PDA

View Full Version : 98 civic CEL codes/resetting/checking

Schugg
02-18-2007, 08:42 AM
just need to know what needs to be done to reset the check engine light in a 98 civic? i disconnected the battery for a minute, then i need to know how to check the CEL codes it has, if its the same has a 95 civic with sticking the paper clip in the 2 prong harness i know how to do that, then i need a website that will tell me what the codes are im getting.

twinj
02-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I thought unpluging the battery does it. The only time it doesnt is if you didn't fix the problem. You could try going to autozone i know they have dianostics(SP) reader see if they can.

scttydb411
02-18-2007, 09:37 AM
the clip is the same. when you disconnect the batt or ecu it'll clear the codes, but if you didn't fix them they'll come back.

you can also go to autozone and they'll scan them for free.

Schugg
02-18-2007, 10:16 AM
i got it already, im having the code 14 which is the idle control valve. i put a new motor in the car and the new motor came froma 5spd, so i had to change the tranny and wiring harness. but when i got the wiring harness all hooked up everything hooked up fine but the idle contol valve, the old intake manifold had all the sensors on the throttle body, and this one has one of them on the back of the manifold, and its only a 2 wire circle clip, and the old one was a 3 wire rectangle/oval shape clip. i took the clip from the old harness and wired it into the same colored wires leaving the orange one out. it was running fine, any way i can get it to not put out a cel code?

Schugg
02-18-2007, 12:38 PM
ok, looked into just changing the throttle and leaving the extra sensor in the back but i dont see that working, only thing i can think of is to change the whole manifold, assuming i can find where i threw the old clip. but thats ALOT of extra work just to get a CEL light off on a perfectly fine running car. any ideas, please let me know what else i might be able to do!

scttydb411
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
are you using the ecu for the engine w/ the 2 wire iacv or your old ecu for the 3 wire iacv. it's not as simple as connecting the same color wires. one of the 3 wires isn't used (obviously) and then one of the wires needs to be moved in the ecu harness. it depends on which obd2 you have. a or b? if you use the 3 wire ecu you need to use the 3 wire iacv and 2 wire ecu with the 2 wire iacv.

what is the exact engine/chassis/ecu combo now?

Schugg
02-19-2007, 10:29 PM
the other ecu was a 5spd, and one of the sections for a connector didnt have any receivers like the other one did. i went ahead and changed the whole manifold and im still getting the code. so now its the original IM, throttle body and ICV, and back with the original clip. and im still getting the code, at first i had 2 wires in the wrong section of the clip (im assuming cause it would rev past 2rpms), so i switched 2 and it rev'd fine but still get the code. anyone know where i can get a diagram of what wires go to what section of the clip?

hmm. i dont know why i havent came to the conclushed that MAYBE i need a new ICV. if anyone has a throttle body for sale let me know!

scttydb411
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
having a hard time decifering what your setup was and what it is now.

did you have a y8 auto motor w/ y8 auto before?

are you y8 5 speed motor w/ y8 auto ecu now with the y8 auto throttle body?

list your setup like this so i know exactly what your combination of engine, ecu, throttlebody, iacv is now.

when you said you changed the harness do you mean you changed out the entire engine to ecu harness, or just the portion of the harness that was the 3 wire plug?