PDA

View Full Version : Stock Turbo EVO 8 vs Batlground Evo (Ct9gsr vs. Dan)

Big Baller
06-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I cant seem to find where the video is posted. Am I missing it. I heard it was a really close race.

Matt

ct9a gsr
06-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I'll have the video posted later... although the video sucks. You can barely tell who won (Dan) and you can barely tell how much he won by (1.5 ~ 2 cars in my judgement)... however, you can tell it was a really close race... that is if you can see past all the shaking of the camcorder.

Also, my camera man turned off the camera right when BG's motor pop'd and smoke was everywhere.

Big Baller
06-22-2005, 10:48 PM
no one has posted a video still

ct9a gsr
06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Sorry for such a crappy video... someone bumped into the arm of the person who was recording the footage causing the camera to stop recording... however you can see the thick smoke in the last couple of seconds.

Click here for the video (http://students.kennesaw.edu/~crw7727/pictures/ct9avsbgevo.wmv)

If there's anything not accurate with the introduction of the video, and if you care, let me know and I'll change it.

Big Baller
06-23-2005, 12:54 AM
looked good to me, those evos were moving pretty good.

You better watch out for Jason though, They tell me his car is going to be sick.

fawk_you
06-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Charles, that was a very crappy video man--- in person, it was better. :2cents:

SandM
06-23-2005, 06:23 AM
wow, there wasnt much actual footage of the race there. but, it was worth a try.

Badazzcr
06-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Looked like a close race.. maybe 1-2 cars at the most.

4dmin
06-23-2005, 09:18 AM
sorry to burst anyones bubble but there is over 150+hp/100+lbs difference... i highly doubt it would be 1-2 cars w/ a good running motor. and the cars take off suddenly the camera starts to move :goodjob:

Vteckidd
06-23-2005, 09:34 AM
+1 for Batlground

Not bad for a stock block, stock manifold car. this is a bad representation though, cause if your making 400whp with a stock turbo, of course itll be close in the beginning, youll spoll faster and be at full boost sooner when you shift. The batlground car, had you made a longer run, would have started walking you pretty hard in the upper gears and RPM range i would imagine

both fast cars nonetheless

gsujeff5
06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
CT9, what is your best time at the track?

How you like your flash compared to the UTEC?

ct9a gsr
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
The race was from ~45mph - 120mph. Dan made an agreement with me before the race that we would shut down at 120mph. Yes, there is a big difference in peak whp/wtq #'s between his car and my car... however, those are only peak #'s. The powerband, otherwise known as the area under the curve, is also a crucial part of how a car performs.

I'm definitely not bashing on BatlGround's Evo though. If the race continued to 140mph or 160mph, he would have easily pulled another 5 or more cars on me. However, from my driver's point of view, before the smoke clouded my vision, he was about 1.5 ~ 2 cars ahead and in the process of pulling away.

ct9a gsr
06-23-2005, 02:24 PM
CT9, what is your best time at the track?

How you like your flash compared to the UTEC?

I was supposed to get official track times with my new setup on Friday, but the storm canceled that.

Come to Commerce this friday (tommorow) if you wanna see my car in action... otherwise, I'll have video clips for anyone that cares after I come back home.

The two main thing I miss about the UTEC is the ability to change maps on the fly... and the 2-step launch controller. I wish there was a cheap way to install an aftermarket 2-step launch controller on our Evo's without any major modifications. Besides those two features, the flash is giving me a lot more power than the UTEC and it is less knock-prone.

Vteckidd
06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
The race was from ~45mph - 120mph. Dan made an agreement with me before the race that we would shut down at 120mph. Yes, there is a big difference in peak whp/wtq #'s between his car and my car... however, those are only peak #'s. The powerband, otherwise known as the area under the curve, is also a crucial part of how a car performs.

I'm definitely not bashing on BatlGround's Evo though. If the race continued to 140mph or 160mph, he would have easily pulled another 5 or more cars on me. However, from my driver's point of view, before the smoke clouded my vision, he was about 1.5 ~ 2 cars ahead and in the process of pulling away.
I know what a powerband is , HENCE me saying that taht race looked like it was advantage for you, but if you went to a higher speed/mph dan would win by more, cause then you would be in his powerband

as i said, still fast cars

gsujeff5
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I was supposed to get official track times with my new setup on Friday, but the storm canceled that.

Come to Commerce this friday (tommorow) if you wanna see my car in action... otherwise, I'll have video clips for anyone that cares after I come back home.

