PDA

View Full Version : General Chat what should i do? plz help

mehulwrx
03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
i have come to a crossroad in my life, my parents really want me to become a doctor ar a dentist or something like that however all my life i have wanted to do something with cars, i have to choose colleges next year what should i do
plz haelp me i'm desprete for good advice

babygurl
03-12-2005, 11:17 AM
dont you think this should be in the civil talk forum...?????

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2005, 11:22 AM
^^^ Or to your parents? There is no way that people on here could, or even should, give you potential life-altering advice. This is something that you need to discuss with yourself or family. We don't know you, you don't know us. We can't give you any word on anything that we don't fully know. I just don't think that IA, or any Internet forum, is the place for this. Later, QD.

Red
03-12-2005, 12:40 PM
It is something you should discuss with them. Tell them what you want to do. Whatever you do you should want to do it. It's your life so do what makes you happy. See what they have to say.

David88vert
03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Do something that makes good money. Then you can afford to fix up your car, instead of working on everyone else's cars. Trust me, I should have done that. Instead, I always had to spend my time fixing up other's cars.

mehulwrx
03-12-2005, 01:51 PM
thanks, but i already confronted them and the still say med schools

ps. i like your advice ^^^^^^

dappsta
03-12-2005, 08:37 PM

ps. i like your advice ^^^^^^
how about this... go to med school get rich as shit then mod cars with all your $$$$$ :) just my 2Cents

mehulwrx
03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
how about this... go to med school get rich as shit then mod cars with all your $$$$$ :) just my 2Cents
i was thinking of something like that, but now i have to choose what type of doctor, maybe a phsychiatrist, sit on a couch all day and talk :blah: for $290000

ruah_23
03-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Do what u like best but since u are young think abt it first before u make the decision.Are u really going to do it for the next 20-30 yrs of ur life??

SwiftGTiRacer
03-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Thats my problem in a sence also. I'm about to get out of the military and become a full time student. I'm just not sure what to major. I wanted to major in sociology but there aren't to many jobs available for that degree. So i thought about teaching but it doesn't pay to well. So now i'm kinda stuck also. Good luck with your decision.

Swifty

LeX
03-13-2005, 07:50 AM
do what you want to do... the military is always a good career as it teaches you about life and pays for your college. Med school does work welll, but do what YOU Like but make sure you can provide for yourself/ a family if you want one

pimp1911
03-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Do what makes you happy. In the end its your life and you have to live with the decisions you make.

Shawna
03-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Go to college b/c if you don't you'll regret it BUT you have to go through that b4 you get into med school so pick a school you like and take your time maybe you'll find something you'll like there instead...make yourself happy first and worry about everyone else later. I did that and I wasted 3yrs and KSU b/c thats what my parents wanted me to do and I finally told them I wasn't going to do it anymore and was going to transfer and do what I wanted and they didn't have a problem with it... give it time they'll come around eventually when they realize that they cant always make you do what they want.

BTEC
03-14-2005, 07:02 AM
My advise was also already given on here. Go to med school to be a doc, make all the money, and do cars as a hobby. Only become a doc if thats what u want to do though. Go talk to some ppl in the field that your parents want you to be in and the field you want to be in to try and get a closer look at what its really like, that might help. But whatever you choose i hope your parents support you with your decission. Good luck

4dmin
03-14-2005, 09:51 AM
You are in HS right now? If so then i would go to college get a degree in some science and figure it out then... one if you want to do cars you can get an engineering degree, two if you decide to become a dr your on the right path anyway, third don't know if you have checked into med school, but that is alot of school... yes the money is good, but $$$ ain't shit if your not happy. you have tons of time to figure it out, get some college under your belt 1st. :cool:

RotiEatter
03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
You should become an oil and lube technican... for life

Jaimecbr900
03-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Confronted? If you have to confront someone, it means that it was not something pleasant. I hope that's not the case.

I love giving out advice, but I'm with the rest of everyone else here on this. You should really sit down and discuss this with your family and not a forum.

uberdude328i
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
While everyone has a damn good point about this place not being the best place for advice, if someone comes here and asks for opinions, its totally cool to chime in. Just don't take anything said here with too much weight. Obviously mehulwrx thinks the people on this fine forum can offer something he hasn't thought of and to that I say we're here for you. Whatever you do in this short drive called life should be for no one but yourself. Its your life, YOU decide how to live it. Like I said, don't take this advice with too much weight, none of us know the whole story. Just hang in there and things will happen as they should.

dereksi
03-21-2005, 10:24 PM
its gotta be nice to have those oppertunites dont waste it

FrnkPwrs
03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
True, you should talk to your parents, definately. But just take what everyone is saying as opinions and inquire more about where those opinions are coming from.

Man, do something that makes you happy. I had someone tell me, being millionaire rich and thoudandaire rich is the same thing. Think about if you can see yourself doing whatever field years from now. I used to love doing computer work. When I finally started being a job, it sucked for me. I almost ruined a hobby because I wanted to be a job, and for me personally it wasnt going to work out. But I do realize that im still young, and it may as well work out for me later in life.

I let my parents dictate to me what college to go to, and I regret it. Ultimately, you are the personwho does the schooling, not them. You are the person who is goign to have to work in that field. Now dont get it twisted, college is important. But it cost money as well. Make sure you time and money investment is worthwhile.Time to start thinking longterm. If you want to work on cars, and that is something yo ufeel strongly about, then I would at the very least take classes relating to you running your own shop. The laborerer hardly ever makes more than management!

