PDA

View Full Version : rx-8 performance questions

pjb2006
03-10-2007, 06:03 AM
I was thinking about getting an RX-8, and I was wondering how much power potential they have. I know they're about 240 at the crank from the factory, but how much can its power be raised while sticking to natural aspiration and bolt-ons. Also, how do you tune an n/a car anyway? For instance, if I took my rx-8 and got a full catless exhaust, would I take it to a shop and get its air-fuel ratio tuned with a piggyback like you would a turbo, or do you go about it differently? Sorry for being so clueless, I dont have much knowledge on rotarys or building fast n/a cars.

Five*Star*
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I know a little about RX-8's and your best bet is to go with the greddy turbo kit moneywise, unless you are just stuck on keeping it N/A. N/A wise you will not get much power at all with bolt-ons(it's like modding a D15 civic engine). Plus bolt-ons are fairly expensive for that car unless you use american parts manufactures. Don't waste money on a header, they are over $1000 and give you little gain. Focus on intake, exhaust, pulleys, flywheel, ignition, ground cables, and a good tune. Also, run drivetrain oils like Royal Purple, and get the lightest wheels you can. Weight reduction in these cars would be bang for the buck, pennywise.

I could go on, but i have to run.......

OneSlow5pt0
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
240hp?

i thought it was 190-200hp

Doppelgänger
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
RX-8 is a great handing car, i was really surprised when i drive one. Getting n/a power gets expensive... you can get some here and there with bolt-ons and tuning. But where the real power comes in is with porting. But by the time you spend the time and money on that, you'd be better off with a turbo. Google search "American Togue" and there was a turbo RX-8 that was in it and they praised the car for both power and handling.

Brady
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
they are fun to drive but, slow...and expensive to make it run 14's and even more expensive to make 13's(like 10k more expensive). Best bet would be blow motor and insert ls1/2

iloveboost
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
they are fun to drive but, slow...and expensive to make it run 14's and even more expensive to make 13's(like 10k more expensive). Best bet would be blow motor and insert ls1/2
LOL!

How's it going, Brady?

David88vert
03-13-2007, 09:33 PM
It's actually not hard to get power out of a N/A rotary - most people just overthink it. Add an exhaust and a simple intake - rotarys need to breathe - but don't get carried away and spend too much. Racing Beat is my choice for exhaust. Secondly, strap on a small N2O shot on there. 50 shot is good to start - and run a wet kit with bottle heater, etc. I would suggest using a NX GenX2 kit with a good wet kit from NX, Holley, etc. N2O is the cheapest way to make good reliable power. As long as you don't get too crazy with the shot size, or timing, you can easily make enough power. Rotarys react very well to nitrous. PM me and I can give you more info.