The two main thing I miss about the UTEC is the ability to change maps on the fly... and the 2-step launch controller. I wish there was a cheap way to install an aftermarket 2-step launch controller on our Evo's without any major modifications. Besides those two features, the flash is giving me a lot more power than the UTEC and it is less knock-prone.

i REALLY can't believe you chose a Unmodifiable flash over the UTEC....craziness
we need to run each other since we have basically the same mods(i think) and we didn't get to do it at import showdown because your clutch took a dook.

what clutch you end up going with? what power you make on the dyno after the fat boy tuned it?

ct9a gsr
06-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I ended up with a Cusco carbon/carbon twin-disc with the help of BatlGround.

Al made 389whp / 420wtq before the car started to misfire under boost.

Come to the track tommorow, we'll have some fun and I'll get some good footage of your car. =]

Oh, and vteckiddd, I wasn't argueing with you at all. I completely agree that if the race went longer and further, Dan would have continued to pull on me quite some more in 5th gear.

Tracer
06-23-2005, 03:21 PM
looked good to me, those evos were moving pretty good.

You better watch out for Jason though, They tell me his car is going to be sick.

Hey Matt, Yeah I heard that your car is going to be sick also. (Not the Stang but the WRX) I need to get with you soon and chat alittle or something. I need your help. :bow:

gsujeff5
06-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I ended up with a Cusco carbon/carbon twin-disc with the help of BatlGround.

Al made 389whp / 420wtq before the car started to misfire under boost.

Come to the track tommorow, we'll have some fun and I'll get some good footage of your car. =]

Oh, and vteckiddd, I wasn't argueing with you at all. I completely agree that if the race went longer and further, Dan would have continued to pull on me quite some more in 5th gear.

come where tomorrow? and what time...i work till 5:30 and im in south ga

ct9a gsr
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Commerce, Ga... Atlanta Dragway. It's way up north on i-85n... but if you're south Ga, that may be too far. =[

Track opens at 6.

gsujeff5
06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
ya, aint makin that trip.

ill prob see you at the next import showdown....let me know what kind of numbers you get at commerce though....you still on your stock tires?

Big Baller
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
i REALLY can't believe you chose a Unmodifiable flash over the UTEC....craziness
we need to run each other since we have basically the same mods(i think) and we didn't get to do it at import showdown because your clutch took a dook.

what clutch you end up going with? what power you make on the dyno after the fat boy tuned it?

Utec sucks, it sucked for the wrx and it sucks for the EVOs. I wouldnt put that garbage on anything I own again. Worst mod I ever made to any car I have ever had.

Matt

gsujeff5
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
LOL, UTEC doesn't suck for the evo....not my favorite piggyback(i run the xede) but its a great unit...far better than a flash

Dragonfly5338
06-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Utec sucks, it sucked for the wrx and it sucks for the EVOs. I wouldnt put that garbage on anything I own again. Worst mod I ever made to any car I have ever had.

Matt

x2

Big Baller
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
LOL, UTEC doesn't suck for the evo....not my favorite piggyback(i run the xede) but its a great unit...far better than a flash

Not to be a dick but, How many other piggybacks slash standalones have you tried.

Well your wrong the utec does in fact suck, period the end.

A flash is far superior.

HyPer50
06-24-2005, 03:38 AM
Whose the girl I can thank for blowing out my ear drums? Tracy? Was this the same night I saw yall at Galyans? Saturday i think.

Speedm0(\)key
06-24-2005, 04:17 AM
in the past i would have agreed... but on this day in time.. standalone>flash>piggyback

girly_typeR
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Yup, the video was crappy... The race was really close, and it was better in person.

batlbrandon
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
look I wasn't there, but first charles got the jump, second before the engine became air cooled you can see the difference in distance by the headlight beams, third I ain't starting shit just my opinion. yea the power band is different but if we could overlay the two dyno charts I think you might be surprised but since we don't have a dyno chart available for CT9A then it is all speculation.

mogallo
06-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Whos slow ass Supra was that????? :D

gsujeff5
06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Not to be a dick but, How many other piggybacks slash standalones have you tried.

Well your wrong the utec does in fact suck, period the end.

A flash is far superior.

LOL, since you seem to have vast knowledge of engine tuning, tell me WHY it sucks? Tell me why a standalone is so great, i mean, sure its wonderful for a purpose built race car....but not a street car that isn't tuned 3 times a week. Weather changes, altitude changes, anything like that fucks your tune to shit with a standalone.(this isn't only directed at you but the other guy who said standalones were superior).

