PDA

View Full Version : Little problem with selling a car...

sirkus
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I put my mustang on autotrader to see if I could maybe sell it and just get rid of the loan. So I shot for what I owed on the loan...
Well, someone called me last night asking about it. They live in Alabama above Birmingham. They told me that they were going to ride out here Tuesday to take a look at it, most likely be driving it home. Well... about an hour after I get off the phone I have someone else call me. They're 30miles closer than the last guy. Still in Alabama. He said that he's going to ride out here tomorrow and will be driving it back home. I told him about the other person coming to look at it and he offered me a little more. So I told him that it was first come first serve so if he can get here before them, it's his.
How do I go about doing this? What if I sell it while those other people are on their way out here? I don't want to call them before they even get here and tell them to turn around... I'm confused. :thinking:

Evil Goat
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
kind of a dirtbag thing to do if you ask me....call the 1st person and let them know youve had a better offer and the guys coming earlier than them and just let him know its a first come first serve thing now

imo you should stick to the first agreement and let the 2nd person know they were a minute too late and you will let them know if the original deal goes south, but thats just me

sirkus
02-19-2007, 11:37 AM
kind of a dirtbag thing to do if you ask me....call the 1st person and let them know youve had a better offer and the guys coming earlier than them and just let him know its a first come first serve thing now

imo you should stick to the first agreement and let the 2nd person know they were a minute too late and you will let them know if the original deal goes south, but thats just me

I'm gonna call the 2nd guy and tell him to wait until wednesday.

uproot
02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
yeah if you've already made plans with the 1st person, then they were technically 1st to come

iloveboost
02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
First person to bring me money takes it home.

I would NOT call the 2nd person and cancel just because there are a lot of flakey buyers out there. You'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. If a person is serious about buying, they will send you a deposit or at the very least make it up there before the other person.

Worst case scenario for you: 1st person comes to look at it and says he'll think about it and the 2nd person finds another car. This is why I always say, "First come, first served." I won't turn anyone away if they're ready and willing to buy.

I've got something to sell and whoever's got cash and ready to buy is first priority.

uproot
02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
^ makes a good point.

sirkus
02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Guy didn't sound too happy, but he understood that it's a long ass drive for me to call them before they get here to say "It's been sold". I can't believe how many people that are calling me. I have had 3 calls from Florida. 90% of them are from Alabama though. Said it's hard to find 94 and 95 GT's out there...

sirkus
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
First person to bring me money takes it home.

I would NOT call the 2nd person and cancel just because there are a lot of flakey buyers out there. You'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. If a person is serious about buying, they will send you a deposit or at the very least make it up there before the other person.

Worst case scenario for you: 1st person comes to look at it and says he'll think about it and the 2nd person finds another car. This is why I always say, "First come, first served." I won't turn anyone away if they're ready and willing to buy.

I've got something to sell and whoever's got cash and ready to buy is first priority.

Yeah, that's a damn good point. But then again.. I'd be really pissed if I drove 3 hours for nothing.

uproot
02-19-2007, 11:50 AM
well, are they already driving now?

just tell them not to come unless they're offering more or something

civic95
02-19-2007, 12:02 PM
What if the 1st guy never shows up? What if they both don't show up. I would call the first guy back and tell him to call you before he leaves to make sure you still have it. If he is leaving before the 2nd guy that called looks at it, then I would advise him he may want to wait a couple hrs later, then call you to make sure you still have it.

I never tell someone to wait another day.

1: because people will tell you they are on the way, and never show up.

2: the 1st guy might decide to look at another car tomorrow since you're not avail till weds now, and end up buying something tomorrow.

Either way, they would be dumb to drive out there based a conversation a day earlier. I would call before I left to make sure it didn't sell. I've even been screwed that way before. I called a guy, got directions, immediately left. Took about 2 hrs to get to his house. Then I called him cause I got lost in his neighborhood, and he tells me he already sold it. In 2 damn hrs I was so pissed he didn't tell me he had someone else coming to look at it. Had I known that I would of asked him to call me if they didn't buy it before wasting 4 hrs of driving.

sirkus
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
well, are they already driving now?

just tell them not to come unless they're offering more or something

They're coming Tuesday.. I told the other guy to come Wednesday. They have to leave really early and I have to be at work at 3:00pm. So I can't do the whole, "I'll call you if it doesn't go through" I don't have enough time to wait on 2 people to drive from Alabama. I'll just call that guy back tomorrow if it doesn't sell and tell him it's his as soon as he can get here.

I'm in no real big rush to sell it or anything.. I'd just like to not get lowballed.

RandomGuy
02-19-2007, 05:55 PM
lol if u sell it just dont pick up the calls from the other person... then when he gets back be like dude wtf why didnt you call...

problem solved

then if he's like i'm coming back ... be like nah i dont wanna sell it to you no more ... you made me miss work that day

walaaa

Sack Attack
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
i would let them all show up at the same time and fight for the car......you could auction it off

Blitanicle99
02-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Let them all come in the same day. Hell let them come at the same time. Then they can fight for it. I had 4 people look at my 4runner in one day. And all four of them came in a one hour period.

Hektik
02-20-2007, 12:16 AM
definately should NOT turn them around or give them another day... shit call in if u have to. tell tehm to show up at the same time and take the highest offer...problem solved...

sirkus
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Sweet! The first guy come this morning... saw it and just said "Hell.. count this." I said.. "This is 300 more than what I'm asking.." "Yeah, keep it, these cars are hard to come by." We sat and bs'd for a min or 2 and then he just left with the stang. Sad to see it go..

And yeah, I come inside to make sure the bills were real when I come and got the title. :)