PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Floating pins?

TheChosenOne
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Iv'e been debating on what build to go with on my new project, and I now have ANOTHER OPTION! lol. sorry guys, I only bother you cause I care!:goodjob:

Anyway, Iv'e been thinking of just building an all motor ls, and I want to put in some type r pistons. There is an option of getting the pistons with floating pins, and I was wondering what that ies, and how it would make a difference???

On a side note, floating pins or not, If i step up the compression in a ls to 11.5:1, how much of a diffenece would that make in hp with a good cam over stock?

Init2winit
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
If you have the option of a full floating pin, do it. But make sure that your rods are bushed, and that the pistons are made for floating pins.

TheChosenOne
03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
ya, the pistons have an option of comming with the floating pins. What is bushing the rob going to do. The guy thats doing the work on the rods can do it. if I ask him, prolly.

Whats the advantage of floating pins vs. non-floating pins?

2.0civic
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
http://tpub.com/content/engine/14037/css/14037_104.htm

2.0civic
03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
im guessing better acceleration .... i think dont kno for sure

this is why you dont need to work on vehicles....guess=mistakes

TheChosenOne
03-20-2007, 05:40 PM
SteveoQuote:
Originally Posted by m0b3atz
im guessing better acceleration .... i think dont kno for sure

this is why you dont need to work on vehicles....guess=mistakes
who said that...:???:

anyway, thanks forf the link!:goodjob:

Init2winit
03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
You need a bushing in the rod for the floating pin. Just like your rods need bearings on the crank journals. The bushings do the same thing that the bearings do. A full floating pin creates less friction in the engine. Just make sure that you take the pistons and pins to the person that is bushing the rods, so that the rod will be sized to the wrist pin.

Init2winit
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
And btw, if you decide to go with the press fit pins, don't put the locks in the pistons.