PDA

View Full Version : Compassion Fatigue for Natalee Holloway

C22H19N3O4
06-25-2005, 02:26 AM
I\'ll be honest. I\'m tired of hearing about Natalee Holloway every single day. My heart goes out to the Holloway family, but isn\'t time to focus on other media worthy events? No one covers the 40,000-100,000 children that die everyday. For some reason the Tsunami efforts have been swept under the rug. It\'s sad time in this country when Michael Jackson gets more media coverage than the topic of health coverage for our poor. Futhermore, be honest with yourself. Do you really think if Natalee Holloway were a black/hispanic/asian teenager, the media would display such a sympathetic side? I don\'t think CNN,Fox, or MSNBC would have batted a camera lens. Don\'t even get me started on the Jennifer Wilbanks saga. People have become anesthetized to this so called \"MISSING PRETTY GIRL SYNDROME.\" I may sound heartless to some, and maybe I have become slightly jaded to this media blitz. Are we wrong because we\'ve run out of sympathy for those who need it the most? Does the media dictate who/what we should funnel our compassion to? Who sympathizes with the millions of people out of work and those children who won\'t get a warm meal tonight? Most importantly, who will sympathize for you if your mother/father/sister/brother dies from cancer/diabetes/heart disease or suicide? It won\'t be the media b/c your loved ones won\'t fit the All American mold the media and America so unreasonably desire. Take what you want, leave what you can.

ahmonrah
06-25-2005, 07:59 AM
well said

Kevykev
06-25-2005, 08:20 AM
That is true but some things have to be accepted for what it is it's only the media, as long as you have your own personal views; you're good, that's all that is important.