PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Burning Oil Bad

slowredteg
03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
i have a 98 integra ls. i got it about 2 months ago. it feels pretty strong but i noticed it was kinda low on oil about two weeks after i got it. the guy had the oil changed about 1500 miles ago so i just added half a quart and it was fine. well yesterday my oil light came on so i went to the closest place i could find a bought oil. it took 2 quarts to get it back almost full. I have driven about 2000 miles since adding the original half quart. i have no visible leaks. i checked under the car and cant find anywhere it is leaking so i assume its burning it. i replaced the pcv valve 3 weeks ago thinking that might be the problem but apparently it did help. i use 5w30 full synthetic oil. not sure if this affects it but i have a bad o2 sensor. i havent noticed any smoke from my exhaust unless the car is cold. then some dark grey smoke comes out till it warms up but not a lot of it. what could be causing my motor to burn this much oil?

Krazykouki
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Sounds like you are using too thin of an oil. Up the grade to 10w40 and see what it does. If that doesn't help try 15w50. If that doesn't help, get the engine leak down tested to see where it is leaking from. Could be valve seals or rings, I would bank more towards valve seals if its a lower mileage motor and the upping in oil weight doesn't help at all.

slowredteg
03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
motor has 160k on it. im getting oil changed this weekend to 10w30. id rather not get that heavy of a weight if i dont have to. i was worried that it was the piston rings. i really dont have $$ for that right now.

Krazykouki
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
10w 30 isn't really going to help much if it is smoking or burning oil badly...if it has 160k on it I am more than willing to say that the valve seats are prolly gone, esp. if you drive the hell out of the car. Rings normally stand up very well in Honda's with constant abuse, not valve seals though.

slowredteg
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
yeah i agree. im gonna go ahead and switch to 10w40 and see if that helps at all. if it doesnt i guess its time for new valve seals.

Killer
03-02-2007, 01:09 PM
... mine was doing the same.. i found out i had a bad head gasket... i didn't see any smoke for the longest time either.... then i saw it more and more. i was burning antifreeze too.

Vteckidd
03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Oil Control Rings.

valve stem seals dont do what you are describing.

§treet_§peed
03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Mike answer my quesiton on aim damnit

WHT_EP3
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
can you say engine rebuild or fuck it go to nad auto and pick up a b20 swap for like 800 bucks

slowredteg
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
can you say engine rebuild or fuck it go to nad auto and pick up a b20 swap for like 800 bucks

hmm....thats kinda a good idea. this really gets in the way of putting on my jdm front. damnit. this sucks.