PDA

View Full Version : OMFG My license will get suspended!?!?

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Gee...seems pretty simple, and thoroughly discussed and explained if you actually READ THE FUCKING LAW YOU'RE BREAKING. Quit coming on here asking...can someone sticky this? Just make reference for anyone that asks "OMFG, my license will get suspended?" Take your cock out, e-slap them in the face, and send them here...

Yes, I've gotten a ticket...I'm not an angel. I've paid my dues. You break the law, you gotta pay... If you don't have the money...DON'T BREAK THE LAW!

If your license gets revoked...the first time is 6months, 2nd time is 12 months, then 18months, then I think it goes to jail-time. The re-instatement fee PER revocation is 215$. Plus fines for whatever you did, plus the like...what...20$ to get your card made and take the test?

Look...it's this simple...read below, and learn the fucking law, and stop coming on here asking whats' up...jesus h. christ...

O.C.G.A. § 40-5-57

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2006 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2006 Regular Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 5. DRIVERS' LICENSES
ARTICLE 3. CANCELLATION, SUSPENSION, AND REVOCATION OF LICENSES

O.C.G.A. § 40-5-57 (2006)

§ 40-5-57. Suspension or revocation of license of habitually negligent or dangerous driver; point system

(a) The State of Georgia considers dangerous and negligent drivers to be a direct and immediate threat to the welfare and safety of the general public, and it is in the best interests of the citizens of Georgia immediately to remove such drivers from the highways of this state. Therefore, the department is authorized to suspend the license of a driver without a preliminary hearing upon a showing by the records of the department or other sufficient evidence that the licensee is a habitually dangerous or negligent driver of a motor vehicle, such fact being established by the point system in subsection (b) of this Code section.

(b) For the purpose of identifying habitually dangerous or negligent drivers and habitual or frequent violators of traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles, the department shall assess points, as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, for convictions of violations of the provisions of Chapter 6 of this title, of violations of lawful ordinances adopted by local authorities regulating the operation of motor vehicles, and of offenses committed in other states which if committed in this state would be grounds for such assessment. Notice of each assessment of points may be given, but the absence of notice shall not affect any suspension made pursuant to this Code section. No points shall be assessed for violating a provision of state law or municipal ordinance regulating standing, parking, equipment, size, and weight. The department is required to suspend the license of a driver, without preliminary hearing, when his driving record identifies him as a habitually dangerous or negligent driver or as a habitual or frequent violator under this subsection.
(c)(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of this paragraph, the points to be assessed for each offense shall be as provided in the following schedule:
Aggressive driving........................................... ....6 points
Reckless driving........................................... ......4 points
Unlawful passing of a school bus.................................6 points
Improper passing on a hill or a curve............................4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by more than 14 miles per hour but less than
19 miles per hour.............................................2 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 19 miles per hour or more but less than 24
miles per hour.............................................. ..3 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more but less than 34
miles per hour.............................................. ..4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 34 miles per hour or more...........6 points
Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer....3 points
Too fast for conditions........................................ ..0 points
Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving.....
.................................................. .....................2 points
Failure to adequately secure a load, except fresh farm produce,
resulting in loss of such load onto the roadway which results in an
accident.......................................... ............2 points
Violation of child safety restraint requirements, first offense...1 point
Violation of child safety restraint requirements, second or subsequent
offense........................................... ............2 points
All other moving traffic violations which are not speed limit violations
.................................................. .....................3 points

(B) The commissioner shall suspend the driver's license of any person who has accumulated a violation point count of 15 or more points in any consecutive 24 month period, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the most current arrest for which a conviction is obtained. A second or subsequent plea of nolo contendere, within the preceding five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which pleas of nolo contendere were accepted to the date of the most current arrest for which a plea of nolo contendere is accepted, to a charge of committing an offense listed in this subsection shall be considered a conviction for the purposes of this Code section. At the end of the period of suspension, the violation point count shall be reduced to zero points.

(C) A court may order a person to attend a driver improvement course for any violation for which points are assessed against a driver's license under this subsection or may accept the attendance by a person at a driver improvement clinic after the issuance of a citation for such offense and prior to such person's appearance before the court, in which event the court shall reduce the fine assessed against such person by 20 percent, and no points shall be assessed by the department against such driver. The disposition and court order shall be reported to the department and shall be placed on the motor vehicle record with a zero point count. This plea may be accepted by the court once every five years as measured from date of arrest to date of arrest.

