PDA

View Full Version : Misc Atlanta Punk/Hardcore scene roots... (free downloads)

4dmin
02-22-2007, 08:37 PM
http://www.costumeaudio.com/index.php

This is a great site for those who don't know the roots of the Punk/Hardcore scene in the 90s-00s... this is an excellent collection of great local acts: Act of Faith, Broken, Crisis Under Control, Dawn of Orion, Inkwell, M.F.R, Portrait, Quadiliacha, Tres Kids, etc.

enjoy :goodjob:

hXc007
02-22-2007, 11:58 PM
this is freaking awesome man! great find!

my older brother use to go see these bands play at the wreck room and the somber shitpile when those clubs were still around downtown back in the early 90s

whenever he would pick me up from school back when i was in elementary school, he would be listening to these bands in his old corolla lol

but anyways, thanks for posting this link

mad props:goodjob:

GTScoob
02-23-2007, 01:14 AM
I went to one show at the Somber Reptile back in HS but know nothing of this local history. I'm way too out of touch with the local music scene.

Glides
02-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Man thats some good stuff. Back int eh old days of Atl. Back when the Point was the point and not a fucking Gap, even the old Metroplex days. Good find.

4dmin
02-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Hell ya guys Somber Shitpile (that is a quadiliacha song by the way), 513, BLT's, Point, Wreckroom, Under The Couch, Buford Civic Center, Rivershyre Club house, and the countless houses we used to throw shows at...

I got into hardcore/punk scene here back in 94, by the time i was in late HS I remember seeing bands like HATEBREED before they signed to Victory. Good times it was awesome back then to go hang out at local shows and it wasn't such a fashion show; back when sXe/Vegan was breaking into the scene. Most of the bands I listed we used to listen to or see on weekly basis, some went to HS w/ me. It is pretty funny to look at the scene now b/c back then it seems so small and now it is all over the map.

The only people on the boards I know that have been around since back in the day are: Ianhavok(ian), B@d @pple(justin), Autofab(thomas), etc

Glides
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Yea I was back in the military in the early 90s and wasn't around the Atl scene. Did get into some Boston stuff, Slapshot shows are legendary. Saw some good metal stuff in Va Beach, DRI, old Bio Hazard. The some infammous Shades nightclub shows in Jacksonville, Sick of it all and Sepultura are 2 that stand out.

Loved shows like that, could just go and cut loose no bullshit, no bruised egos if you got punched in the pit and no Mallternative jackoffs running loose. Was a good scene all around back then.

Goinfasterthanu
02-23-2007, 08:11 AM
wow you guys justt took me back to the days of the metroplex.. Anyone old enough to remember that place? Glad to see im not the only oldschool mo fo...

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Hell ya guys Somber Shitpile (that is a quadiliacha song by the way), 513, BLT's, Point, Wreckroom, Under The Couch, Buford Civic Center, Rivershyre Club house, and the countless houses we used to throw shows at...

I got into hardcore/punk scene here back in 94, by the time i was in late HS I remember seeing bands like HATEBREED before they signed to Victory. Good times it was awesome back then to go hang out at local shows and it wasn't such a fashion show; back when sXe/Vegan was breaking into the scene. Most of the bands I listed we used to listen to or see on weekly basis, some went to HS w/ me. It is pretty funny to look at the scene now b/c back then it seems so small and now it is all over the map.

The only people on the boards I know that have been around since back in the day are: Ianhavok(ian), B@d @pple(justin), Autofab(thomas), etc
OMFG!!!! dude this site fuckin rocks, trust me i was there is my freshman year of high school (94) i was at 513 till that kid got hurt and his parents sued and the club got shut down. i was at somber shitpile a few times, i was at under the couch allmost every weekend. i went to high school and was very good friends with jeff let who ended up being a part of downpour and eventually went on to get with chris black and joe pepper to get into cartel. that was when chris black was fat, we all got arrested to spray painted shit together:lmao: i was there at the westside wearhouse see 18 visions, glass eater, downpour, ect... man still the one of the best shows was poison the well before they got big at under the couch, that club was sooo freakin small and so many bodys in there it was insane, just standing there u would be covered in sweat.

+3 to you paul

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Rivershyre Club house- they used to have shows in the kitchen there right?

Glides
02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
wow you guys justt took me back to the days of the metroplex.. Anyone old enough to remember that place? Glad to see im not the only oldschool mo fo...

Yea I remember that place. I think it was Motorhead that closed it, final show there if I can recall.

Glides
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Oh, and if you haven't checked this out, go for it.

American Hardcore, history of American Punk 80-86. Got some great stuff in there. New release at Blockbuster too so you don't have to search far.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419434/

Chronicles Hardcore from the different areas of the country from the New York street style to the Gang punks from Cali. Good stuff.

4dmin
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Rivershyre Club house- they used to have shows in the kitchen there right?

ya that is my old neighborhood... my parents still live in there. we used to throw shows there all the time for M.F.R, One Way, etc :goodjob:

I went to school w/ the guys from M.F.R, Dawn of Orion, Portrait, etc... Ezra Morris used to throw a bunch of shows he went to school w/ us as well he later went on to sing for Down Power then Power of?...

those were the days, most of the bands in the scene today just plain suck; nothing was better then going to a show to see locals or bands like Morning Again, Catharsis, etc (they played here so much there were basically locals). i love pulling out some of my old vinyl and rocking out. :guitar: i still have to this day all of my old Tshirts, patches,etc from the atlanta bands. i also have Act of Faith last show on vid and Quadiliacha house show. I think I have the last Crisis Under Control show somewhere as well.:yes:

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
ya that is my old neighborhood... my parents still live in there. we used to throw shows there all the time for M.F.R, One Way, etc :goodjob:

I went to school w/ the guys from M.F.R, Dawn of Orion, Portrait, etc... Ezra Morris used to throw a bunch of shows he went to school w/ us as well he later went on to sing for Down Power then Power of?...

those were the days, most of the bands in the scene today just plain suck; nothing was better then going to a show to see locals or bands like Morning Again, Catharsis, etc (they played here so much there were basically locals). i love pulling out some of my old vinyl and rocking out. :guitar: i still have to this day all of my old Tshirts, patches,etc from the atlanta bands. i also have Act of Faith last show on vid and Quadiliacha house show. I think I have the last Crisis Under Control show somewhere as well.:yes:
yes then i have been there. i remember now cause they used to set up in the kitchen, the 1st time i went i was like WTF? are theese guys for real? but they ended up being damn good shows. do remember black paper diary? somebody on IA used to have that SN? one of my best friends chris started that band with half the kids from cartel, but he ended up going into the air force so they shut black paper dairy down and started cartel. u are right though, thoose were the fuckin days man, 5 buck shows and a bunch of kickass bands. now its costs u 15 bucks to get in the masqurade and they are pussy ass bands.

4dmin
02-23-2007, 10:18 AM
yes then i have been there. i remember now cause they used to set up in the kitchen, the 1st time i went i was like WTF? are theese guys for real? but they ended up being damn good shows. do remember black paper diary? somebody on IA used to have that SN? one of my best friends chris started that band with half the kids from cartel, but he ended up going into the air force so they shut black paper dairy down and started cartel. u are right though, thoose were the fuckin days man, 5 buck shows and a bunch of kickass bands. now its costs u 15 bucks to get in the masqurade and they are pussy ass bands.

ya i've heard both bands... i used to book some shows up in g'nett for a while one of the biggest shows was Leechmilk and Social Infestation which are two awesome local bands ;)

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 11:41 AM
ya i've heard both bands... i used to book some shows up in g'nett for a while one of the biggest shows was Leechmilk and Social Infestation which are two awesome local bands ;)
i'll have to check into them, never heard thoose guys.

4dmin
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
i'll have to check into them, never heard thoose guys.

they are more grind/sludge/doom metal

Hulud
02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
did you make the site paul?

***edit*** nvm i just went there

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
they are more grind/sludge/doom metal
i'll check it out and see what their deal is, sucks i cant find no good hardcore bands out now. everybody has gone soft/emo. hail u remember back in the day cavein when they were like 18? they were sick! just like everybody else they have gone soft.

Hulud
02-23-2007, 11:57 AM
i'll check it out and see what their deal is, sucks i cant find no good hardcore bands out now. everybody has gone soft/emo. hail u remember back in the day cavein when they were like 18? they were sick! just like everybody else they have gone soft.
well what kind of hardcore are you lookin for?

more metal, more hardcore what yo

4dmin
02-23-2007, 12:09 PM

everyone has their ideas of hardcore... i think hardcore is: Morning Again, Culture, Earth Crisis, Strife, Broken(down pour), etc They have those distinct sounds

Then you got bands like: Converge, Cavein, Catharsis, Ink & Dagger, Integrity, Day of Suffering, etc They had more of a crust punk/metal edge to them but they were in the same scene.

I love Cavein old and new... personally i really dig the new space rock shit Antenna was a great album.

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
everyone has their ideas of hardcore... i think hardcore is: Morning Again, Culture, Earth Crisis, Strife, Broken(down pour), etc They have those distinct sounds

Then you got bands like: Converge, Cavein, Catharsis, Ink & Dagger, Integrity, Day of Suffering, etc They had more of a crust punk/metal edge to them but they were in the same scene.

I love Cavein old and new... personally i really dig the new space rock shit Antenna was a great album.
well we have basically the same idea of what hardcore is, what was around in the late 90's early 2000's

just examples of what i am looking for...

drowning man
posion the well
18 visions
12 tribes
downpour
nora
shai hulud
chokehold
cavein
i'm sure theres more if i just sat down and thought about it....

i love that stuff but u just dont ever find any new bands that are like that, it pisses me the fuck off

4dmin
02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
well we have basically the same idea of what hardcore is, what was around in the late 90's early 2000's

just examples of what i am looking for...

drowning man
posion the well
18 visions
12 tribes
downpour
nora
shai hulud
chokehold
cavein
i'm sure theres more if i just sat down and thought about it....

i love that stuff but u just dont ever find any new bands that are like that, it pisses me the fuck off

when i was in high school i toured with the guys from Dawn of Orion and Promise No Tomorrow; PNT later did a split LP w/ An Acre Lost who later changed their name to Poison the Well :goodjob:

GOOD TIMES.

CHADbee
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
when i was in high school i toured with the guys from Dawn of Orion and Promise No Tomorrow; PNT later did a split LP w/ An Acre Lost who later changed their name to Poison the Well :goodjob:

GOOD TIMES.
yeah i like what i have heard from dawn of orion. wow i didnt know that about posion the well, never knew they were under another name

an acre lost ever release anything?

4dmin
02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
yeah i like what i have heard from dawn of orion. wow i didnt know that about posion the well, never knew they were under another name

an acre lost ever release anything?

yeah they release a split LP w/ Promise not Tomorrow... which i have at home. it is pretty rare. most of the tracks are on PTW first ep

IanHavok
02-26-2007, 08:49 AM
5 buck shows and a bunch of kickass bands. now its costs u 15 bucks to get in the masqurade and they are pussy ass bands.

QFMFT!

SidewayzS14
02-27-2007, 03:15 PM
god i wish i was older, the scene now sucks all these stupid emo kids and shit. i've been into punk for a while now i was listening to NoFx and shit back when i was 12-13 American Hardcore is also a book i just started reading it and poison the well is one fo ym favorite bands me Thomas from AutoFab go to shows all the time. Lately Gwinnett has a pretty good scene of local shit though my brother's in a band and it seems like the local shit is getting back to where it used to be, i also listened to Cartel before they got popular along with Typhoid Mary, and The Murdered

Hulud
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
American Hardcore is also a book i just started reading it
good book, i used it in a Hardcore Music Paper i did a couple years back

i also listened to Cartel before they got popular along with Typhoid Mary, and The Murdered
meh

SidewayzS14
03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
yeah the book is good and i know Cartel sucks