PDA

View Full Version : ...good coilover setup?...

Mangrum
02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
:???: the next mod i am wanting to do to my car is my suspension.. first mainly for the look of the car. at first i wanted to stick lowering springs on but as i did some looking around i found out that they are good for awhile but after not to long they will blow your struts and you will pretty much have to buy a system anyway is this true? and if this is true i am not going to waste my money on just springs i am interested in doing a full coilover system.. as i do not know too much about all the different brands, types etc.. i am wondering if yall can help me.. what brands there are out there different types.. (prices, pros/cons of each) all of this would be greatly appreciated..

p.s. this will go on a 97 civic

osnap
02-27-2007, 10:02 PM
you're going to find alot of options and different people will have different opinions. at the very least, though, anyone will agree with me when i say this: regardless of whether you go with lowering springs or full coilovers, you MUST get some nice struts as well, or else you'll regret it.

I think you're getting a bit confused though. if im right, you're making the exact same mistake as i was. you say since you hear springs alone can blow your struts, you wanna go with full coilovers. however, coilovers are BASICALLY just an adjustable version of springs. coilover is derived from "coil over sleeve", which means what it implies: a spring (coil), over an adjustable sleeve. You'll need new struts either way, though many coilover sets come with them already. Technically, though, the strut is a seperate item from springs and coilovers.

If you want adjustability, or you wanna be slammed, you want coilovers. If you just want a bit of a drop to reduce fender gap, go with springs. Coilovers are a good bit more expensive, and if you go pretty low, you're gonna want a camber kit to prevent uneven tire wear, too. But again, either way, you're gonna want to make sure you replace the factory struts no matter what.

im not an expert or anything but lmk if you have any questions i can try and answer

As far as good brands go... Tein, Tokico, Koni, KYB, Skunk2, K-Sport.... so many more. a good budget spring/strut setup IMHO is KYB AGX / Tein S-Tech. Coilovers are gonna vary more depending on how much you're looking to spend. K-Sports seem to be VERY popular, and a full strut/coilover setup runs about 900 new, so they are a good intermediate product.

This is long, but its a pretty good read if you want to better understand your car's suspension. (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm)

+1 would be appreciated :goodjob:

Fr33way
02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
^^^ Man deserves reps.

I will just say that the most crucial part of the coil-over is that the dampening is matched to the springrate. This is luck of the draw with ebay type springs. If you go with something more like an S-Tech or Eibach and know the rates you can decide which dampers to match them up with AGX/Illumina/Koni....adjustables are a given.

shavedcivic
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Skunk2

Sol-Badguy
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Skunk2
Bleh.
:toilet: