PDA

View Full Version : Updates on recent debates

Jaimecbr900
06-21-2005, 02:39 PM
I didn't think merely bumping old threads would do, so I'll combine two recent very good debates that have had recent developments.

#1- The runaway bride thing. She settles with the city for almost nothing, then turns around and makes a ton of money from a book deal. Is that right?

On the same subject, why is she even allowed to make any money on this? I thought you couldn't profit from crime? Isn't it illegal?

#2- The Terrie Schiavo case. Recent autopsy reports revealed that the husband and doctors were in fact correct in the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of Mrs. Schiavo. She was in fact severely brain damaged and blind. Even after the hard data has been released, her parents and supporters still say they should have left the tube in. Agree or disagree?

Again on the same subject, why would ANY gov't try to intervene in a case such as this? Who has the legal right to terminate treatment? Family or spouse?

Share your thoughts, but be prepared to debate them. ;)

sapphire
07-30-2005, 05:08 PM
it's not the fact that the runaway bride is writing a book about her story it's the people who will buy the book that worries me,as for the terrie schiavo case i understand that the family wanted to do everything they could but at some point you have to face the facts and let that person go and it's wrong that the government got involved because it's none of their business, it was the 'holier than thou' people that get involved that really make me angry she wasn't alive she was just existing.

tony
07-30-2005, 05:44 PM
On the same subject, why is she even allowed to make any money on this? I thought you couldn't profit from crime? Isn't it illegal?

One word, capitalism.. its the society we live in. People make money off of others misfortune every day.. the lottery would be a good example and I can expand on that if you'd like. I dont agree with what she did but why shouldn't she be able to profit from it?

I agree with you on the other case so I cant really argue, I think it was more of a case of emotion more than anything else but the government never should have gotten involved.

Jaimecbr900
07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
One word, capitalism.. its the society we live in. People make money off of others misfortune every day.. the lottery would be a good example and I can expand on that if you'd like. I dont agree with what she did but why shouldn't she be able to profit from it?

Capitalism? Sorry, but profiting off a CRIME is not anything but wrong, period.

She committed a CRIME. A CRIME she has now pleaded GUILTY to, therefore she should not profit from it.

In what world is profiting from doing the WRONG thing OK?????

4dmin
08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
#1 the bitch should of gone to jail to begin w/ for fucking w/ us all

#2 its amazing it took this long for them to realize she needed to die :rolleyes:

tony
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Capitalism? Sorry, but profiting off a CRIME is not anything but wrong, period.

She committed a CRIME. A CRIME she has now pleaded GUILTY to, therefore she should not profit from it.

In what world is profiting from doing the WRONG thing OK?????

But how is she profiting from it.. the money isn't just dropping out of the sky. Apparently whoever is paying her the money feels they can profit as well. If you go to jail and someone is offering you money for your story, you're telling me that you will pass the opportunity up?

Jaimecbr900
08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
But how is she profiting from it.. the money isn't just dropping out of the sky. Apparently whoever is paying her the money feels they can profit as well. If you go to jail and someone is offering you money for your story, you're telling me that you will pass the opportunity up?

The LAW states that one cannot profit from the commission of a crime. It is very loose and ambiguous, but it does exist. This is why money is confiscated when found to be DRUG profits. By your logic, IF people are stupid enough to PAY for drugs one should be able to KEEP the money made from it????? Right???? Well guess what? You and I both know that's not the case. Bizillion dollars worth of cash and merchandise gets seized every year by the gov't in drug raids. Why can't drug dealers keep it? Some may argue that drug dealers are doing nothing wrong except SUPPLYing a good for a DEMAND. Capitalism by definition right there. Why can't they keep it then, by your logic?

I'll tell you why: BECAUSE IT'S A CRIME. The LAW says you can't profit from it.

Little Miss liar committed a crime. No lesser than any other misdemeanor crime. If you go out and get caught with pot in your pocket, you will be convicted of a crime. You would be no less a criminal than she is because both would have been charged and CONVICTED of misdemeanor offense.

It has been vastly rumored since the beginning that this was all a hoax orchestrated by both the groom and the bride to be to make MONEY. I don't know if that's true or not and so far noone has pursued that angle too much. Point is that is the very reason why the LAW says you can't profit from CRIME. Otherwise, it would be a free-for-all with clever hoaxes being perpetrated in order to make MONEY.

BTW, there are tons of convicted felons in prison right now that have been offered everything from book to movie deals. ALL so far have not been allowed to PROFIT from those deals. Their families may be able to, but they as individuals can't.