there. You let up a little bit if you're going to stop too soon, and push harder if you're stopping too slowly. And for a SMOOTH stop, you just barely let up on the brake pedal as your car is approaching a complete halt in order to prevent your head from moving around...anyone else ever noticed themselves doing this?

EvasiveEF9
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM

EDIT:
Here is a little tip I've taught my gf to use - its always better to rev it up too high then let the clutch out than it is to not rev it enough and then stall. Revving too high only makes you look like a ricer, stalling out makes you look like you can't drive. :goodjob:
LoL, hardcore tip. It's true, though. That and it's funny cuz you sound like you're burning out forever...but really you're just frying a clutch, LoL.

Hypno...fuck the 12yr olds. Wait til they try learning.

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
lucky. i'd rather have a 5spd. 6spd is a bitch in heavy traffic coming home on 400north.
hope you get the hang of it though :goodjob:

Jecht
03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
lucky. i'd rather have a 5spd. 6spd is a bitch in heavy traffic coming home on 400north.
I imagine so, shorter gearing and more gears. fun! :lmfao:

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 08:52 PM
LoL, hardcore tip. It's true, though. That and it's funny cuz you sound like you're burning out forever...but really you're just frying a clutch, LoL.

Hypno...fuck the 12yr olds. Wait til they try learning.

lol i think i did that yesterday,when i started it sounded like a burnout

Jecht
03-25-2007, 08:57 PM
lol i think i did that yesterday,when i started it sounded like a burnout

Well, it will respond like this:
Too much gas, let out clutch slowly - burn the clutch
Too much gas, letting clutch out suddenly - burnout/spinning wheels
Too little gas, let out clutch slowly - car shudders and shakes
Too little gas, letting clutch out suddenly - car stalls immediately

The first two aren't so bad because you still move forwards. The third is easily solved, just quickly push the clutch in.

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, it will respond like this:
Too much gas, let out clutch slowly - burn the clutch
Too much gas, letting clutch out suddenly - burnout/spinning wheels
Too little gas, let out clutch slowly - car shudders and shakes
Too little gas, letting clutch out suddenly - car stalls immediately

The first two aren't so bad because you still move forwards. The third is easily solved, just quickly push the clutch in.

thats me,does that then stalls..see im scared to give to much gas and kill the clutch

00CelicaGT
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
i think i was ment to drive a manual car cuz when i was in 8th grade my step dad taught me how to drive a manual car and i got out of first gear the first time i tryed, so just keep trying and u will get it. lol at the finger to the little kids.:lmfao: :lmfao:

p.s. beware if u haven't tryed them yet, but he hills are going to kick ur ass too.

Jecht
03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
i think i was ment to drive a manual car cuz when i was in 8th grade my step dad taught me how to drive a manual car and i got out of first gear the first time i tryed, so just keep trying and u will get it. lol at the finger to the little kids.:lmfao: :lmfao:

p.s. beware if u haven't tryed them yet, but he hills are going to kick ur ass too.
Yeah, don't go up a hill and stop at ANY point until you are used to the clutch & gas.

Mr_Mischif
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM

not if he redlines before going through them LOL

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, don't go up a hill and stop at ANY point until you are used to the clutch & gas.

fo sho, i went and try it today..i got up one time out of like 12,lol...hills are way down road,if can get starting down,ill be on top of the world

EvasiveEF9
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
No...no, 400 just sucks ALL the time no matter what you're in.

thats me,does that then stalls..see im scared to give to much gas and kill the clutch
When it starts doing this, just push the clutch back in or give it a little more gas. Sure, it puts wear on the clutch, but you'd have to do it many times to really KILL the clutch. Don't be skird.

p.s. beware if u haven't tryed them yet, but he hills are going to kick ur ass too.Well aren't you just a tough guy... :tongue1:

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 10:02 PM
No...no, 400 just sucks ALL the time no matter what you're in.

hahaha, you speak the truth my friend.

scabtastic
03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
on a hill you should be able to keep the car completely still without using the brake...then you know you have it down...but at stop signs what i use to do...is let out the clutch until the car would pull itself and then ease on the gas....it wont do that on a hill....but you'll get use to where you need to start applying pressure to the gas compared to where the clutch is.

