PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable....

Jaimecbr900
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Did anyone else read this shit about the Supreme court ruling yesterday? It seems that in their infinite wisdom they have decided that the gov't can now LEGALLY use Eminent Domain to take your property even if it's NOT for direct public use. In other words, they can take it and give it to a builder to build a strip mall because by doing so they will receive MORE tax dollars later.

Can yall believe that?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/scotus.property.ap/index.html

The only ray of hope is the fact that the vote was actually 5-4, so there looks to be some glimmer of hope that somebody somewhere was smoking crack when they pulled the handle to vote.... :rolleyes:

The Yousef
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Did anyone else read this shit about the Supreme court ruling yesterday? It seems that in their infinite wisdom they have decided that the gov't can now LEGALLY use Eminent Domain to take your property even if it's NOT for direct public use. In other words, they can take it and give it to a builder to build a strip mall because by doing so they will receive MORE tax dollars later.

Can yall believe that?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/scotus.property.ap/index.html

The only ray of hope is the fact that the vote was actually 5-4, so there looks to be some glimmer of hope that somebody somewhere was smoking crack when they pulled the handle to vote.... :rolleyes:

yeah i read about that.....anyone who says the govt is not influenced by big business needs to be shot.....

A.P. Photography
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes it is sad, Gov't is going back to acting like it did when the US was born. Just take whatever they want and give it to who ever they want.

bigb996
06-24-2005, 01:11 PM
im moving to Canada! whos with me?!

carrascopa
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
YA... I HEARD ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY,

ITS SAD YOU KNOW.. AMERICA IS A FREE COUNTRY! HAHAHA.. WHAT A AJOKE

LaurenK
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
The f ing government is taking all our rights away.

Hulud
06-24-2005, 01:19 PM
yea this sucks but the feds have always been able to do this.
what they just voted on was local government

Big Baller
06-24-2005, 02:09 PM

Go ahead and take off, hell Ill chip in for air fare, regardless of what stupid decisions the supreme court makes this is still the greatest country on earth.

If you dont like it GET THE FUCK OUT

Vote people that is the only way things change. Or you always have the option of rebeling

Matt

Hulud
06-24-2005, 02:11 PM
^true

bigb996
06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
no need to get all defensive my son.....i never said i didnt like the usa. I dont like how some things are run here but we all deal with it.

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
lemme get on that bus !!!!

fuck that better yet, i'm moving to BRAZIL!!!! who's with me???

Spyder
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Go ahead and take off, hell Ill chip in for air fare, regardless of what stupid decisions the supreme court makes this is still the greatest country on earth.

Vote people that is the only way things change. Or you always have the option of rebeling

Matt

im just guessing when i say assasinations may make a difference.

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Matt as "great" as this country is, it seems that it's now completely corporate :smileowne, from the white house to city counsel. things are fucked up when penitentaries become private owned, elections are bought and sold, and private information becomes public assets to be bought and sold between companies like corporate fleet cars. dude never said he didnt like this country, but damn, wouldnt that suck if you bought a home with land for $600,000 and suddenly the county shows up, slaps an eviction notice on YOUR shit and tell you to get the fuck out??

civic95
06-24-2005, 02:17 PM
well they can't just TAKE it, they have to make you a reasonable offer. Even today when they buy land for public good (to make roads w/e) they always give more than you could sell it for yourself. I have yet to meet someone who said they were screwed, usually they come out really happy.

Hulud
06-24-2005, 02:18 PM
lemme get on that bus !!!!

fuck that better yet, i'm moving to BRAZIL!!!! who's with me???
and find that girl with the perfect ass?

Hulud
06-24-2005, 02:19 PM
well they can't just TAKE it, they have to make you a reasonable offer. Even today when they buy land for public good (to make roads w/e) they always give more than you could sell it for yourself. I have yet to meet someone who said they were screwed, usually they come out really happy.
no.
you are wrong sir. the gov't does not give a reasonable offer, if you were to sell your property to someone you would make more than what the gov't would give you. they give you the minimum. and plus its really your money that they are giving back to you.

chrisdavis
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
What they have done is turn it into a state issue instead of a federal issue. I think its horrible and should have never passed but there is something we can do about it. Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and two other states have anti-eminent domain laws in effect. So its time to start writing to your congressman and senators and get Ga to pass an anti-eminent domain law as well.

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:23 PM
and find that girl with the perfect ass?EXACTLY!!!!

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:24 PM
What they have done is turn it into a state issue instead of a federal issue. I think its horrible and should have never passed but there is something we can do about it. Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and two other states have anti-eminent domain laws in effect. So its time to start writing to your congressman and senators and get Ga to pass an anti-eminent domain law as well.
thanks for the solution, we need more people like you here......all the ranting and raving w/o a solution makes it a moot argument. guess i'll start writing.

