PDA

View Full Version : Question about a 300ZX TT swap.

Z32redondo
03-20-2007, 11:36 PM
So I was going over some of the numbers Z1 is pricing their stuff and was just wondering. If I bought a full front clip would it be just straight pull the engine and swap it with the other? I mean I know I would have to swap all of the little stuff like some wiring, ECU, and all of that. But Will there be any welding or anything someone moderately experience couldnt handle. Or is it a basic bolt up to stock mounts and maybe have to grind a little or drill?

Oh BTW I am wondering because Z1 charges $8K for a full swap with labor. They also charge like $3100 for a full front clip with a 5 spd. trans. So as you can see it is a matter of about 5 grand just to install the engine. I would rather spend this on big-ass turbo's and FMIC, than just the swap.

Anyways like I said, I'm just trying to approximate how much my "project" will cost, and its difficulty.

quickdodge®
03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Why don't you put all these questions about your 300 in the Nissan or Technical section? We know you have a 300 and we know you're happy with it. Post this where you'll get more answers. Later, QD.

Z32redondo
03-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Thought I would get more hits here. If you would move it I would appreciate it if you think more people will get to it in that section.

TIGERJC
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
8K for that swap, how about u just buy a 300zx-tt instead

Z32redondo
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
8K for that swap, how about u just buy a 300zx-tt instead

Driven a T-topped twin before and felt too conceiled :???: . I am too used to the convertible and even now hate driving with the top up. They didnt make the conv. in a TT in the US. Also not many people have a TT conv. So it would be kinda unique,and if I could do the swap myself it would only be 3K more.

NewGen33
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, 8 grand for a swap. Ever thought of building up the NA you have right now? Is there any potential in building up a VG30DE?

Z32redondo
03-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Wow, 8 grand for a swap. Ever thought of building up the NA you have right now? Is there any potential in building up a VG30DE?

BY the time I built it up to be as fast as a stock TT motor I could have spent the same amount on the TT motor and some goodies.

mogaffar
03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
it would be better if you posted on www.300zxclub.com or www.twinturbo.net but i know of some peopl eon the forums who ended up running paying about 5000 with the clip and doing the work themselves.. so yeah if you can do it then more power to u

TheSnail
03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I belive I told you a several months back that my friend will install the engine for under 3k and thats including the engine. Option is still available, let me know. He's got one right now, with fresh gaskets and 91k. He can get another one if you dont like that one.

Z32redondo
03-24-2007, 01:28 AM
I belive I told you a several months back that my friend will install the engine for under 3k and thats including the engine. Option is still available, let me know. He's got one right now, with fresh gaskets and 91k. He can get another one if you dont like that one.

I remember you telling me that. I was just asking because I think it would be a good learning experience as to how the VG30DETT engine is pulled and worked on so that if I ever buy cams or anything that would cause me to have to pull the engine. I could save a little bit in the end by not having to pay labor fees for parts that would cause the engine to have to be pulled. I thought it might be a good idea because the engine bay is so tightly packed in that thing that anything other than basic mods would call for having the engine pulled or having to take it apart.

I may get back to you on that I never deleted the PM so I could use it as reference for whenever I did get the cash.

yerrow
03-24-2007, 06:36 AM
its pretty common knowledge that your engine bay is one of the most un-friendly engines bays to work on. its just so cramped you have no room to work.

try it yourself, if you have the confidence. but have a contigency plan cause its not the easiest of swaps especcially for someone who doesn't have much experience

Frög
03-24-2007, 06:54 AM
8 grand? wow.. i would just buy a second car..

Z32redondo
03-24-2007, 01:04 PM
8 grand? wow.. i would just buy a second car..

Ya for them to put that bitch in there and all it is pretty expensive. With a new intake and exhaust I would run low 13's on the engine stock on stock PSI. If I added a little more after that seeing 12's would not be hard. Thats pretty fast for a pretty much stock engine.

mogaffar
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
if u do end up doing the swap like within the first month get to be a stage III .. intake, exhaust, ecu.. i love stage 3 power :) puts a smile on my face when i give people rides in my TTZ and see them shit their pants when i hit like 15psi of boost

speedminded
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
8K for that swap, how about u just buy a 300zx-tt insteadThere is 3 steps to the easiest way to do the TT conversion...

