PDA

View Full Version : Misc Wireless Help

T-Mo Goodie
06-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Ok I am getting ready to do all of the comps in my house wireless. I know that I will need wireless cards for all comps and a card for my notebook and also the wireless router thingy. haha So basically, my house was/is already networked but I am just upgrading to wireless.

My questions are mainly with my laptop. I don't really understand the wireless for it outside of the house. How does the wireless crap work when you are in 'hot spots', etc or whatever they are called?.? Let's say for instance I have my laptop at work with me and the shop next door down has a wireless network, will I be able to browse the net from their system???

2nd question, my BF house (second home) has like the ethernet wall lines (phone jack looking things) in just about every room. How does that work? Is it only for networking though the house?? Can he use cable or do he need DSL phone line?? Reason being is he has 2 cell phones (Nextel and Metro) and doesn't really want to get a home phone.

Don't laugh at me. I know I sound dumb, but I have just been out of the technology world for a split second (a year or so) and SOOOOOOOOOOOO much has come about within this time. (i.e. bluetooth, wireless, ipods, PDA's, etc)

lowjack
06-25-2005, 04:11 PM
My questions are mainly with my laptop. I don't really understand the wireless for it outside of the house. How does the wireless crap work when you are in 'hot spots', etc or whatever they are called?.? Let's say for instance I have my laptop at work with me and the shop next door down has a wireless network, will I be able to browse the net from their system???

2nd question, my BF house (second home) has like the ethernet wall lines (phone jack looking things) in just about every room. How does that work? Is it only for networking though the house?? Can he use cable or do he need DSL phone line?? Reason being is he has 2 cell phones (Nextel and Metro) and doesn't really want to get a home phone.

You will have to setup some sort of security or WEP. Most Wireless routers allow you to turn on access control. Thereby only allowing certain MAC IDs to gain access to your router.

As far as the shop next door. IF they are not running access control you could very easily use their network. A friend of mine living in a populated subdivision has a powered Anntenna (1 mile range) to suck in open wireless connections then binds them together to get a hell of a download stream. In effect he is borrowing access from unprotected systems.

Sounds as if the house is wired for RJ-45 (CAT 5). Thus meaning the lines all have to go to a central point, like a hub or a switch. That would then go into a router, wireless or not to get access to the outside. This means he would have to get some sort of local service to support a DSL or he can see about getting a cable modem or directwave (Dish).

If he does not want DSL then the last to options are the only way he can go.

Hope this helps,

Scott
350z

T-Mo Goodie
06-25-2005, 04:48 PM
cool I think that I understand.