PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about this? (Cell phone question)

2.0civic
02-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I found this story all over some other boards i am on and just wanted to see what you guys thought of it

basically, its MetroPCS with a broader availabilty and a little bit more.

Heres the story:

Sprint Nextel ‘grenade:’ unlimited voice, messaging and data

By Kelly Hill ([email protected])

Story posted: February 26, 2007 - 2:01 pm EDT

Advertisement
OAS_RICH('Middle1'); http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/800/1129/1172003640/oascentral-s.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/crain/RCRO_HOUSE_HOTRODPIG_300_0207/aegc3_300x250.gif (http://oascentral.rcrnews.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.rcrnews.com/news/FREE/1002/70226009/1626691603/Middle1/crain/RCRO_HOUSE_HOTRODPIG_300_0207/aegc3_300x250.gif/34353066323437323435653539643430?)
http://www.rcrnews.com/graphics/mh_spacer.gifSprint Nextel Corp. has thrown down a gauntlet in the form of two new unlimited voice and data plans offered in the San Francisco market, home of a high-tech populace.

Sprint Nextel’s two Unlimited Access Pack plans include a $120-per-month plan that includes unlimited voice calling, messaging and mobile Web access, and a $150-per-month plan that bundles all of those options plus unlimited Internet access for a personal computer.

Wireless Internet access for a computer typically costs $60 per month.

Current Analysis analyst William Ho said in a research note that the trial plans “have the effect of a grenade blast, damaging not only wireless competitors but also landline carriers (both traditional wireline and cable) with an attractive wireline substitution story (both voice and data).”

However, Ho went on to note that “although Sprint is the first national carrier to offer unlimited voice, messaging and Web access, it’s still a trial with limited availability.”

Sprint Nextel was not immediately available for comment on whether it will expand the trial or make the plans a part of its nationwide offering.

The San Francisco area is also home to regional wireless operator MetroPCS Communications Inc., which offers an unlimited calling service beginning at $30.

In other Sprint Nextel news, the carrier’s Web site coverage maps also now include an option to show cell sites added to the network within the last 90 days, and cell sites that the carrier expects to add within the next three months.

Jaimecbr900
02-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Way too expensive IMO.

That would be a great plan for someone that is constantly traveling. 99% of us who don't wouldn't get all the benefits out of that type of plan.

If MetroPCS would have a bigger range, like maybe statewide, then it would be the perfect solution. Although most National carriers can't get reception up in the mountains neither, Metro's only big problem is that when you are traveling. Even if you travel down main highways and interstates, you will eventually lose signal and be SOL. You can pay to roam, but then it starts to quickly eat into your savings.

I like Metro personally. You never have to worry about overrages or usage. Just pay your bill and the thing works all the damn time. We have Metro and Cingular. I personally prefer Metro 99% of the time. It does everything every other carrier does. The phones are kinda expensive and you have nowhere near the selection the others do, but that's not what I care about. If you're into fancy smancy phones, then Metro is NOT for you.

Cingular just ties you in with their contracts. I hate that.

I'm sure this Nextel plan will eventually make it's way across different markets and will surely go down in price due to competition. I think eventually everything will go wireless, including the net. You'll just have to have a cell phone and that's it. A hacker's paradise, but pretty cool.

AtifSajid
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM
too much..