PDA

View Full Version : Misc i need some help with guitars

OneSlow5pt0
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
im bout to start learning to play and ive been looking around for guitar...im tryin to find a good beginner guitar,ive been looking at epiphone SGs,im looking to spend bout $300 on a guitar...what yall think,for a good beginner guitar?

vstolayrov
02-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I know that ephiphone special II is $150 or $200 for package deal at guitar center, but it has label on the back saying its made in china. it feels nice and sound ok for begginer i guess, you can also say you don't like the amp in the package and they can throw in a marshall 10watt amp for you which got overdrive,

I would invest a little more and get $200 rg120 ibanez, its much better quality and finish than ephiphone.

if you really like to get high quality electric, ibanez s series is very nice.

im playing alvarez 5059 acoustic right now.

green91
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
i really think the best guitar to start with is a mim (made in mexico) fender stratocaster. its used in many genres from country to blues to hard rock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

plugsnet
02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Whats wrong with a ebay guitar for 40 bucks... i say get something hella cheap to practice different chords and get comfortable with the guitar before you go spending 400... you may want to try a different instrament.. or may just not like it...

green91
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM
i couldnt disagree with you more. cheapo guitars (even a squier or rogue or whatever) dont even hold intonation between frets. coupled with crappy electronics, assembly, and woods make for a bad experience. no need to start off with a thousand dollar guitar, but atleast buy something that will stay in tune when you play it. trust me, i know. i had a $90 guitar as my first and it was holding me back within a months time of practice.

OneSlow5pt0
02-18-2007, 09:43 PM
fender to much for me right now....i like the SG cause its real lite and smaller...is Dean's stuff good?im gonna looking in to that ibanez...

TRDwasiq
02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
i played acoustic for three years after that i start playin electric so i would say stick with acoustic until u get better and if u need a guitar i got one pm me

Ericp
02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Check in the garage sell section. There is a guy selling a nice epiphone guitar for 300. I want to buy it but I'm on a budget right now

Daccord93
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM
i couldnt disagree with you more. cheapo guitars (even a squier or rogue or whatever) dont even hold intonation between frets. coupled with crappy electronics, assembly, and woods make for a bad experience. no need to start off with a thousand dollar guitar, but atleast buy something that will stay in tune when you play it. trust me, i know. i had a $90 guitar as my first and it was holding me back within a months time of practice.
I own 2 Squire basses and they hold thier tone just fine, granted I put EMG Actives in the p-bass and have them planned for the jazz bass. I say it depends on the style you want to play. The Epiphone package deals are really good, and you can always upgrade those guitars down the road.

OneSlow5pt0
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
im looking for something to play,like Nirvana,AFI,White Zombie,Queen,kinda good bit of alot of rock/

Daccord93
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Then ya, I would go with an epiphone package deal. They use the best all around guitars out there.

OneSlow5pt0
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Then ya, I would go with an epiphone package deal. They use the best all around guitars out there.

alright thanks

Daccord93
02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
no problem. Good luck!

81911SC
02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
check with killer he should know

TRDwasiq
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
im looking for something to play,like Nirvana,AFI,White Zombie,Queen,kinda good bit of alot of rock/
i though u just started playin guitar??? i am not sayin u can'nt play or anything it just nirvana AFI it will take some time

slideordie86
02-19-2007, 12:52 AM
it really depends one what style of music you wanna play

blues= squir or fender(made by same ppl)
punk or metal or hard rock= epiphone or gibson(same ppl) ibanez or esp or jackson

ive been playing for about 4 1/2 years now so yea

and a good beginner amp would probablly be a Roland Cube, sounds good, has alot of different effects and its not that much its like 200 for a 30wat so yea man if you have anymore ?'s just ask

TRDwasiq
02-19-2007, 01:04 AM
just so i am on this thread i need a bass player or a drumer in gwinnett:)

slideordie86
02-19-2007, 01:06 AM
i though u just started playin guitar??? i am not sayin u can'nt play or anything it just nirvana AFI it will take some time

what are you talking about nirvana is easy as crap

TRDwasiq
02-19-2007, 01:46 AM
i am sorry sir i was talkin to a biginner:) but easy to me

green91
02-19-2007, 07:32 AM
i own a squier guitar and it isnt worth the shit. but i also own alot of high end equipment, ibanez bass and s-series guitar, prs custom 22, fender jag, strat etc. there is a difference in quality and playability.

TheGrillMan
02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
your best bet is to buy a starter kit cause you will suck for a good while and 9 out of 10 people don;t stay with it buy the cheap shit and when you deside you gonna stick with it look into better equipment

i mean i played for 3 years before selling my POS strat

Leadfoot_mf
02-19-2007, 11:19 PM
spend the money and buy a good guitar. if u buy crap you will not play it. it will sound shitty and not stay in tune and be hard to play.

Random311
02-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Start on either an acoustic or even better....a classical. You'll get your fingerings down and once you make the jump to electric, you'll be a lot faster.

XanRules
02-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Epiphones are quite nice for the money - a lot of people are saying things like "Epiphone is the new Gibson" because Epis are consistently as good - or better - in quality than Gibsons, because Gibson's quality control has gone to shit, and Gibsons are too fucking expensive.
So go for the Epi.

