PDA

View Full Version : welding

sidewayz
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
my high flow cat just came in and m buddys dad has a welder i can use but niether one of us have ever welded, so how hard is it ???? i can solder like a mofo , is it about the same ???

drmcivicsi
02-28-2007, 09:28 PM
lol umm no take it to mainstream/turbodave

Bishop
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
if you are going to do it yourself, practice on the same metal that the cat is. Same thickness and everything.

sidewayz
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
dont really have the money to take it to anyone. "lets say i need a ten second lesson on welding " "alright ________ is the easyist way . the firt thing ima want you to do is _________ when you do that ________.............. you know what just dont mess up mona."

§treet_§peed
02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
ummm what kind of car is it for? most cars highflow cats just bolt on unless you got a test pipe

sidewayz
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
1997 camaro it dont bolt on gotta be welded

§treet_§peed
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
well in that case fuck it good begginer project only thing is gonna be a bitch when you have to go around the top

sidewayz
02-28-2007, 09:46 PM
well any tricks tips or advice on welding will be greatly appreciated and repped

Bishop
02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
bolt the flanges up, put the cat up, tack it in place, pull it all off weld it all together.

sidewayz
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
gotta be a better way but i repped you anyway this aint a honda or nissan or anything this thing is actually a lil confusing i got two exhaust manifolds coming into one pipe at the cat and all that great stuff (not dogging honda or nissan drivers) (ok maybe honda drivers )

Annihilation
03-01-2007, 12:08 AM
cut the piping off...put the cat where it needs to be.....just hit the trigger for a sec in a spot so that it hold the cat in place...do it to both ends.....then unbolt the exhaust and keep the trigger mechinizm at about 35-45degree angle hit the trigger and move along without staying at one place to long...do 1cm at a time to get use to it...... try finding some metal exhuast pipes and practice weld on the them and welding 2 pipes together

you want to set the amps so it doesnt melt through the metals

IDCoconut
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
First of, what kind of welder are you using?

Flux core? MIG? TIG? Stick?

What's the brand and model?

Tell me what brand and model MIG machine it is and I'll tell you where to set it.

Also what gauge pipe is the cat?

sidewayz
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
its the welder with the wire spool i think mig and i dont really know the gauge metal its a 3 inch high flow cat it looks like every other exhaust i have ever seen so ..........

IDCoconut
03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Do you see a big ass scuba tank looking thing in your welding cart? Any ol welder can have an aftermarket spooler. If you don't have gas, then you need to get flux core wire.

Does the welder have an A, B, C, D type setting for heat? Or is it variable?

If you don't have gas, get .030 diameter flux core wire from home depot/lowes. If the welder has the ABCD type knob, put it on A. Set wire feed between 1.5-2. Practice on some pipe that is the same diameter. The tip of the welder should be no more than half an inch from your work piece, or it'll look like you sneezed on it. Don't stay in one spot too long, you'll burn a hole through your work piece.

Do as the guy above said and weld an inch at a time since you're new.

Honestly, if you paid good money for that cat, I would not even try it yourself. You'll probably burn a hole every time you attempt to weld it and just ruin the cat. If you do succeed and connect the cat. I can almost assure you it wouldn't be sealed considering you've never touched a welder before.

There are few people out there that can just pick up a welder and start welding immediately. It isn't rocket science, but experience does help. There's more to it than it looks.

I haven't been to a muffler shop in forever since I weld my own stuff, but I'd guess it'd be no more than 20bucks just to get that thing welded in if you didn't need any piping.

santacruz77
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
JB weld ftmfw

THEONE
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
if i were you i would cut the cat off while its on the car and tack weld the new one in its place then drop the exaust so you can get a good weld all the way around the pipe. a medium heat setting and a low wire feed speed would do fine dont stay in one place to long or you will burn a hole in the pipe.
oh and give it a shot. most exaust shops in lville do welding for shit anyways ive had many shops do things for me because i was to lazy to do myself.same thing always happens i always have a leak somewhere.

shavedcivic
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
if you have never welded before don't do it. if it's your buddys dad; then he should know how to weld. have him do it.

sirkus
03-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Practice makes perfect. I used to take scrap metal and make sculptures. Test different sizes of metal and voltages and wire feed speeds. Go in C strokes.. Just up and down up and down. A perfect weld will look like a roll of nickels. You'll be able to hear the consistency of the weld too.. If it pops and cracks a lot.. You need more gas, if it just makes a burning sound... you're burning holes in it. Practice it. Hell, I'd rather stick weld.. but It's kind of hard to do with a car that can only be jacked up so high and it is harder to remain consistent without a ton of practice. More basic.
Take it to some small ass town shop. They'll charge you 30 bucks to do all of the welding. Ask him if you can watch.