PDA

View Full Version : Woman Sues Doctors After Failed Abortion

speedminded
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Woman Sues Doctors After Failed Abortion
Boston Woman Sues for Child-Rearing Costs After Failed Abortion

BOSTON Mar 7, 2007 (AP)— A Boston woman who gave birth after a failed abortion has filed a lawsuit against two doctors and Planned Parenthood seeking the costs of raising her child.

The complaint was filed by Jennifer Raper, 45, last week in Suffolk Superior Court and still must be screened by a special panel before it can proceed to trial.

Raper claimed in the three-page medical malpractice suit that she found out she was pregnant in March 2004 and decided to have an abortion for financial reasons.

Dr. Allison Bryant, a physician working for Planned Parenthood at the time, performed the procedure on April 9, 2004, but it "was not done properly, causing the plaintiff to remain pregnant," according to the complaint.

Raper then went to see Dr. Benjamin Eleonu at Boston Medical Center in July 2004, and he failed to detect the pregnancy even though she was 20 weeks pregnant at the time, the lawsuit alleges.

It was only when Raper went to the New England Medical Center emergency room for treatment of pelvic pain in late September that year that she found out she was pregnant, the suit said.

She gave birth to a daughter on Dec. 7, 2004.

She is seeking damages, including child-rearing costs.

Raper and her lawyer, Barry C. Reed Jr., refused comment when contacted by The Boston Globe.

A spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood said the organization does not comment on pending litigation.

Neither doctor responded to requests for comment.

Raper alleges in the suit that Planned Parenthood and Bryant were negligent for failing to end her pregnancy and that Eleonu was negligent for failing to see she was still pregnant.

The state's high court ruled in 1990 that parents can sue physicians for child-rearing expenses, but limited those claims to cases in which children require extraordinary expenses because of medical problems, medical malpractice lawyer Andrew C. Meyer Jr. said.

Raper's suit has no mentions of medical problems involving her now 2-year-old daughter.

As with all medical malpractice suits in Massachusetts, Raper's complaint will have to be screened by a tribunal consisting of a Superior Court judge, a lawyer, and a doctor to determine whether it has merit to go to trial.

Discuss...

bigdare23
03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
thats gay as hell

raise your damn kids!

con
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I try and stay out of the pro-life/choice battle, although I think any innocent should have a chance at life.......but if she honestly had an abortion performed and still gave birth without additional impregnation, she has a creditable case.....

LiL PaKi
03-07-2007, 02:41 PM
it seems as if she regrets having the child after 2 years...

speedminded
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
1) Her only reasoning was financial, it wasn't rape so since when has adoption not been an option?

2) It had to be a chemical abortion otherwise it would have been obvious to the clinic if it was successful or not. There is never a guarantee with a chemical treatment.

3) As for the doctor she saw at 20 weeks or so, did she even mention she was pregnant just months before or just go in complaining about pain expecting them to automatically know what it is? You can't test for absolutely every possibility every single time AND where was her period for the 5 months before that?

Everyone wants to win the American Lottery.

LiL PaKi
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
she's not going to win.

ruah_23
03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
This is the kind of person I hate.sue this and sue that..If she haa problems financially at first than she shldn't thinking of getting pregnant at all...Asking someone to pay for her to raise a child is just a looser!!

MachNU
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah i have to agree she wont win. Why would she wit until 2 years after she had the child to try and sue. Also what did she think that she was just getting fat or something all of a sudden and that it wasnt a child. i mean come on, she and only she knew whether or not it worked after all that time!!!!

2.0civic
03-07-2007, 08:03 PM
i wander what race she is....not that it matters but if shes white black or any other american, shes a fucking disgrace and needs to be aborted herself

The Ren
03-07-2007, 08:35 PM
What a fucking pos of a person.. if you cant afford to get pregnant, then you cant afford to have sex... You could use a condom, spermacide, and birth control and there is still a chance of getting pregnant.. how dare this woman bitch and complain now 2 years later.. Its disgusting....

Big J
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I <3 America.

ISAtlanta300
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
It's too late after 2 years. She could have put the child up for adoption the moment it was born. problem solved.

Julio
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
awsome

SixSquared
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
in her defense.. a case like that... it probably took 2 years to find a lawyer willing to take the case, especially in super liberal Massachusetts, as well as draw up all the paperwork and everything to properly make a case. You can't just say "I'm suing you" without paperwork to back up your claims.. and on something like that, it was probably difficult to obtain. Admittedly, she should have given the child up for adoption if she couldn't afford to rear it.. but I can guarantee you that she didn't just wake up one morning and decide to sue.. it's probably been in the works for quite some time now.

and in response to the pelvic pain thing... THAT is completely unforgivable. A look at her medical records would have revealed the earlier abortion, and at 20 weeks there is no way to miss a fetus. Any bloodwork done would have shown elevated amounts of estrogen in the bloodstream, indicating pregnancy. No credible doctor could mistake a 20 week in pregnancy. If she has a case, this is where it lies.. Especially because that means that she, not knowing she was pregnant, had no pre-natal care, no lifestyle changes to accommodate the fetus.. none of that. 20 weeks is late in the term, but had the doctor told her she was pregnant, it would not have been too late for pre-natal care, vitamin supplements, etc etc.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here... I'm a strong fan of adoption, as it's the reason I'm here to type this to you right now, but there are two sides of every story.... I don't think her Planned Parenthood suit will go through, but I think her medical malpractice suit might have some tooth to it.

Turbo04
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I think she should be shot and the kind should be given to super rich family. That would make everything better, no?

Glides
03-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I can see it now.

"Mommy, I want that Barbie over there"
"Ok dear, lets go to the mailbox and see if the check came from where I tried to kill you and we can buy it for you"

Family Values 2007.