EvasiveEF9
03-25-2007, 10:15 PM
on a hill you should be able to keep the car completely still without using the brake...then you know you have it down...but at stop signs what i use to do...is let out the clutch until the car would pull itself and then ease on the gas....it wont do that on a hill....but you'll get use to where you need to start applying pressure to the gas compared to where the clutch is.
:yes:

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 10:37 PM

thanks,yea ill try to give more gas 2morow...and im not driving any other cars but mine,anymore...that way i can keep the feel of my car

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
so r u gonna tokyo drift it or what? that would be mad jdm tyte y0. :jerkit:

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 10:40 PM
lol,not yet think ill learn how to drive first

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
haha, good plan. some people don't think that far ahead. *cough* nick hogan *cough*

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
lol,true...i guess vipers like tasting wall

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
only when dumbasses are behind the wheel. the one thing you should get from a car like that is oversteer... but i guess it takes a special type of individual to produce understeer from a v10 sports car.

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 10:49 PM
lol,hes got supras,they arnt good anuff..i guess

bluuuurr
03-25-2007, 11:12 PM
speaking of Miata's in griffin, have you seen that gomer with the blue Miata w/ricer exhaust?

I swear to god, everytime I go to griffin, he's trying to race somebody in afternoon traffic

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
no,but i wount doubt it...griffin got more rice than el charro

bluuuurr
03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah, that group of kids that hang out in that ghetto parking lot by the post office.. wtf man.. lol

OneSlow5pt0
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
i hangout downtown,across the street from BK,but my people are non-rice

ksinao
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
i just learned a few weeks ago, so i feel you. the thing i wish more people told me when i was learning is let out the clutch slowwwwwww

bluuuurr
03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
really? i went down there a couple times a few years ago.. i used to have a white civic with a b16

Frög
03-25-2007, 11:52 PM
for real?

BKgen®
03-25-2007, 11:55 PM
i just learned a few weeks ago, so i feel you. the thing i wish more people told me when i was learning is let out the clutch slowwwwwww

what really sucks is changing parts in the tranny like clutch, f/w, etc. After i put on my I/H/E, i had a shop put in a CM stg. II clutch & fidanza f/w... had to get a feel for the clutch all over again.

CSquared
03-25-2007, 11:55 PM
You don't want to stall... rev to 5k and take your foot off the clutch as fast as you can.

Seriously though you'll get the hang of it after a while. When you first start you really have to think about what you are doing, but like anything else, with repitition it becomes second nature.

babowc
03-26-2007, 12:00 AM
hm..
i got my shit down coming home when i bought my first 240sx..
i stalled probably 1/2 of the stops i made...

went to get some gas and stalled about 100000000 times trying to come out of the pump.. OH the embarassment.. OMG there were SO many eyes on me that day.. fucking a..

you'll get the hang of it.. just go somewhere really crowded and start driving, that'll get you to get the hang of it QUICK.

hehe

btw.. usually when i stalled, my car ran all funny and shit for awhile.
maybe unburnt gas or something, dunno.
wat car do you have?

OneSlow5pt0
03-26-2007, 12:35 AM
really? i went down there a couple times a few years ago.. i used to have a white civic with a b16

yea,im down there on fridays and saturdays useally,theirs a dark blue turboed 2JZ MK3 supra,a turboed SR20 silvia,EVO 8 with few mods,and i used to have a RX-7,but now im rolling a miata...but thats bout it,rest is rice

OneSlow5pt0
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
thanks for all the tips,hope 2morrow will be better....so far i love this car,just gotta drive it right,lol

ksinao
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
what really sucks is changing parts in the tranny like clutch, f/w, etc. After i put on my I/H/E, i had a shop put in a CM stg. II clutch & fidanza f/w... had to get a feel for the clutch all over again.

yeah, i got to learn for about a week, then i put a new clutch in. i had to relearn it all over. going from a dead clutch to a brand new one is quite a change.

OneSlow5pt0
03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
yeah, i got to learn for about a week, then i put a new clutch in. i had to relearn it all over. going from a dead clutch to a brand new one is quite a change.

that was one good thing bout the car i bought everything was changed on it 300 miles ago..had a whole tuneup,and brand new tires

LS2ner
03-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I learned to drive a stick in my uncles 325. He went to the hospital parking lot and i just drove for like 4 hours. What fucked me up was getting on the interstate and going from 2nd gear all the way to 5th. My integra was my first manual car i owned...it took me about a day to get used to it. I remember stalling it about 6 times in the parking lot at my highschool lol. After a couple of months tho i was able to start out in 3rd gear from a red light lol. The thing to remember is that if you feel that ur not giving it enough gas, then your not. When ur releasing the clutch the rpms are gonna fall, so just release the clutch slowly and give it a little extra gas. Your not gonna burn out if u release it slowly.. you'll just creep foward.

Revmaynard
03-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I think if you can get the clutch out to the point without giving it gas where it starts to pull and then let on the gas a little and then let the clutch out all the way since you'll have it rolling already. It should help, that's how I learned

RandomGuy
03-26-2007, 01:36 AM
the very ghetto rigged way i taught my homie (seriously... if u wanna get good)

just raise the idle 300-500rpm ... sure you'll burn a little gas... but you'll save that in clutch(learning).

That way you just ease the clutch up and not even worry about gas. And eventually you slowly turn the idle back down, but you'll get the hang of it by then. Its more of a confidence boost, you know you wont stall on that light at the hill with traffic behind you, or the thought that you'll back into the person who is on your ass (which never happens, when you roll it feels like you roll alot, but its usually not even a foot.)

orrrrr... when you're in traffic just put it in reverse.... rev to 7k and dump the clutch, it will create a paradoxial net force and your car will inch forward, then you quickly shift to first and go. :)

OneSlow5pt0
03-26-2007, 01:45 AM

just raise the idle 300-500rpm ... sure you'll burn a little gas... but you'll save that in clutch(learning).

That way you just ease the clutch up and not even worry about gas. And eventually you slowly turn the idle back down, but you'll get the hang of it by then. Its more of a confidence boost, you know you wont stall on that light at the hill with traffic behind you, or the thought that you'll back into the person who is on your ass (which never happens, when you roll it feels like you roll alot, but its usually not even a foot.)

orrrrr... when you're in traffic just put it in reverse.... rev to 7k and dump the clutch, it will create a paradoxial net force and your car will inch forward, then you quickly shift to first and go. :)

might have to try the idle thing,i mean i get like 30mpg i think i can spare alittle,if it will get be rolling better

RandomGuy
03-26-2007, 02:11 AM
might have to try the idle thing,i mean i get like 30mpg i think i can spare alittle,if it will get be rolling better
what about the second idea...

but seriously dude, you need to start double clutching like you should. Double clutching helps when in traffic, it keeps your clutch spinning while the car is stationary. Just slightly hold your brakes down, and then let the clutch up harshly twice really hard (double clutching)

LS2ner
03-26-2007, 03:54 AM
what about the second idea...

but seriously dude, you need to start double clutching like you should. Double clutching helps when in traffic, it keeps your clutch spinning while the car is stationary. Just slightly hold your brakes down, and then let the clutch up harshly twice really hard (double clutching)

whats sad is that most people dont even know what double clutching really is or why/what it was used for.

BKgen®
03-26-2007, 06:57 AM

but doesn't that require a flux capacitor? :lmfao:

AgentEasy
03-26-2007, 07:17 AM

one.. feather the gas.. like pumping it.. but VERY lightly... keep your rpms around 2k when your letting off the clutch

two.. remember that when the stick is sitting by itself it's in the 3/4th shift line which means oyu just need to push it up to put it in 3rd..

three.. it just takes time.. sit in a parking lot and just start and stop.. thats how i learned.. once oyu get it down good, you can stop granny shifting and double clutch like you oughta.. lol but relly you'll get the hang of it.. like when your sitting around.. practice.. use you feet and hands..lol an after about 2 weeks.. you wont even think about what about your doing..

Doppelgänger
03-26-2007, 07:35 AM
every car i've has since i have had a license has been a 5-speed...wont get an autoshitmatic.

Don't worry about completely killing a clutch, the factory one is meant for some abuse and will last quite sometime. Even if you do kill it, its not a hard repair...really, i've pulled a trans. on a miata about 6 times.

Echonova
03-26-2007, 07:43 AM
whats sad is that most people dont even know what double clutching really is or why/what it was used for.

