PDA

View Full Version : Racing harness???

myyellowspec
02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
This is probably a stupid question. My seatbelt mechanism broke and i was just going to get a "racing" harness. My main questions are: whats the advantage of a 5 point over a 4 point, does it matter what brand i get, and if so whats the best brand for the price, and whats the skill level needed to install it.

an0therh22
02-20-2007, 09:06 PM
um dude. racing harness are not DOT approved which means its only for strip, and its a hell of a hassle to put on everytime u go places.

yudalicious
02-21-2007, 12:07 AM
This is probably a stupid question. My seatbelt mechanism broke and i was just going to get a "racing" harness. My main questions are: whats the advantage of a 5 point over a 4 point, does it matter what brand i get, and if so whats the best brand for the price, and whats the skill level needed to install it.

5 point has a belt that goes under your crotch that prevents submarining in the event of a crash. where are you going to attach the harness to? duct tape it to something? fix your seat belt, have fun.

Krazykouki
02-21-2007, 02:23 AM
um dude. racing harness are not DOT approved which means its only for strip, and its a hell of a hassle to put on everytime u go places.

hate to tell you but cops really dont give 2 shits about it.

Sparco 4 point harness's seem to work best to me, you can get them with the quick release mechanism just as a normal seatbelt except its a 4 point harness. I used my factory seat belt mounting points.

David88vert
02-21-2007, 06:20 AM
I ran an FIA approved harness in my old RX7. I've use Simpson, Sabelt, etc. I did not like my Sinmpon, mostly because of the latch. PITA. I did like my Sabelt, it was a camlock. Make certain you get a real harness (3", certified, etc). I suggest getting a camlock.

Personally, in your case, I would just get my sealtbelt fixed. Isn't there a law that the manufacturer has to replace it if it breaks? You should double-check that.

Elbow
02-21-2007, 08:21 AM
If you don't have any form of rollover protection it is dangerous for daily driving. The REAL way to mount a harness is to wrap it around a bar/cage. Some you see that are bolt in can bolt into the back seat holes. Camlock is best.

Those Ebay ones and NOPI ones work, but I would not daily drive with one. I had them and used them for autocross.

Ran
02-21-2007, 08:38 AM
1) No rollbar, no harness. In the event of a possible rollover, you will held sitting up with a roof smashing in on your head. With a factory seatbelt, your body have some degree of movement which can be safer.

2) A 4-point harness is what we like to call a "tuner" harness because they're not good for daily driving or for driving events. They are worthless aside from car shows.

Certified race harnesses have that fifth sub-strap there for reason. When buckling the harness, the sub-strap is there to prevent the lapbelts from rising up over your stomach. The lapbelts are designed to sit over your lap and hips, not your stomach. Should the harness rise up over your stomach due to a lack of a sub-strap and you get into an accident, the harness will be restraining you against your vital organs. This can lead to a serious injury.

3) Measuring, bolting, and fitting a complete 5-point harness should take you no longer than an hour depending on if you need to drill new mounting holes or not. If so, also look into purchasing a backing plate for the mounting point.

I can sell you a G-Force Racing Gear SFI/FIA certified harness for a good price if you really want, but I do not condone using these on the street.

jmmx258
02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
haha, i'll sell ya a mugen harness that i just took out and replaced with my stock seat belt!! haha..its a 4pt, waste of time belt that kept comming apart anyways. You cant check your blind spots either. Unless your an owl.

O shit...i guess i'm not going to sell it now haha...

Elbow
02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
yeah broadway mirrors and harnesses work well together lol ;)

jmmx258
02-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Not sure what you mean by broadway mirrors, but I Hate these fuckin mirror's I got so much!! I took them off and atleast tried to make them tight. Passenger one still keeps falling!

The only one that half assed works is the drivers one. They sit to high the windshield pillar is in the way to see the passenger one even if it is where it needs to be!

Elbow
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Broadway mirrors, wink mirrors, etc the long rear view mirrors that take place of your stock one so you dont have blind spots.

jmmx258
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Towing mirrors? Lol

speedminded
02-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Towing mirrors? Loltowing mirrors are on the sideview mirrows...what good would a bigger rearview mirror be when you have a trailer on your ass? :tongue:

yudalicious
02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
If you don't have any form of rollover protection it is dangerous for daily driving. The REAL way to mount a harness is to wrap it around a bar/cage. Some you see that are bolt in can bolt into the back seat holes.
ding ding ding - I'd be careful using even some of the "bolt in" harneses that use stock seat belt locations, too much of an angle after your shoulders = spinal compression in the event of an impact. In other words... fix your stock belt. I've heard of the manufacturer fixing the seatbelt thing too, don't think it holds any water though.

jmmx258
02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
towing mirrors are on the sideview mirrows...what good would a bigger rearview mirror be when you have a trailer on your ass? :tongue:

Brain fart! lol I coulda swore he meant side mirrors lol. My bad