Hulud
06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
EXACTLY!!!!
then yes im with you!!! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

chrisdavis
06-24-2005, 02:26 PM

They offer what they feel is fair market velue which is not always profitable to the person whose home they are taking. If the homeowner holds out long enough the govt claims blight and condems the property. This is happening in Conneticut as we speak. New London Ct was the plaintiff in the Supreme Court ruling.

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:31 PM
http://www.girlsfromipanema.com/images/curen02.jpgyeah !!

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 02:32 PM
http://www.girlsfromipanema.com/images/curen10s.jpgahhhhhh, brazil......

Hulud
06-24-2005, 02:34 PM
yup

chrisdavis
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
thanks for the solution, we need more people like you here......all the ranting and raving w/o a solution makes it a moot argument. guess i'll start writing.

Thanks for the compliment. This is something that my wife and I are passionate about.

BTW heres how to find your representative

http://www.house.gov/

Im in the 13th district and David Scott is my representative.

David Scott is the U.S. Representative for the 13th District of Georgia, representing part of the City of Atlanta and portions of 11 counties: Clayton, Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Rockdale, Henry, Newton, Walton, Fayette, Butts and Spalding.

http://davidscott.house.gov/Contact/

ahmonrah
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the compliment. This is something that my wife and I are passionate about.

BTW heres how to find your representative

http://www.house.gov/

Im in the 13th district and David Scott is my representative.

David Scott is the U.S. Representative for the 13th District of Georgia, representing part of the City of Atlanta and portions of 11 counties: Clayton, Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Rockdale, Henry, Newton, Walton, Fayette, Butts and Spalding.

http://davidscott.house.gov/Contact/
cool. thanks for the info. me and my dad helped work on david scotts campaign.....imma hit his ass up.

The Yousef
06-24-2005, 06:18 PM

Done! mine is Tom Price....

hopefully wal-mart or target won't decide that my house will be nice location for a new store.....

Kevykev
06-24-2005, 07:33 PM
at first i was going to respond with an anti-gov post but then i saw te girls....ahhh yessss!

HiPSI
06-24-2005, 09:55 PM
and find that girl with the perfect ass?

or a transvestite, lol. i hear that's very popular in brazil, you can have that shit, i'm sticking with asian women :).

YokotaS13
06-24-2005, 10:05 PM
no.
you are wrong sir. the gov't does not give a reasonable offer, if you were to sell your property to someone you would make more than what the gov't would give you. they give you the minimum. and plus its really your money that they are giving back to you.
actualyl they give you fair market value, to be exact wording

Jaimecbr900
06-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Yes, but they use THEIR appraisals and staff appraisers to come up with that "fair" market value. Much as they do to tax property now. You can appeal it, but as Chris correctly stated IF you try and hold out too long, they merely condemn the property and TAKE IT. It used to be that they could only do that IF it was direct public use only. With this ruling, it opens it up for far more corruption to take place than already exists. A builder with some clout will grease a few palms and will acquire a property at a lower price than he would have gotten it if he'd dealt one on one with the owner and in turn the county receives exorbitant property taxes they can use as revenue. Everybody wins, except the property owner.

It was a crappy ruling IMO. Very short sighted. It will open a box that later on won't be able to close.

I have a buddy who is a state representative. I'm no longer in his district, but he does represent the Lawrenceville area. He and I went to school together at Central. His name is Mike Coan. If someone needs his info, I got it.

Hulud
06-24-2005, 11:30 PM
THEY may say it fair but ask anyone who this has happened to and see what they say

NevrNufTorq
06-25-2005, 12:39 AM
^^^ first off, i dont agree with the new law and have already drafted letters. lmo

two, it happened to my uncle, they took 20 acres for a new school. he wasnt happy about it, but he was very happy about the pricing. b/c it was for a school they did the pricing as a commercial property, so he got alot more money for it. they used one state appraiser and two from the local area. and they do have to give you fair market value, b/c they have to provide comps( comparisons of like properties for what they sold for). my father in law is a real estate broker if you're wondering how i know.

as always, just my two cents guys, cool post with some well backed up opinions on both sides but i'm still against. latr

chrisdavis
06-25-2005, 08:12 AM
I was reading the AJC last night and it turns out that there is a bill (senate bill 86 I believe) that restricts the use of eminent domain in the state of GA to public use only. This bill has already passed the senate and is in the house waiting on approval. This bill was introduced long before the supreme court ruling so hopefully it will get some much needed attention and be passed into law. There was a bill (senate bill number 5) which was introduced prior to senat bill 86 which eased the restrictions for eminent domain in the state of GA and it was overwhelmingly defeated by the senate and never made it to the house.

Kristi
06-25-2005, 11:46 AM
that is bullshit - but the gov't was to be all powerful - so this puts them one step closer