PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter...

Killer
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
can anyone walk me through swapping a fuel filter???? my car won't start... gonna try a couple of things i wan tot start with that... it sounds like it's not getting gas, but i do here the fuel pump...

jmmx258
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Check your spark first. Cheapest thing to check! loll. Turn your key on, make sure your fuel pump is even pumping. I'm assuming you have a honda by your sig. Could be that the relay took a shit. When that happened on my EF Hatch, I lost the spark, and fuel.

Good Luck!

Evil Goat
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
remove the flange bolt out of the top of the filter and same w/ the bottom, remove and replace filter, use new washer on fittings when putting them back on, its that simple, should be on the left side of your firewall near the battery if its the eg youre talking about

like junior said though, check spark first, if you can hear the fuel pump coming on thast the first thing to listen for, pull your spark plug wire, have someone turn the car over while you arc it on a screwdriver

scttydb411
02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
fuel, spark, compression and no cel is what you should check.

if you can verify you have fuel at the rail and pump is priming, spark when you pull the plug wires while trying to crank, then do a comp test. this is assuming you have no cel.

Killer
02-20-2007, 12:05 PM
well, the car finally cranked yesterday about mid day.. i still replaced the fuel filter.. and i'm replaceing the spark plugs regaurdless as well. i had a set so i figure why not...

BUT the car is now smoking like crazy.. i did add some octane boost and fuel system cleaner... does that cause it to smoke??? i only had like have a tank of mid grade when i added this stuff.... so this morning i put reg gas in it to try to even it out.. but it smoked like crazy on the way to work.. the car was smoking some previously but not this much.

jmmx258
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Rings, Valve Seals, Warped head, Head gasket? I had a blown head gasket, and my car wouldnt start for a while, i pushed it down a hill to get it running, when it finally ran it looked like it was on fire from the smoke.

Killer
02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
again.. it's burning oil as is.... i knew that... so probably the rings... but it could be head gasket too... i'm getting a swap soon... it just never smoked this bad until i had the starting problem... it cranks fine now...

jmmx258
02-20-2007, 01:49 PM
again.. it's burning oil as is.... i knew that... so probably the rings... but it could be head gasket too... i'm getting a swap soon... it just never smoked this bad until i had the starting problem... it cranks fine now...

Oh I understand its burning oil. I was just giving some suggestions from dealings I'vd had to deal with in the past.