PDA

View Full Version : Smyrna tint ticket, Ruiner's help needed

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
just got busted by 2 smyrna motorcycle police who apparently sit in the same spot every day (this was only my 2nd time down the rd, and my last i assure u) giving out tickets for seatbelt violations (from what i've been told) and obviously, tint tix. pulled me over pretty much at a stop sign and checked my tint. now when i got my tint done, i had drupason do it and he put on 20%. well when they used their tint checker it came up as 9%, i asked them were they sure cuz that's awfully dark, so the 2nd guy used his and it came up 8%.

3 questions here:

1) is there a special procedure for checking tint? are they supposed to do anything prior to just putting that thing on my window?

2) anyone know how much a tint ticket is?

3) when are they gonna throw out this damn tint law shit again? it's pretty ridiculous the way it keeps getting put in, thrown out, put in...

Leadfoot_mf
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
o rly?

Leadfoot_mf
02-22-2007, 01:25 PM
such is the price of lookin like a baller.

HvyArms
1. No, I dont know.

2. Not sure.

3. They aren't throwing it out. Sidenote: Ya ass is goin to jaaaaaaail

Leadfoot_mf
what is legal tint %

ATK_Designs
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I got the tint ticket the other day in Morrow. Read 24%. Legal is 32% +/- 3% The car wasn't even mine. I was testdriving my friend's car before I bought it

I was told it's going to be $160-$170. Hope yours is cheaper. We got the tint fixed, so I hope the judge drop it.

HvyArms
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
35% is the highest legal percentage.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah, it's 32% but tint's not made in 32% so 35% would be the most common legal tint to have.

CHADbee
02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
i got one last year, thats why i dont have tint on my car anymore. it was a 150 fine but someone at the courthouse told me if i came to the courthouse and the tint was no longer on my car it would be dropped. so i paid 75 bucks to have it removed, went to court, the judge asked if the tint was still on my car, i said no, he had a cop walk me out to my car and when the cop seen the tint was no longer on my car he told me to leave and it was dropped

Ruiner
02-22-2007, 01:45 PM
3 questions here:

1) is there a special procedure for checking tint? are they supposed to do anything prior to just putting that thing on my window?

2) anyone know how much a tint ticket is?

3) when are they gonna throw out this damn tint law shit again? it's pretty ridiculous the way it keeps getting put in, thrown out, put in...

1. Nope. They use their "tint-o-meters" to check.

2. Hell, I forget. It's probably around $150-175 or so.

3. The law will stay. It's for the safety of the police officers.

Below is basically what happened to me back in '02:

i got one last year, thats why i dont have tint on my car anymore. it was a 150 fine but someone at the courthouse told me if i came to the courthouse and the tint was no longer on my car it would be dropped. so i paid 75 bucks to have it removed, went to court, the judge asked if the tint was still on my car, i said no, he had a cop walk me out to my car and when the cop seen the tint was no longer on my car he told me to leave and it was dropped

Just have the tint removed and replaced with 32%. They will drop the ticket.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Just have the tint removed and replaced with 32%. They will drop the ticket.
that's probably what i will have to do, only thing that concerns me is this, which i found on the smyrna traffic court website:

What are my options if I receive a safety equipment violation (lights, window tint, bumper, and muffler)?

Answer: You may by showing that the safety equipment violation has been successfully repaired either pay the citation at the court clerk’s office or at court and the violation will be dismissed with a dismissal fee of $75.00 This may be accomplished by coming to the court clerk’s office and being given an ORDER OF COMPLIANCE then going to the Smyrna Police Department and having an officer check the violation(s)—sign off on the ORDER OF COMPLIANCE and you return the signed ORDER OF COMPLIANCE back to the court clerk’s office.

according to that, they charge u a $75 dismissal fee? or does that not apply if u actually go to court the day of ur hearing?

CHADbee
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
according to that, they charge u a $75 dismissal fee? or does that not apply if u actually go to court the day of ur hearing?
i didnt have any fees

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 02:03 PM
just called and it's $83....time to weigh my options...guess the good news is i have like 2 months before i have to decide

Julio
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I think they are using a new system now to check tint, which I heard it sucks.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
orly? any details at all?

Jecht
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
You sure you didn't get the 20% tint put on over your stock tint? I believe the newer Audi models have tinted windows already.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
almost 100% sure my car didn't come w/stock tint...

ironchef
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
You sure you didn't get the 20% tint put on over your stock tint? I believe the newer Audi models have tinted windows already.They don't, you have the option to get it tinted at the dealership when you first get the car, but stock they aren't tinted.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
heh, i never got that option, oh wells

ironchef
02-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Its a $400 option LOL.

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah figured it wouldn't be cheap so i'm cool with it :D

Leadfoot_mf
02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
u sure that the glass doesn't have a light tint to block uv? not the option but std?

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
:dunno: u can check later if u want

SEAN
02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I got stopped in Athens for tint...$120 ticket...it varies where you live in the ATL...never been hassled for it up in Lawrenceville...still on...

ShooterMcGavin
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
see part of me just wants to pay it and move on, but another part is worried cuz i damn work in smyrna every day and pass them all the time. and there ain't never shit goin on in smyrna so they're always out lookin to bust ppl for speeding, seatbelts and tint.

sirkus
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Go to a dermatologist.. tell him that you think you may have skin cancer. Have him check some moles or something. Then tell him you're scared that you might have it from previous skin cancer in your family. Tell him that you heard about an exemption for window tint. My buddy did that, has 5% on all of his windows. And when the cops pull him over he just hands them the piece of paper with the seal on it. They go back to their car and then come back and hand it to him. It blows their minds, but it works.

Here's a link to the form you have to take to the dermatologist.

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2096,5635600_7400795,00.html

And what ever you do... if you have them tinted too dark, and you get pulled over again. Don't roll down all of your windows before he walks up. :lmfao: They didn't like me for that. I got pulled out of the car at gun point.

badass240
02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
legal tint is 30 percent but can be + or - 3 percent

Jecht
02-23-2007, 06:38 AM
there ain't never shit goin on in smyrna so they're always out lookin to bust ppl for speeding, seatbelts and tint.

The only thing that can keep cops busy around here are all the highschool students that misbehave. A LOT of the Campbell High students skip school so there are always some of them that misbehave around here. I think its kinda funny that the students still manage to get away from the school, I mean the police station is right next to the school's back entrance. The cops are always like "how did you kids get out" - uh... they walked right past you guys. :lmfao:

:blah: Good luck w/ your ticket.

ShooterMcGavin
02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Go to a dermatologist.. tell him that you think you may have skin cancer. Have him check some moles or something. Then tell him you're scared that you might have it from previous skin cancer in your family. Tell him that you heard about an exemption for window tint. My buddy did that, has 5% on all of his windows. And when the cops pull him over he just hands them the piece of paper with the seal on it. They go back to their car and then come back and hand it to him. It blows their minds, but it works.

Here's a link to the form you have to take to the dermatologist.

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2096,5635600_7400795,00.html

And what ever you do... if you have them tinted too dark, and you get pulled over again. Don't roll down all of your windows before he walks up. :lmfao: They didn't like me for that. I got pulled out of the car at gun point.

u know the funny thing is that my mom works at a skin cancer clinic.....now the only problem is i don't think i can get her to hook me up with this :D

ShooterMcGavin
02-23-2007, 08:05 AM
u know what i just read that application and at the bottom it still says u can't have windows tinted darker than 23%, what gives? :thinking: