PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get started into an "office type" job?

HyPer50
03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, I dont have any previous experience, nor any education in the field. I'm trying to find out how and what position I should be looking forward to just get in the door at these types of places. I've been looking at "data entry" positions since I type close to 70wpm and have good accuracy, but it seems the majority of those type jobs are more like "secretary" jobs, and I think they are looking more for an attractive girl, than a fat guy to fill these positions...

What positions should I be looking for? I'm a quick and eager learner, I have excellent computer skills, so I dont really see why I couldn't atleast get an entry level type job in these places. Any advice would be much appreciated ASAP as I'm unemployed and am wanting to start a career, not take a step back to my old jobs. Thanks.

2.0civic
03-23-2007, 09:19 AM
alot of my jobs ive had (as bad as this sounds) started out with not what you know but WHO you know...i NEVER would have gotten my cingular gig if a buddy of mine wouldnt have got me on. Now im with sprint and they werent even hiring and my buddy got me on there when he went back and its the BEST job ive ever had. M-F 10-6

good luck

candy2082002
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I wish I could get you a job here baby, but I can't so please anyone if you have any advise we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!!!!!!

BuBBa DRiFT
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
70gwam is nothing that special, i was tested at 130 average in school.

my generation > yours :-P

candy2082002
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Want a cookie that doesn't help us at all :2up:

HyPer50
03-23-2007, 10:20 AM

I wasn't gloating.. Was just saying, I type 70wpm, which is usually more than is required for office type jobs. Thanks anyways. I understand why you have the red rep heh.

candy2082002
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I wasn't gloating.. Was just saying, I type 70wpm, which is usually more than is required for office type jobs. Thanks anyways. I understand why you have the red rep heh.

you are so much nicer then I am lol

chrisdavis
03-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Maybe something in the mailroom?

Blitanicle99
03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
My buddy Kyle Roach has been working for Welstar tech support and computer systems since he was in highschool. Without his degree he was making bank money, while working there he got his degree at kennesaw and at 24 has quite a high position. Maybe try applying there? I asked him about openings myself for the summer but really havent gotten any real response.
You have to be real real good with computers to do stuff like that.

candy2082002
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
He is really good with computers WAY smarter then 99% percent of the IT guys at my company.

Julio
03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.virtualvocations.com/newjobs/

Ehron
03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I think the first step you need to take is figure out what it is you would like to do. Do you "want" to do data entry, or do you think you will hate it less than whatever you currently do?

Realistically, if you want to enter a new field you should get some kind of training in said field. If you want to work in computers go to technical college, if you want to be an accountant go to a community college to begin with, etc.

candy2082002
03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Well he took alot of classes on computers so he is "trained" that way...........he just needs to get his foot in the door.

HyPer50
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I think the first step you need to take is figure out what it is you would like to do. Do you "want" to do data entry, or do you think you will hate it less than whatever you currently do?

It's not that I neccesarily want to do data entry, cause I certainly wouldn't want to do it forever, it's just the only office type job that doesn't seem to require a degree of some sort or years of experience. My hope is that starting off at data entry will lead to further advancement within the company.

Ehron
03-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Right, but advancement in what direction? Do you want to work in HR, the financial side of business, IT? Do you aspire to become CEO, or do you just want a salary that affords you a bitchin bass boat? My point is you need some direction in mind besides "up." The head of building services (janitor boss) makes more than an entry level data entry person would, and he works in an office. See my point?

Anyways, good luck.

HyPer50
03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Right, but advancement in what direction? Do you want to work in HR, the financial side of business, IT? Do you aspire to become CEO, or do you just want a salary that affords you a bitchin bass boat? My point is you need some direction in mind besides "up." The head of building services (janitor boss) makes more than an entry level data entry person would, and he works in an office. See my point?

Anyways, good luck.

Basically I want to be financially secure, and not have to worry too much about having enough to afford the basic pleasures. I've never had a job that earned more than $10/hr. I tried my hand recently at hard labor and found that I really can't do that, atleast not at this time. So that narrows my "career" path somewhat to an office type job. I have no clue what direction I want to go other than up... Sales, accounting, IT, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be good at sales since my social skills are lacking, but I just want to get started off in an office type job (not scrubing the floors) and see what parts of it I enjoyed and what not. I'm not sure, I just am tired of having jobs that I'm just at for a little bit of money and have no real intention of sticking around with it. Ready for more of a "career"

SLow_POke
03-24-2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.appleone.com/CareerSearch/mcs_searchResults.aspx
the agency that my wife use to work for back in cali . alot of administrative jobs

seksehowy
03-24-2007, 11:35 PM
edu-ma-cation..but really, if you have time getting an associate degree or something that would open a few doors for you. But if you try hard enough u'll force one to open, if there's a will theres a way....hope that help a bit? :\

"B"
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Try starting off with a company as a call center assciate. You can be a fat guy there. Then you can work your way up from the call center from there. Its sounds shitty, but it really isn't that bad. Plus if you are goo dand have a good company, you can get out of the call center quickly.