PDA

View Full Version : Sticky this bitch: Shallow staging and launching

2.3 Evo 8
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
This deserves reps you slooooots!

I PMed everybody that asked, but here it is in a nutshell.

I was cutting consistent 1.7 60' times at the track with this technique while using regular street tires. With drag radials or slicks, 1.5-1.6's can be achieved with the same technique. Pressure in the tires can be adjusted accordingly to help with more or less grip depending on track conditions.

This technique will also be much easier on the drivetrain if you do it this way so you don't shock the drivetrain. You can take this technique and change it to best suit your needs.

"Shallow" Staging and launching at the track:

1. Pull up and get the first yellow light to come up. This is just a courtesy light to let you know you are close to the second beam. I believe 9 inches away.

2. While you are stopped for the first yellow, pull up your emergency brake to keep the car from rolling forward.

3. Push in the clutch, put the car in 1st gear, then let out the clutch until it just begins to grab slightly while releasing the e-brake, this will allow the car to "slowly" pull forward to get the second staging yellow to light up.

When I say "slowly", I mean VERY slow. You want to make the 2nd yellow light to barely come on. If you can get the 2nd yellow to actually flicker, you are considered to be "shallow staging".

Shallow staging allows you to get a rolling start before breaking the last beam.

4.Once the 2nd yellow comes on or begins to flicker, pull the e-brake up all the way and SLOWLY let the clutch out until it "barely" begins to grab. When it just starts to grab, don't move the pedal anymore. Leave it at that point where it is barely engaging. It is very important that you don't let it go in or out any further.

5. The tree will then give you 3 yellows before it turns green. Give the car 100% throttle for the 1st countdown yellow.

6. When the 3rd yellow is about to flash, slowly begin to release the clutch while also releasing the e-brake. You are still 100% throttle and rolling forward.

You will only slip the clutch for about a split second and the car should roll forward maybe 1 foot or less before you completely dump the clutch. It is considered a quick slip and dump.

This part is where practice makes perfect. Timing is everything during this step. Once you get the timing down and can repeat it consistantly, you'll see results in your overall times.

That is how I launch.

I know it sounds strange, but by shallow staging and getting a rolling start, you don't "SHOCK" the drivetrain. You will be less likely to break something by getting the car rolling.

If you have a 2-step control on your car, you can make adjustments to what rpm to come off the line. Track conditions will be different from one track to another. I can normally leave my 2-step the same and just adjust the tire pressure, but for some tracks the car just reacts different and an adjustment to the 2-step is needed.

For anybody just free revving the motor to lauch, you might go 100% full throttle on the second countdown yellow instead of the first. You will need to figure out the best time for you to go 100% full throttle. It could be the 1st yellow, 2nd yellow, or between the 1st and 2nd yellow. In some cars you can also use/set the stock rev limiter and use that to your advantage where a 2-step isn't available.

AWD cars:

Everything you heard about destroying a tranny or transfer case in an AWD is from dumping the clutch from a stand still or in an extremely high horsepower AWD. Yes it can be done, but it takes a toll and it can destroy parts at any given time. Revving the car to whatever rpm and dumping it from a stand still just shocks the shit out of the drivetrain and is too risky.

A 2.0 second 60' feels decent, but a 1.5-1.7 feels completely different.

Maybe this video will help with shallow staging part.

http://media.putfile.com/Drag-School

TIGERJC
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
reps for you sir

2.0civic
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
nicely done

Maniaç
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
rep'd

Ericp
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
very nice :goodjob:

FAHHQUE700
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
:boobies:this has been around for a long time..... The easiest way... pre-stage... tranny brake, load tranny, hold limiter, last yeller, hit the red button.:boobies:

Psycho
04-02-2007, 02:21 AM
My tranny would instantly destroy its self, if I did that :cry:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 2.3 Evo 8 again.:(

bafbrian
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Good information, rep'd ya.

lemansz
04-13-2007, 09:28 PM
my evo made 338 awhp and went 12.0 @ 114

at another track i went a 7.60 in the 1/8 @ 92

is that good?

i went a 1.65 60 foot on my advans

2.3 Evo 8
04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, thats very good.

lemansz
04-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, thats very good.

sweet!

imbosile
05-12-2007, 01:08 PM
nice info, reps

boosted_nonv
05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
nice info

Stopsnitchin
06-17-2007, 11:32 AM
thanks. +1

koffebean00
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Bump for some newbs that need to learn how to launch.

redrumracer
08-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Bump for some newbs that need to learn how to launch.
x2

jckdaripr
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
ttttn