That's because cars have syncro's now. As for learning on hills, pull up the E-brake (keep your hand on the button) gas + clutch when you feel the car start to pull foward let the E-brake go... Keeps you from rolling into the guy who stopped .324 inches from your rear bumper..:goodjob:

AgentEasy
03-26-2007, 07:46 AM
That's because cars have syncro's now. As for learning on hills, pull up the E-brake (keep your hand on the button) gas + clutch when you feel the car start to pull foward let the E-brake go... Keeps you from rolling into the guy who stopped .324 inches from your rear bumper..:goodjob:

i hate that shit.. and LOL +1 for j00..

Jecht
03-26-2007, 07:46 AM
every car i've has since i have had a license has been a 5-speed...wont get an autoshitmatic.

Don't worry about completely killing a clutch, the factory one is meant for some abuse and will last quite sometime. Even if you do kill it, its not a hard repair...really, i've pulled a trans. on a miata about 6 times.
Lol @ you guys.... a Miata would be easy as hell to replace the clutch in. MY CAR on the other hand, no. lol :(

AgentEasy
03-26-2007, 07:52 AM
same hear.. the lancer, you have to drop the motor..=ghey..

BKgen®
03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
same hear.. the lancer, you have to drop the motor..=ghey..

x3

Echonova
03-26-2007, 08:02 AM
SR20DET + RWD = not so bad.

Doppelgänger
03-26-2007, 08:03 AM
miatas don't even have a transmission brace to take off... just a pain in the ass PPF :(

seriously though, go find a neighborhood thats being built and go drive in there following stops signs and what not... hopefully it will have a steep hill to practice stopping and starting on.

AnthonyF
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
everyone stalls no biggie. i do it on occasion, like once every few months. I stalled 2 weeks ago. Some guy was letting me out in traffic, and i wasn't paying attention (trying to put on seatbelt) i was o shit...gotta go...putt..putt...damn i stalled it! hahahaha. o'well. I laugh it off everytime.

pull into a parking lot with an incline and work on that. thats what makes u better.

BKgen®
03-26-2007, 08:55 AM
lol yeah i've been driving for 4 years now and i just stalled out a few days ago. first reaction is just to chuckle and kinda look around to see if anyone saw you.

EvasiveEF9
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
lol yeah i've been driving for 4 years now and i just stalled out a few days ago. first reaction is just to chuckle and kinda look around to see if anyone saw you.
...like chicks. Can't pick up chicks when you're too busy stalling.

OneSlow5pt0
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
lol,yea...all im doing is driving round my little neighborhood...not hitting the streets for awhile,it fustrating cause everything else iv done id pick it up fast...and im still trying to drive it like a auto too

RandomGuy
03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
dude dont listen to these mofos... the only way you're going to learn is through fucking up
this is real talk

when i got my first car i was on the road the next day with only basic manual training.... Its stalling and getting embarrassed that makes you learn.

Echonova
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
What 'till you get used to it, then drive an auto. You'll come to a stop and try an push the clutch in...

BKgen®
03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
...like chicks. Can't pick up chicks when you're too busy stalling.

lol exactly. it only happens once in a blue moon like when you get in a hurry, but when it does you feel like a dumbass.

Hektik
03-27-2007, 12:57 AM
i was going to mention the e-break thing but someone beat me to it..lol..

stalling is part of learning... just get out on the streets and do it.. 2k rpm's should be enough just hold it there. its kinda tricky cause ur brain is going " ok so right foot stay still, left foot remove yourself from the pedal slowly, left eye watch revs,right eye watch road, left hand control the steering, right hand control stick shift, ears listen to engine" and ur all like fuck what the hell is going on.....

ur clutch should hold for a while... shit my old integra i taught 4 people how to drive stick. and still had a pretty good life left on it....

Flip
03-27-2007, 03:17 AM
^ ebrake thing is great!!! I still use it sometimes even though I've driven a 5 (or 6) speed for 9 years...

I actually feel like i'm learning all over again too since my new clutch is so agressive...

Frög
03-27-2007, 03:26 AM
my gf ownz at driving a stick..:D

Kamikaze
03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
My Jetta was a 5spd. Unfortunately I never mastered it before I sold it.

LiL PaKi
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
manual FTW!.. I learned how to drive by just watchin my brothers drive a stick... i caught on over the years then one day jumped in the car and drove... drove for hours the first day and got the hang of it...

Nemesis
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Next time while you're driving hit the brake pedal with your left foot. Report back what happens. LOL