PDA

View Full Version : Commerce Racing (helmets)

Rican219
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm going to run Friday night at commerce.... My questions is I don't own a Helmet and with the mods I have on my car others (mazdaspeed6's) have been running mid to low 13's.

Now I'm no car launching genius so I may not get close to mid 13 but do I need to stress out about not having a Helmet? Do I need to buy one before tomorrow? :???:

Never ran a car before that I had to worry about it :lmfao:

B18c1Turboed
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
NOpe. Unless your running 11.99 or faster you dont need one!!!

Or if u have a rollcage in your car then you need one also!!

Rican219
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
NOpe. Unless your running 11.99 or faster you dont need one!!!

Or if u have a rollcage in your car then you need one also!!

SO I'm good without one AWESOME :goodjob:

Red
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
You should be okay the first run. But they could say something technically b/c you need a helmet if you run 13.99 and quicker (NHRA rule book). To be honest, I would chance it. They're sticklers on the whole roll cage deal but if you're running high 13's they might not say anything.

FAHHQUE700
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
A friend of mine is a tech at Commerce. NEW HELMET RULE! And he says they're cracking down more on the rules. 13.99 as before BUT the helmets have to be Snell 2000 Approved. No Sn-95 or Basic Snell Approval will be allowed anymore. I had a freind tag along with me one night (Fast Friday) and he ran a 13.87 @ 107. He was told get a helmet, or slow down. If you don't you will be kicked out. If you can't afford one or don't race all that much, you can borrow one, or rent one. Wearing a helmet is not a bad idea, even if your car is slow...

HiPSI
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
A friend of mine is a tech at Commerce. NEW HELMET RULE! And he says they're cracking down more on the rules. 13.99 as before BUT the helmets have to be Snell 2000 Approved. No Sn-95 or Basic Snell Approval will be allowed anymore. I had a freind tag along with me one night (Fast Friday) and he ran a 13.87 @ 107. He was told get a helmet, or slow down. If you don't you will be kicked out. If you can't afford one or don't race all that much, you can borrow one, or rent one. Wearing a helmet is not a bad idea, even if your car is slow...

does it have to be SA rated or is M ok? i assume M is ok as long as it's 2000+.

MS6
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm going to run Friday night at commerce.... My questions is I don't own a Helmet and with the mods I have on my car others (mazdaspeed6's) have been running mid to low 13's.

Now I'm no car launching genius so I may not get close to mid 13 but do I need to stress out about not having a Helmet? Do I need to buy one before tomorrow? :???:

Never ran a car before that I had to worry about it :lmfao:

Well looks like I will leave you at the light.:D Just launch around 4500. That should get that Speed6 to squat just right. ;)

Rican219
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Well looks like I will leave you at the light.:D Just launch around 4500. That should get that Speed6 to squat just right. ;)

LOL See you at the end bro!!

FAHHQUE700
03-10-2007, 12:09 AM
does it have to be SA rated or is M ok? i assume M is ok as long as it's 2000+.

Correct. I have a new Shoei which is Snell M2005 Approved. The only difference that I know of between the M & SA is that with the SA it is cool to wear glasses inside the helmet. And that the SA has been tested in roll bage applications. I do not know if the track rules say anything about using a M cert. helmet in a vehicle that has a cage. I will try to find out more information soon though...

FAHHQUE700
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Okay, I just spoke with my buddy (the tech). He says that it doesn't have to be SA unless you're runing 7.49 or faster (in the 1/4-Mile) So, as long as it's Snell 2000+ even if it is (M - Motorcyle) then it will fly.

speedminded
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Okay, I just spoke with my buddy (the tech). He says that it doesn't have to be SA unless you're runing 7.49 or faster (in the 1/4-Mile) So, as long as it's Snell 2000+ even if it is (M - Motorcyle) then it will fly.7.49 or faster? sheesh, i guess that leaves me out then...dammit, gotta take the slow car! lol :tongue:

HiPSI
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay, I just spoke with my buddy (the tech). He says that it doesn't have to be SA unless you're runing 7.49 or faster (in the 1/4-Mile) So, as long as it's Snell 2000+ even if it is (M - Motorcyle) then it will fly.

cool. i figured a helmet that's designed to whack the pavement at hight speeds can also stand up to a cage. a few companies i've spoken to said the only difference in their M and SA rated helmets were nomex/proban liners rather than cotton/polyester fibers.

FAHHQUE700
03-27-2007, 10:27 PM
cool. i figured a helmet that's designed to whack the pavement at hight speeds can also stand up to a cage. a few companies i've spoken to said the only difference in their M and SA rated helmets were nomex/proban liners rather than cotton/polyester fibers.

You are by no means wrong. A helmet should hold up either-or, in my opinion. The new M2005+ helmets have nomex inner liners; well at least my Shoei does... I'm sure there are more "technical" explanations behind the usage of M and SA helmets for NHRA/IHRA rules, but I couldn't tell you because I have no idea. Only one thought came to mind... a motorcycle helmet is made to crack upon a heavy impact. Maybe the SA helmets are more buoyant, to take repetitive impacts? Just a thought?

:cheers:

Elbow
03-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Do you have to wear a helmet with a roll bar?

97_luder
03-28-2007, 10:52 PM
where can you buy one of those helmets