And as for a flash, gimme a break....what happens when your car is flashed and then you get out on the road and something changes(temp, ect) and the car pulls timing all the fucking time because its tooned too aggressively...you are fuxored until someone can fly back down to your area and change it....or if you add a new part...gotta send your damn ecu off and your 300 dollar custom tune is shot to shit.

BTW, what is it you drive that needs engine management???

HiPSI
06-25-2005, 05:15 PM
LOL, since you seem to have vast knowledge of engine tuning, tell me WHY it sucks? Tell me why a standalone is so great, i mean, sure its wonderful for a purpose built race car....but not a street car that isn't tuned 3 times a week. Weather changes, altitude changes, anything like that fucks your tune to shit with a standalone.(this isn't only directed at you but the other guy who said standalones were superior).

And as for a flash, gimme a break....what happens when your car is flashed and then you get out on the road and something changes(temp, ect) and the car pulls timing all the fucking time because its tooned too aggressively...you are fuxored until someone can fly back down to your area and change it....or if you add a new part...gotta send your damn ecu off and your 300 dollar custom tune is shot to shit.

BTW, what is it you drive that needs engine management???

what standalone do you run? my PowerFC works just fine in all weather conditions, as i've seen with several other systems like the LINK i ran on my miata, and even the low buck SDS i had on my conquest. i've also seen several cars running AEM standalones that ran great year round, and a couple of TEC2 and TEC3 cars that always ran great (both on turbo miatas).

so what standalone have you personally owned that had to get re-tuned every season change? just curious.

gsujeff5
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
wouldn't have to be retuned every change if they weren't tuned pretty aggressively...my car is tuned that way though...most tuners do not do that with standalones because they don't wanna be the tuner that blew your motor.

so, if you want a slightly detuned car, i guess standalones are great. And the only thing i have experience with is the AEM.

HiPSI
06-25-2005, 06:09 PM
wouldn't have to be retuned every change if they weren't tuned pretty aggressively...my car is tuned that way though...most tuners do not do that with standalones because they don't wanna be the tuner that blew your motor.

so, if you want a slightly detuned car, i guess standalones are great. And the only thing i have experience with is the AEM.

regardless of how it's tuned, the car should still run correctly in all conditions assuming your tuner knows what's up and your system is more than just a fuel computer controlled by the TPS ;). it may need minor adjustments if you're talking about extreme temperature changes between seasons, but that's just because you didn't hit that part of the map when you originally tuned. but once you get both extremes tuned a half assed good standalone can easily interpolate everything in between using all of the sensors at it's disposal to detect those weather/elevation changes (ie. airflow or map sensor, water temp, air temp if applicable, 02 when in closed loop, etc). again, it may take a few tuning sessions to get the entire map right but once you've got it and you don't change your setup then there should be no problems running all times of year regardless.

mogallo
06-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Standalone > All

If you dont agree with this..... give me some of that shit you snort on!!!!!

gsujeff5
06-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I didn't say standalones weren't the best...but for 95% of people they are NOT. Far more finicky than other types.

Basically, i like the safety parameters of the stock ECU....something silly happens(like a failing sensor, ect) and the ECU is there to pull timing if need be. A perfectly tuned AEM has been known to net about 10whp more than a perfectly tuned xede(atleast in the evo world).

I just think flashes suck the kak

Big Baller
06-25-2005, 11:46 PM
I didn't say standalones weren't the best...but for 95% of people they are NOT. Far more finicky than other types.

Basically, i like the safety parameters of the stock ECU....something silly happens(like a failing sensor, ect) and the ECU is there to pull timing if need be. A perfectly tuned AEM has been known to net about 10whp more than a perfectly tuned xede(atleast in the evo world).

The AEM can compensate just like the stock ecu if setup properly. Flashes can be done by lots of local shops, you dont have to fly someone in to tune your car. Flashes do retain the stock saftey features of the factory ecu thats what makes flashes great. The problem with piggy back especially the utec is that the factory computer is always trying to learn around the utec. The utec just does not work period. Its a waste of time. But you obviously know more than me and have far more experince so just do what ever you like.

Matt

HiPSI
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM

well both my PowerFC and my LINK are both plug'n'play systems and both have all the same built in safety parameters that the stock ECU had and then some. the SDS which was a super basic setup even had provisions to program that stuff in, it just took a bit more tuning when the others had that stuff pre-programmed.

mogallo
06-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Hahahah how in the fuck did this turn into an ECU debate???