(2) Any points assessed against an individual for exceeding the speed limit shall be deducted from that individual's accumulated violation point count and the uniform traffic citation issued therefor shall be removed from the individual's record if:

(A) The points were assessed based on the use of a radar speed detection device by a county or municipality during a period of time when the commissioner has determined that such county or municipality was operating a radar speed detection device in violation of Chapter 14 of this title, relating to the use of radar speed detection devices; and

(B) The commissioner has suspended or revoked the radar speed detection device permit of such county or municipality pursuant to Code Section 40-14-11.

(d) Any person who has such points assessed against him as to require the suspension of his license pursuant to subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section shall have his license suspended as follows:

(1) Upon a first assessment of the requisite points, the period of suspension shall be one year, provided that at any time after completion of the requirements set forth in Code Section 40-5-84, such person may apply to the department for the return of his license;

(2) For a second assessment of the requisite points within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the most current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, the period of suspension shall be three years, provided that at any time after completion of the requirements set forth in Code Section 40-5-84, such person may apply to the department for the return of his license; and

(3) For a third assessment of requisite points within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the most current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, such person shall have his license suspended for a period of two years. Such person shall not be eligible for early return of his license or for a limited driving permit as provided in Code Section 40-5-64 during such two-year period.

(e) The periods of suspension provided for in this Code section shall begin on the date the license is surrendered to and received by the department, from the date a license is surrendered to a court under any provision of this chapter, or on the date that the department processes the citation or conviction, whichever date shall first occur. If the license cannot be surrendered to the department, the period of suspension may begin on the date set forth in a sworn affidavit setting forth the date and reasons for such impossibility, if the department shall have sufficient evidence to believe that the date set forth in such affidavit is true; in the absence of such evidence, the date of receipt of such affidavit shall be controlling.

(f) In all cases in which the department may return a license to a driver prior to the termination of the full period of suspension, the department may require such tests of driving skill and knowledge as it determines to be proper, and the department's discretion shall be guided by the driver's past driving record and performance, and the driver shall pay the fee provided for in Code Section 40-5-84 for the return of his or her license.

PhAtBoYMr2
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Ok i'm not reading all that shit

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
On second thought, isn't this in the "DRIVER" handbook? I think it is, like 2/3's of the way through...did ya'll just NOT read the book? I know I didn't...cuz...well, it's simple, and it makes sense...

PhAtBoYMr2
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Ive read all this before.....lost mine for a year...

Thats what you get for living your life 1/4 mile at a time.

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Ok i'm not reading all that shit
Don't. It's basically summarized by "If you speed, you'll pay dues". That simple. But that's the law...word for word from the book officers and judges use in the state of georgia. I'm hoping to make it clear to anyone who comes on here being stupid...

PhAtBoYMr2
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Because for those 11 seconds I'm free

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Ive read all this before.....lost mine for a year...

Thats what you get for living your life 1/4 mile at a time.
LoL, nice. Reps to you for quoting one of the worst movies produced, and making me laugh on a rather shitty day.

I lost mine for two six-month terms back-to-back. Nearly 500$ just to get my license back EXCLUDING court fines. Learned my lesson...

PhAtBoYMr2
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
LoL, nice. Reps to you for quoting one of the worst movies produced, and making me laugh on a rather shitty day.

I lost mine for two six-month terms back-to-back. Nearly 500$ just to get my license back EXCLUDING court fines. Learned my lesson...

haha $500 is nothing

speeding tickets combined- $726
Reinstatement fee-$420
Driving school-$90
Lawyer fee $800 + 200 for appearing again

and i can't remember how much money i had to give people for gas for riding my ass everywhere back and forth..

But yeah it sucks when you lose your license proably the worst year in my life ever.

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Damn...you got bent over worse than me...sorry to hear, but I hate to say it...but we dug our own grave, ya know? Lessons learned the hardway. LoL. I'm goin' to take a nap...I'm too pissed to be awake,, LoL.

PhAtBoYMr2
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Just get a girlfriend and make her drive your ass everywhere..

if that doesn't work out theres always marta

and if that doesnt work out buy a bicycle.

Lucky DAWG
03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
all your points disappear when you turn 18 right?

i turn 18 may 5th, but have a court date June sometime for 17 over...
i see that its 2 points, but will that go on my minor record b/c thats when the offense occured or after because thats when the trial is?

DrunkScotsman
03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
try gettin two dui's thats when the money really hits yer pocket , try a lil over $20,000 , for both , hence why no drinky for me!

B18c-rex
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
^^^ Damn two dui .... that sucks. I have a friend with one almost killed himself when i told that it never drops off your record. Told him maybe in 5-10yrs it might but i doubt it .

HeLLo iM iZzY
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Im just about to get my lic back March 27th.

These 6 months have been a pain in the ass. I couldnt even imagine having it taken away for a year.

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
all your points disappear when you turn 18 right?

i turn 18 may 5th, but have a court date June sometime for 17 over...
i see that its 2 points, but will that go on my minor record b/c thats when the offense occured or after because thats when the trial is?
Yes...because the offense happened BEFORE you turned 18, it will be on your MINOR record.

try gettin two dui's thats when the money really hits yer pocket , try a lil over $20,000 , for both , hence why no drinky for me!
G'damn! PLUS all the breather-stuff you had to put in your car, plus probation plus...

Im just about to get my lic back March 27th.

These 6 months have been a pain in the ass. I couldnt even imagine having it taken away for a year.
Ok picture...knowing what sex is like...and you really like it...and you get it like 2 times a day for a year. Then you get NOTHING. You can't even beat it for a year. But everyone you know is gettin' some. That's what it's like.

Lucky DAWG
03-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes...because the offense happened BEFORE you turned 18, it will be on your MINOR record.

YES!!!!!!

yay for 2 meaningless points
still gotta pay the bill
oh well :D

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Well, I mean I THINK it'll still be on your driving record...I THINK...

sleepys4
03-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Lost mine for 18 months. lesson learned, never stop, downshift blow your shit up,"must get faster", but dont get caught!

SleeperWRX
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I have to get my shit reinstated in order to get it back in may I have to3 fines each $210

NewGen33
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Three points and it stays on my minor record. This makes me feel better.
+1 Evasive
Someone confirm and reassure me that you must do 24 or over to get your license pulled.

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
WRONG!

In order to lose your license for a six month term (if this is your first time losing it) you simply have to acquire 4points (or more) under the age of 18. 24+ mph over is where you start to get 4+ points. This also means if you get two speeding tickets...each worth 2 points under the age of 18. At age 18, your points are "erased", but your driving record still remains. It will not come up in court on your record, but it is still on your DMV record. As with ANY traffic violation (minor) it will be there for 5 years. After 5 years, it will be removed from your record, but not your DMV record. DMV records aren't EVER used unless you're charged with something serious, and someone's looking deep to find something on you.

If you get 8 points before your license is suspended under the age of 18, you'll be charged with two six-month terms back to back. This way the court fucks you by technically suspending your license twice...which means twice the fines.

If you get your license suspended for a six month term, get it back, and then get it suspended a SECOND time, your license is suspended for one set of 6 months for the first go round, 1 set of 12 months for second go round.

Hope this helps you understand...I think I covered all cases (for anyone under 18)

EvasiveEF9
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh...also, keep in mind, you can earn points with wreckless driving, running a redlight, stop sign, yield sign, following too closely, etc etc etc...

NewGen33
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
well this is my first ticket and the officer said I wouldnt lose it. I just wanted to make sure they couldnt bump it up some how.

EvasiveEF9
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh, if it's your first ticket, say it's your first ticket and ask if you can get a reduction on it. Some prosecutors are dick, but most will reduce your first ticket. Even if you don't think it'll "hurt you", go ahead and do it...

NewGen33
03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh, if it's your first ticket, say it's your first ticket and ask if you can get a reduction on it. Some prosecutors are dick, but most will reduce your first ticket. Even if you don't think it'll "hurt you", go ahead and do it...
Alright I'll be sure to ask, thanks for all the advice man.

Nissangeek
03-03-2007, 12:21 AM
I've managed to rack up 9 points since I was 17, had to pay God knows how much in fines, had to do community service and take a defensive driving course. Ive learned to be veeeery careful about what I do around here. Especially with Cobb PD's attitude toward anyone under 25.