PDA

View Full Version : Misc Question (Christian Related)

Hulud
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
well mainly baptists i think

i was at work today and my co-workers were talking about speaking in tounges andh how its soemthing to do a gift from god or something :???:

they said it was a strong belief in the baptist chruch

can anyone shed some light on the subject, cause i have never heard of that before

Congogrey
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I am not a baptist but if I remember correctly it has to do with the interpretation of a story in the bible.

Doing a Google search confirmed that it has to do with a story in the book of Acts where Jesus' apostles were so filled with the Holy Spirit that they began to speak in a language that was foreign to them.

santacruz77
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
ughhh were they doing it? i would have laughed... not for a religous reason just cause... so do they talk in tounges at church?

BKgen®
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
i'm a Christian but i'm not Baptist. (non-denominational church)

BUT... the reason i've always heard for speaking in tongues is that, supposedly, it's a language that satan can't understand.

so you can talk about him behind his back? :thinking:

d1esel12
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
funny, i learned this in Sunday school ( Catholic ) this past sunday. speaking in tongue is because its more effective than just praying in english or whatever language and i dont know if its because satan cant hear it, but i had spoke in tongue sunday and its suppose to be much more powerful, very powerful in fact

-we had spoke in tongue to help heal my friends leg and i dont know if it really worked but i heard lots of stories.. i'll see if it really helped my friend and update sunday.

candy2082002
03-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I didnt know Baptist's did that....... but most classical Pentecostals believe that the baptism in the Holy Spirit is always accompanied initially by the outward evidence of speaking in tongues. Both Pentecostals and Charismatics believe that the ability to speak in tongues, and sometimes the utterance itself, is a supernatural gift from God. I use to go to a Church of God and I heard it ALL the time. Some people I have talked to say it freaks them out, but to me it was kinda normal.....odd maybe, but I got use to it. Had to look some of that up lol

Crazy Asian
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Nah what it is is basically the holy spirit confessing their sins. Its pretty scary especially some pastors and some ppl can actually understand what their saying. Like my father's friend told me about tongue and what it is mainly praising the lord or their sexual sins. It's ridiculous. He actually gets embarrarsed and what he hears. To him its also very disturbing.

Crazy Asian
03-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Also it does come as a gift god but to those who can hear it and understand it are extremely spirtually devoted. Like I mean no cussing and literally no sins. Heck my dad is a pastor he wants to understand it so bad. It's extremely rare for someone to understand tongue.

David88vert
03-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Most of the people have trouble speaking coherently in English. How do you know that they are any better at tongues?
One of the basics of the Bible is that God is not the author of confusion. And that is what speaking in tongues does - it creates confusion. People get weirded out by it because they don't understand it. That makes it a little bit suspect right there.
I'm not saying that it's wrong, but I definately have no urge to speak in a non-intelligible language.

Rusbuilt
03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
there are two types of tongues.. one is God using the spirit inside you to minister to the church, when this happens someone in the church will deliver the message in english. the second is between you and God, the holy spirit in side you knows you better than you know yourself. it only makes sense to let it do the praying for you... speeking in tongues is a gift from God, but anyone can recive it. you get saved, baptised, and then baptised with the holy spirt.

most believe that we are not ment to speek in tongues, they say it was only ment for the ''bible days''.. but if we do everything else according to the word, then why leave speeking in tongues out?

koukis14
03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I do not believe in god. I believe in a higher power. Organized religion is one of the biggests, if not the biggest shams in the history of the world.

Rusbuilt
03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I do not believe in god. I believe in a higher power. Organized religion is one of the biggests, if not the biggest shams in the history of the world.

this dont make sense, higher power = God. search, read, dont always believe everything you hear. see for your self, its not about everyone else or what they believe. its between you and God! its your choice where you spend your life after death, but as for me......... im with Jesus!

ShooterMcGavin
03-08-2007, 10:30 PM
do they only do this when they're doin the holy roll and the holy jerk? :lmao:

koukis14
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
this dont make sense, higher power = God. search, read, dont always believe everything you hear. see for your self, its not about everyone else or what they believe. its between you and God! its your choice where you spend your life after death, but as for me......... im with Jesus!

RRRRRRight Im guessing your Southern Baptist. There is a HUGE difference between "god" and a higher power. I can believe in whatever I want. As far as don't believe everything you hear, take your own advise next time you in church hearing a story written by people even dumber then there are today. Then give them money when they put the little basket under your nose. BAAAAAAAH little sheep BAAAAAAAH.

Hektik
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
what did this have to do with this subject.....
:thinking:

also im not very big on the whole tounges thing ...
this is a story that happened to me personally... when i was younger my parents were going thru a phase in which they wanted to find the correct religion for them so we went to many different types of churches and temples. i remember going to one , dont remember the name, that spoke in tounges. they asked all the teenagers to come to the front of the room and stand in a line while the preist or pastor came down the line. he placed the palm of his hand on ur forehead and started to pray in tounges. many of the teenagers would begin to cry and shake.. this was my first time here and i was born and raised a catholic( even tho i no longer attend the church) and this was all very weird and kinda freightening to me.. when he got to me he proceeded to place his and on my forehead and start praying in tounges. tis weird and scary feeling rushed through my body at this point i did the only thing i knew to do and i began to pray the way i was taught. the preist immediately removed his hand from my forehead , i was praying to my self not out loud, stared me in the eyes and went to the next person... needles to say it was a very weir and scary situation we never went back...
sorry for the long story...

koukis14
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM

Unless your on drugs or crazy the only way you would think you were speaking in toungs to the holy spirit or god would be if you were being influenced (brainwashed) by some ass bag in a robe praying on peoples weakness for personal profit.

Hulud
03-08-2007, 10:59 PM
i was thinking the same thing

Crazy Asian
03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
All Im saying tongue is basically a language that speaks from your spirit to God nothing more. The only reason why it sounds different was there was a story that goes ppl built this tower to god. God hated it made everyone speak different language and they went they went there seperate ways. I mean god understands what you speak but from the spirit its different

AND NO THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ABOUT GOD AND WHAT BELIEF!!! If you want there's a thread about that. Im answering hulud's question.

Rusbuilt
03-11-2007, 06:25 AM
RRRRRRight Im guessing your Southern Baptist. There is a HUGE difference between "god" and a higher power. I can believe in whatever I want. As far as don't believe everything you hear, take your own advise next time you in church hearing a story written by people even dumber then there are today. Then give them money when they put the little basket under your nose. BAAAAAAAH little sheep BAAAAAAAH.

im Pentecostal.. very few sothern baptist believe in speeking in tounges. man i just turned 22 i have owned a house for 2 years, i have 10 cars, 2 trucks, and a bike(all running). i pay my tithes 10% of everything i make, and i never have less than 100 dollars in my pocket. ask bill gates he dont go to church, but he pays tithes to one. he will tell you it works!! Give to God and he will give it back pressed down, shaken together, and running over!;)