PDA

View Full Version : replacing a head

Killer
02-23-2007, 06:27 PM
i replaced my head.. now my car won't start...

what i need to know is how much the "timing" matters.... like my car was at one point... the pistions were arranged in what ever order they where in the valves and the cams.. all that..

now of course they are all different because i put a new head on so of course it's not all in the same "timing" that it was before.. does that matter when replacing a head.. do the cams and valves need to match up timing wise with the pistons as it was when u shut the car off last?

crxsiguy
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah, you have to put the #1 At TDC and line up the Timing marks on the cams and it will be exactly how it was before you took it apart, there are timing marks on the cover to line the gears up and also double check all your connections

Killer
02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
i don't have a timing belt cover... so i'm gonna have to measure it through the # 1 spark plug...

Killer
02-23-2007, 07:53 PM
a picture of the markings on the cams would be nice.... i think i know what it is.. but i'm not sure...

crxsiguy
02-23-2007, 09:36 PM
its on the inside of the cover like under the belt, unless you dont have that either than i dont know what to tell ya.. sorry

Killer
02-24-2007, 12:14 AM
no timing belt cover.....

i was told the actual cams have a notch on them or something to that affect to line them up... the pistons i'll just have to take the plug out and look.

crxsiguy
02-24-2007, 02:05 AM
no timing belt cover.....

i was told the actual cams have a notch on them or something to that affect to line them up... the pistons i'll just have to take the plug out and look.
when you take out the crank pulley there is a notch but i guess that doesnt help with no covers and yes the cam gears have a notch i will draw a pic to show you what i mean

chava_rx7
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM
to reset your timing you the best way to doit is to pull the number 1 spark plug and put apencil or somthing that you can get inside the cylinder and still see out the hole then you turn your crank pully either by hand or with a socket and a wrench and check to see when the pencil or what ever you put is at the highest point try to center it at the best spot. this will make sure that your piston is at top dead center and depending on what type of head you put on it is where your timing marks are at if is a SOHC your marks will be at the crank pully and at the tensioner and at the cam gear you will have to get a manual that tells you how this three line up. and just line them up and your good to go. if is a DOHC you will have to look for timing marks just on the two cam gears and line them up how the manual tells you or im not sure but in a honda they have to be facing ech other for an example look at my atachment and line them up sort of like that. for the timing marks look for any marks on the pulleys or gears for dots grooves indentatinos anything that looks like a factory made mark :goodjob:

Killer
02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/kvb1085/camgears.jpg

this is what i've got, but when the notches are facing eachother the last two valves on the intake side are being pushed down.

Z U L8R
02-24-2007, 04:21 PM
lmfao your pic up there looks like cross eyed boobs. ownage. good job on taking the head off lol. if you know the 4 strokes of a 4 stroke engine then you'll know on the third stroke, the air and fuel is compressed and the valves are closed and right when that piston gets to the very top, it receives spark, and there is an explosion contained in the cylinder which forces the piston down.

you have ignition timing and you have valve timing. the distributor is ignition timing, and the timing belt is for valve timing, your valves have to be closed during stroke #3 or you will have low/no compression. here's the other thing. just because piston number 1 is at the very top of it's stroke doesn't mean it's on the compression stroke. so if you have no LOWER timing cover then you only have a 50/50 chance of lining up your crankshaft to the correct tdc, because there are other factors to think about like oil pump and/or balance shaft if you have vtec (i don't care enough about hondas to memorize all the codes of chassis or engines or what came in what). so if you do not have the LOWER timing cover, then you need to take off your harmonic balancer which is the big pulley at the bottom that the alternator and power steering belt goes on. and the timing belt. once you have those off you need to line up the crankshaft pulley which is what the timing belt goes on. it should have a dot or grove in it, and you need to line that up with the dot or grove or slit that's noticeably there behind/next to it, you'll be like "why the fuck is this little notch here and why is there a dot on this gear" yes line those up, and i bet the piston on cylinder 1 will be at the very top of it's stroke. congratulations you found cylinder 1 tdc.

now line up the cam(s) usually hondas say (UP). you put UP at 12 o'clock and you'll see at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock slits, those should line up flush with the top of the head where it meets with the valve cover. now put your timing belt back on without moving anything, put everything else back together, and before you start your car, tell yourself you're a jerk for taking off a head without marking shit and or knowing wtf you were doing, then pray to jesus that you didn't damage any valves while you were trying to start it with the valve timing all fucked up. after it starts, remember who's your daddy =]

ranj
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
lmfao your pic up there looks like cross eyed boobs. ownage. good job on taking the head off lol. if you know the 4 strokes of a 4 stroke engine then you'll know on the third stroke, the air and fuel is compressed and the valves are closed and right when that piston gets to the very top, it receives spark, and there is an explosion contained in the cylinder which forces the piston down.

