PDA

View Full Version : General Chat super charger or turbo

berto688
02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
does anybody know whats better turbo set up or jackson supercharger on eg with gsr swap lmk thanks

man
02-21-2007, 12:05 AM
turbo

drmcivicsi
02-21-2007, 02:36 AM
turbo

Elbow
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM
what do you want to do with the car? what performance goals do you have? daily driver?

santacruz77
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
i like superchargers more but turbo will bring bigger power

Tatiana
02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
yeah, most people will come on here and just say "turbo" without asking for any facts about how you will use the car. Now this Simon cat I like. For a daily driver, I'd say supercharger just cuz you probably won't use too much of a turbocharger's top-end power on local streets...or even on the highway much to be honest. If you have to have a turbo though, go with a smaller one so you'll have to wait less time for the thing to spool up.

turbo lag (waiting for a turbo to spool up...i think...right? lol) is the reason i would prefer a supercharger for my daily driver. a supercharger starts pushing extra air immediately cuz it depends on the engine's own rpms to spool up. so...instant boost out of the red light or when coming around a cone (in an autocross). if you wanna road race or 1/4 mile drag race, hit up a turbo cuz it makes more power than a supercharger at the top end (which is where you'll need it during a long straight or the last 1/8 of a 1/4 mile drag).

So...it's not a matter of which one is better. it's a matter of what you're going to be using your car for.

Fr33way
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
"Better" is such a subjective term.

VooDooXII
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Twin-charge that ho!

man
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah, most people will come on here and just say "turbo" without asking for any facts about how you will use the car. Now this Simon cat I like. For a daily driver, I'd say supercharger just cuz you probably won't use too much of a turbocharger's top-end power on local streets...or even on the highway much to be honest. If you have to have a turbo though, go with a smaller one so you'll have to wait less time for the thing to spool up.

turbo lag (waiting for a turbo to spool up...i think...right? lol) is the reason i would prefer a supercharger for my daily driver. a supercharger starts pushing extra air immediately cuz it depends on the engine's own rpms to spool up. so...instant boost out of the red light or when coming around a cone (in an autocross). if you wanna road race or 1/4 mile drag race, hit up a turbo cuz it makes more power than a supercharger at the top end (which is where you'll need it during a long straight or the last 1/8 of a 1/4 mile drag).

So...it's not a matter of which one is better. it's a matter of what you're going to be using your car for.

5-10 years ago I would have agreed with you completely. Today however, there is a huge amount of ball-bearing turbos that are almost absent of any lag. A supercharger would be great if he was building a car for, say, auto-x. But on a street car I would definitely say turbo. You can use it when you want that extra power by flooring the throttle, or barely push it and get decent gas mileage.

berto688
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
thanks for the advice guys. i going to go turbo for my gsr hatch, now just wondering what turbo manifold to get? theres a lot out there but i dont want to get one that will crack and advice on that. thanks for the help

efman
02-21-2007, 09:56 PM
good look a force fed gsr is a mean thing ! :goodjob:

Frög
03-08-2007, 11:13 AM
wrong section.

Turbodude06
03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't think thats a proven fact that a turbo makes more power then a supercharger...

oasis0124
03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
turbo without a doubt