PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ls crank and rods in a gsr block

inutero93
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
i thought doing ls/vtec in my gsr block .. is the rods strong enough or do i need to go after market .. because i found some p73 pistons but dont know if the ls rods will hold up

thanks

IntegraXTR
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
damn you're gonna get flamed......

first off, using a gsr block = vtec block would not be considered LS/VTEC. You may wanna goodle what ls/vtec is. Ls/vtec is made by using a non vtec block i.e. b20/b18a/b with a vtec head i.e. pr3 or p72. Also LS rods are weak, they will not be able to support high revs. One last note, LS rods wouldn't even fit in a b18c block. There are tons of threads on this subject, do a little search and you will find your answers. Matter of fact, is a link to your answers ON TOP OF THIS THREAD.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66414

Vuongy_Dong
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
i thought doing ls/vtec in my gsr block .. is the rods strong enough or do i need to go after market .. because i found some p73 pistons but dont know if the ls rods will hold up

thanks
do you mean stroking the gsr block with the ls crank? its not ls/vtec.

Nang
03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
ls rods will work in a gsr if you are using the crank also. lsvtec without all the other stuff needed.

edit
you will have to either bend or remove the oil squirters that are on the block.

inutero93
03-03-2007, 07:50 AM

first off, using a gsr block = vtec block would not be considered LS/VTEC. You may wanna goodle what ls/vtec is. Ls/vtec is made by using a non vtec block i.e. b20/b18a/b with a vtec head i.e. pr3 or p72. Also LS rods are weak, they will not be able to support high revs. One last note, LS rods wouldn't even fit in a b18c block. There are tons of threads on this subject, do a little search and you will find your answers. Matter of fact, is a link to your answers ON TOP OF THIS THREAD.

um i know its not ls/vtec but the same concept ... so flame away !!!! and i dont have too google about ls/vtec blah blah i know what it is i was just asking about the ls rods because i can get some type r pistons for a good deal ... i remember about bending the oil squirters

TheChosenOne
03-11-2007, 10:56 PM
umm im not a professional, but if he is using the ls rods and crank, then technically it's not an "ls/vtec" but were not going to debate that.

Who said that the ls rods were no good.:thinking: Its the pistons that are questionable. First off, if your going to build an ls/vtec, unless you've got some serious tuning, you shouldn't be reving over 8,500 rpms. What kind of head are you going to run? is it going to be built or a stock head. gsr or b16.... there are alot of determining factors.

Vteckidd
03-12-2007, 12:26 AM
rods are weak, pistons are not (in NA applications)

LS rods are thinner than GSRs and they cannot handle the revs like a GSR rod can.

is it a good idea? not really, the gains youll see from it are very minimal.

BABY J
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
I love it when God talks.

IntegraXTR
03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
um i know its not ls/vtec but the same concept ... so flame away !!!! and i dont have too google about ls/vtec blah blah i know what it is i was just asking about the ls rods because i can get some type r pistons for a good deal ... i remember about bending the oil squirters

apparently you don't know what ls/vtec is if you think its the same concept. And also, if you did know something about ls/vtec why would you use LS rods with Type-R pistons, depending on which head you go with will determine which pistons would suite better. So now you're gonna put some LS pistons and crank into a GSR block, bend your oil squirters and hit sum VTAKK so you can blow the shit out of your weak ass setup?

TheChosenOne
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
soo... if gsr rods are stronger that ls rods, then why do people build ls/vtec motros in the first black. Why not just get a full gsr or a poor mans type r

inutero93
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
apparently you don't know what ls/vtec is if you think its the same concept. And also, if you did know something about ls/vtec why would you use LS rods with Type-R pistons, depending on which head you go with will determine which pistons would suite better. So now you're gonna put some LS pistons and crank into a GSR block, bend your oil squirters and hit sum VTAKK so you can blow the shit out of your weak ass setup?

lol i do know what it is thank you .. but if you build it right it wont blow up .. if i did go with that setup i would prob go with after market rods and pistons .. i was just tryin to get opinions geez

bigdare23
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

that's a LS/Vtec :thinking:

BABY J
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
No. LS/VTEC is when you take an LS6 out of a corvette and you put a VTEC head on it.

LS2ner
03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
soo... if gsr rods are stronger that ls rods, then why do people build ls/vtec motros in the first black. Why not just get a full gsr or a poor mans type r

.....I think this is covered in a sticky...

LS (b18a/b18b) motors have longer stroke thus producing more torque than GSRs. You do LS/vtec to get benefits from both motors.. Vtec and the torque of the LS.

Vteckidd
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM

your missing the entire point.

GSR rods are stronger, VTEC rods are bigger, better bearings, better oiling system.

LS has a bigger stroke, which means a lower redline and weaker rods.

Combine LS crank with Strong Rods (eagles)=TQey vtec motor

/class