Julio
03-22-2005, 05:23 PM
somebody said on this thread "go to College because if not he will regret it.."

I dropped out of college, and dont regret one bit of it...

Do what you want daniel son.

green91
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
coming from someone who has been through and is still in school for the auto service field... be a doctor. it takes a long time to move your way up and become respected in the auto service field... alot of people with large egos. find something you can do that you like... if you work in the auto field you wont enjoy it near as much as if you do it recreationally

Bishop
03-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Im graduating this year and still have yet to pick a school. I know for a fact i am going to school for auto collision repair/refinishing. Just not sure which one. My parents never really told me what they weanted me to be. I am just doing what i love to do.

SLOWR/T
03-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Quote "coming from someone who has been through and is still in school for the auto service field... be a doctor. it takes a long time to move your way up and become respected in the auto service field... alot of people with large egos. find something you can do that you like... if you work in the auto field you wont enjoy it near as much as if you do it recreationally"

what school are you going to for "auto service"? i believe to become a doctor it would take a lot longer than to become mechanic.

green91
03-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Quote "coming from someone who has been through and is still in school for the auto service field... be a doctor. it takes a long time to move your way up and become respected in the auto service field... alot of people with large egos. find something you can do that you like... if you work in the auto field you wont enjoy it near as much as if you do it recreationally"

what school are you going to for "auto service"? i believe to become a doctor it would take a lot longer than to become mechanic.

gwinnett tech. im t-ten certified and work at a local toyota dealership. yes, it takes much longer to be a doctor but it also has alot more benefits and has a more repected title

seksicarlovinchick
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Well, I always say go with the decision that you can live with in 20 years. Are you going to regret becoming a doctor in 20 years, are you going to wish you had followed your passion, probably. If I were you, I would follow my heart, your parents love you asnd just want the best for you...you have to make the choices in your life, because when they are gone, your life will be what you have mead it...weather they liek it or not

seksicarlovinchick
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Also, a quick note...do both, be a doctor and work on cars, you would have sufficient funds form youir med practice to start your own auto shop or something later on

uncle_el
03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
i have come to a crossroad in my life, my parents really want me to become a doctor ar a dentist or something like that however all my life i have wanted to do something with cars, i have to choose colleges next year what should i do
plz haelp me i'm desprete for good advice

1st piece of advice, continue going to high school.
2nd piece of advice, make sure you pay attention in english class.
3rd piece of advice, talk to your parents about what you want to do.
4th piece of advice, realize that medical school is 4 years long... and you do it after 4 years of college.
5th piece of advice, realize that everyone who wants to medical school doesn't go to medical school.
6th piece of advice, you don't make money in medicine until 3-10 years after graduating medical school.
7th piece of advice, going into medicine to make money is a silly proposition. there are many other ways to get to the same amount of money with far less time and work invested.

just the opinion of one medical student... who finishes school in 2 days. :D

accordsti
03-23-2005, 08:08 PM
thank u for the advice, and if i do premed in college it would not be for money, i have volunteered at health fairs before and its cool, but getting paid to work on cars thats persausive
but i probably will be doing a dentistry apprenticeship with my cuz and a psychiarist one with my aunt in st.louis this summer

uncle_el
03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
thank u for the advice, and if i do premed in college it would not be for money, i have volunteered at health fairs before and its cool, but getting paid to work on cars thats persausive
but i probably will be doing a dentistry apprenticeship with my cuz and a psychiarist one with my aunt in st.louis this summer

dentistry is tough too, as my best friend and his wife are dentists, another good friend is a dentist training to do oral surgery, and a girl i date is also a dentist.

in my mind, you have to love helping people, and not be hurt by patients and other people who aren't appreciative. if not, you can become jaded quickly (which can happen anyway), and burnout before age 40.

i tell people to consider any career before a career in healthcare, because to be in this line of work, you have to know that you know that you want it. if helping people doesn't drive you (from your post it seems like it kinda does), there's no point. if, as mehulwrx posted, someone else wants you to do this, it ain't gonna be fun, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

accordsti
03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
i am mehulwrx, but yeah i enjoy helping people and i know a lot of doctors who can take me on, what else do you expect from a patel last name relative, and my parents do urge me alot to do medicine but i also love cars
is that a CB_7 in your signiture, i got one too, if it is i need a muffler that will fit my 1992 Accord

Hornswoggler
03-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Keep this in mind:

Quality of life is not the same thing as standard of living. What I mean there is that just because a job makes good money, doesn't always mean you will be happy. Doing a job that you enjoy brings quality of life, money improves standard of living. If you can have both, great, but I would much prefer quality of life (i.e. a job you enjoy).

Hobbies and interests are usually a great place to start. There is money in the automotive industry... but its a rare few who get rich from it.

If you really want to do car stuff, consider a path in mechanical engineering or automotive design. There are specialty schools out there for that sort of stuff. If you have the brains and talent to really do great things in the automotive field, get out there and be the best you can be.

If you are anti-school and just want to work on things, I guess a mechanic job would be ok but hardly aspirational. Maybe working for a race or specialty shop would be really cool tho. I don't know what the market is like. NASCAR mechanics all have engineering degrees...

Still having trouble deciding what you want to do? Find a career counselor. Take one of those aptitude tests that determine your strengths and suggest possible career opportunities. Read some career decision books (i.e. what color is my parachute)

What other hobbies or interests do you have?

green91
03-24-2005, 05:34 PM
i think you should get banned from IA