TRDwasiq
02-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Start on either an acoustic or even better....a classical. You'll get your fingerings down and once you make the jump to electric, you'll be a lot faster.

thats wht i am sayin starting on electric wont be a good idea

green91
02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
i started on electric no problems??

ARH1192
02-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I bought a mint mexican strat for $75 from a guy in town.. so I'd have to say ur best bet is buying a used guitar then taking it to a local guitar shop and have it tuned up for ya.

since I got mine pretty damn cheap so I spent a few extra bucks and threw in some texas specials so it sounds pretty damn good now.

MIKE.P
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
i have a jimmy vaugne signiture series Fender strat...and a line 6 amp w/ 2 12" speakers..i would be will to let go for around what you are asking to spend...pm me

shavedcivic
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
start with an acoustic then once you can start playing, and you feel comfortable switch to an electric acoustic, then go to an electric or classical.

TRDwasiq
02-20-2007, 02:08 PM
i started on electric no problems??

Can u play acoustic?? as good as electric just curious

devinwebb907
02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
upgrade from epiphone. get a good condition used guitar...nothing too nice incase you give up and quit playing. maybe a used fender stratocaster? or try to borrow a guitar from a friend for a month or so and see how you like it. id say more people quit playing guitar than people that keep with it, borrow your first guitar.....

maybe get a cheap used accoustic? i got two broken ones for $100 and fixed them for another 50 and a little TLC.

TRDwasiq
02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
nice

Lucky DAWG
02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
start with an acoustic then once you can start playing, and you feel comfortable switch to an electric acoustic, then go to an electric or classical.

on acoustic and classical you will learn to play a lot more techincal things then playing mostly power chords on an eletric for heavy rock.

whoever said get a good one first must be out of their minds. get a crappy strat first and learn how to play that if you insist on starting on eletric. the majority of people have some kind of dreamlike imagination that they are going to be a rockstar until they decide that it takes a ton of work to get good at.

honestly you will not be able to tell the difference at all if you are a beginner playing on a bad guitar. Until you get a better ear for the music then it will start to bug you, and when you're done with the strat you can sell it to another noob and not lose too much money.

if you buy a nice guitar and decide you don't like it, you're going to marginally lose a lot more money and be shit out of luck

good luck

DrivenMind
02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Get an acoustic. They're harder to play, but they force you to use correct playing technique, and don't allow you to mask your playing errors behind overdrive. So when you make the transition to electric playing will be a walk in the park.

I started playing on an electric, when I was 9, but my dad would never allow me to turn on overdrive, to ensure I was playing correctly. After 9 years of practicing everyday on an electric, I got my acoustic. I absolutely love the thing, and love the flexibility it offers. Plus shallow, materialistic bitches, really want your dick when your able to play and sing simultaneously, which believe me, can be a challenge in itself.

Don't expect it to be easy, but with practice you'll have an awesome, relaxing, creative outlet.

DrivenMind
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
the majority of people have some kind of dreamlike imagination that they are going to be a rockstar until they decide that it takes a ton of work to get good at.

good luck

spoken like a true guitarist.

Lucky DAWG
02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
spoken like a true guitarist.

thanks

+1 to you :goodjob:

bluuuurr
05-15-2007, 12:20 AM
it really depends one what style of music you wanna play

blues= squir or fender(made by same ppl)
punk or metal or hard rock= epiphone or gibson(same ppl) ibanez or esp or jackson

ive been playing for about 4 1/2 years now so yea

that's the worst shit I've ever heard. play guitars until you find one your comfortable with. there is no brand of guitar that will improve your ability to play specific genres of music.

mrt0mjones
05-15-2007, 02:47 AM
wow. this is a odd one.

Basically, if your serious about wanting to do it, get something that wont sound like crap in the first place, alot of beginner musicians get some wal-mart stuff that doesnt give them the encouragement to play.

Btw, TRDwasiq, what kinda music you looking for, for a bassist, i play but i'm looking for something challenging?

acoustic will build your clarity (your silly whoever said you cant hide behind an acoustic, the slight chrous effect is almost just as bad as distortion if you have a deeper acoustic)

get what you want to start with and enjoy, use other styles to further yourself.

Epiphones play pretty good for what they are.

tattoodlude
05-15-2007, 03:40 AM
I bought my first guitar at the flea market for $250 bucks and I still play it every now and then, my father and I collect guitars we have around 60-65 between the two of us and my first is my favorite.

My first was a 1966 fender mustang lake placid blue with sea foam green racing stripes you can always look in the pawn shops and flea market (lakewood) and find good deals

mrt0mjones
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
i'm selling an AES420 if your still looking.

Killer
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
buy an acoustic first... learn how to play.. then get an electric...

acoustics are harder to play, so the transition will be easier for you to move to an electric.

XanRules
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Play bass.

Also, FYI:
www.rondomusic.net sells great beginner stuff. Grab an instrument, a used amp, and pay for a professional setup/etc.

That place is one of the best-kept secrets out there.