you have ignition timing and you have valve timing. the distributor is ignition timing, and the timing belt is for valve timing, your valves have to be closed during stroke #3 or you will have low/no compression. here's the other thing. just because piston number 1 is at the very top of it's stroke doesn't mean it's on the compression stroke. so if you have no LOWER timing cover then you only have a 50/50 chance of lining up your crankshaft to the correct tdc, because there are other factors to think about like oil pump and/or balance shaft if you have vtec (i don't care enough about hondas to memorize all the codes of chassis or engines or what came in what). so if you do not have the LOWER timing cover, then you need to take off your harmonic balancer which is the big pulley at the bottom that the alternator and power steering belt goes on. and the timing belt. once you have those off you need to line up the crankshaft pulley which is what the timing belt goes on. it should have a dot or grove in it, and you need to line that up with the dot or grove or slit that's noticeably there behind/next to it, you'll be like "why the fuck is this little notch here and why is there a dot on this gear" yes line those up, and i bet the piston on cylinder 1 will be at the very top of it's stroke. congratulations you found cylinder 1 tdc.

now line up the cam(s) usually hondas say (UP). you put UP at 12 o'clock and you'll see at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock slits, those should line up flush with the top of the head where it meets with the valve cover. now put your timing belt back on without moving anything, put everything else back together, and before you start your car, tell yourself you're a jerk for taking off a head without marking shit and or knowing wtf you were doing, then pray to jesus that you didn't damage any valves while you were trying to start it with the valve timing all fucked up. after it starts, remember who's your daddy =]

wow nice... follow that and it should be all good.

Killer
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM

i appreciate the help.. but i had no other options but to take it off my self... i don't have the money to take it to a shop or do anything like that.. and we did have the original head marked but i screwed that up moving things... shit happens.... and yeah i'll give it to u, i don't know shit about cars.. but i'll bet u didn't at one point either...

Killer
02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
i'm done screwing with it.. i'm gonna take this thing in soon.. any places near sandy springs or marietta that any one suggests?

ranj
02-26-2007, 07:13 PM
i'm telling you go get a manual and you will be good, it will tell you step by step how to do it all.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Z U L8R basically said it all.

I assume you have a dohc from your pic...
Make the cam gears point up by making the exhaust cam gear's 3 o clock notch on the cam gears teeth line up with the intake's 9 o clock notch. These notches will line up with the bottom of the valve cover as well.

Pull the crank pulley off. Look at the crank sprocket and there should be a line on it. Match the line up with a little triangle arrow on the oil pump. Now throw the belt on without moving anything.

Annihilation
02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
hopefully you didnt bend the valves already trying to start it when the timign was off

RandomGuy
02-27-2007, 01:51 AM
damn dave you came from left field, didnt know you posted much haha

Killer
02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
.......... again.. i'm not gonna do anymore work to this car.. i'm burnt out.. i just want to find a good local shop in marietta... or sandy springs...

i got the manual.. but chances are i've bent the valves... i don't want to screw anything else up worse...

Killer
02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
well, this sucks.. i'm getting the car picked up today.. and it should be done in 2-4 days... i'm sure it won't be cheap on me either... i may cry.. but then again.. atleast i'll have my car back!

drmcivicsi
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
which shop did u pick ?

2.0civic
02-27-2007, 01:09 PM
whered you go?

Killer
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
well as i'm unsure of the area, and no one had any suggestions.. there is shop called McCullough Napa about 5 miles from where my car is now/and where i work...

my boss was kinda pushing me to get it going and since he's letting me borrow his ODDESSY! (hondas ftmfw! lol) i figured i better.

Z U L8R
02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
you can do eeiit! =]

Killer
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
^^^ are u ever in marietta?

SLow_POke
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
:thinking: i remember suggesting you make SURE you et a shop manual. well its good you took it to ashop but 2-4 days to slap on a head:thinking: (assuming you didnt bent any valves or anything..)

GL.

Z U L8R
03-01-2007, 07:12 AM
i'm in marietta yes =]

Killer
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
i'm in marietta yes =]

your shop as in.. where u go to get ur car worked on.. or a shop u work at yourself...

i'm asking cause i saw a car very similar to the one in your avy, at the chevron on roswell rd.. had no hood on it... sounded unreal though! thought maybe it was u.

Killer
03-01-2007, 10:09 AM
:thinking: i remember suggesting you make SURE you et a shop manual. well its good you took it to ashop but 2-4 days to slap on a head:thinking: (assuming you didnt bent any valves or anything..)

GL.

yeah i know... they are taking their sweet time that's for sure....

they are taking both heads that i have to another shop.. like a machine shop... to get looked at and see which one is gonna cost less to fix.. see if there are cracks.. so on and so forth...