1) Remove N/A radiator cap.
2) Drive under Twin Turbo Z.
3) Install N/A radiator cap.

Done.

There is a reason Z1 charges that much for the conversion. It's right along the same level as why a Nissan Dealship charges almost as much for a timing belt install as they do for labor on an engine swap. Everything that has to do with that engine is more involved than you'll ever imagine.

I know Tiger racing has done the TT swap in a 2+2. Oh, don't even think about trying to convert the VG30DET to a VG30DETT :no:

thursdaybuff
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
there's different things you have to consider with both choices though.

if you give it to z1 think of how long do you think the actual swap will take them, or how long it will take before they actually get to your car because i've heard they have quite the line-up, especially after z-nationals last weekend. and also is 8k the base cost of the swap or will they add more should they need more parts along the way (ie new motor mounts, etc..)

or if you do it yourself would you even have the slightest idea of what you're getting into? like everyone said, the vg motor has not always been the most friendly especially when you're taking the whole thing out. if you did it yourself no doubt you'd need to know what you're doing but also you'd need to know exactly how much to modify from the vg30de to the vg30dett, because the differences are a big deal.

if you know what you're doing, no doubt you should do it yourself, you'd save a shit load but if you don't, you either need to have a shit load of patience or send it to z1 because they may charge a lot, but they know what they're doing and can do it right.

Z32redondo
03-27-2007, 09:14 PM
there's different things you have to consider with both choices though.

if you give it to z1 think of how long do you think the actual swap will take them, or how long it will take before they actually get to your car (http:///#) because i've heard they have quite the line-up, especially after z-nationals last weekend. and also is 8k the base cost of the swap or will they add more should they need more parts along the way (ie new motor mounts, etc..)

or if you do it yourself would you even have the slightest idea of what you're getting into? like everyone said, the vg motor has not always been the most friendly especially when you're taking the whole thing out. if you did it yourself no doubt you'd need to know what you're doing but also you'd need to know exactly how much to modify from the vg30de to the vg30dett, because the differences are a big deal.

if you know what you're doing, no doubt you should do it yourself, you'd save a shit load but if you don't, you either need to have a shit load of patience or send it to z1 because they may charge a lot, but they know what they're doing and can do it right.

Thats why I was asking is it just a clean swap minus ECU, stearing column, radiator, and other needed things. Or is it like hacking at core supports and the frame and stuff like that. If its a relatively clean swap just difficult because of how tightely packed everything is then I think I can do it myself. If there is alot of different difficult steps to swapping this engine then I will just pay to have it done.

And I know the VG30DE/TT is a large engine and fits very tightely in the bay. I have one and since this engine is such a pain in the ass to pull and swap it also makes the cost for installation of certain parts that need the engine to be torn down/ pulled very high. Thats why im trying to learn as much as I can about how to do that so 1) I can swap out this beast and 2) After I swap it if I decide to add new cams, or a rebuilt engine or anything somewhat demanding in the knowledge area of the engine...I can.

Now alot of you have told me "its a beast to pull out", or "just buy a new Z'. I know all of that and am looking for what the difficulties of the swap will be. If its just dissasemble everything, pull the engine, then maybe drill a little and hack a little (emphasis or a little), then dop in new motor and re-assemble. Then I can handle that and it will be somewhat easy as long as I have a good set of instructions and some pics, but hey thats why we have the net, right? But if it is much more difficult than that then I need to know. Thats the info I am wanting.

I have heard all the stories of how people will never want to do the swap again, and im okay with that. As long as I can find out if I have the ability to do the swap on my own then I will consider either doing it or letting someone do it for me.

Not trying to be one of those people that are all "Well I can do anything cause Im the man so dont worry." Im just like the rest of you, interested in making my car ALOT faster. Im just trying to learn how my car is setup along the way. Also gaining a bit of experience.

I appreciate any info that is given to me whatever it is im sure it can help in some way or form. Thanks.