PDA

View Full Version : 280zx gauges

XanRules
02-17-2007, 03:51 PM
So I'm saving up for a used 1983 Datsun 280zx - but I'd really like some new gauges in it. I've heard Autometer recommended, but I don't know what size the stock gauges are or how to replace them easily.

Also -- does anyone know their wheel lug pattern?

Thanks,
Xan

Z U L8R
02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
autometer is only recommended because they're fairly priced and easy to get as far as the sizes it all depends how you want to mount everything. don't rush into guages until you've acquired the car. the lug pattern is the same as a 240sx, lemme say 4x4.114 as a good guess, but it is the same as a 240sx. what are your plans for the car?

XanRules
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the lug pattern, but I do need to know how large the gauges are.

The exterior is fine, it was just refinished in gloss black with a gunmetal grey racing stripe down the middle.
It has brand new shocks and struts, has a new Flowmaster exhaust, etc etc.

Now, of course, the problem is the interior.
The seats are filthy and stained, one of the door panels is missing, the overhead lamp cover is missing, everything is covered in dust, crumbs, etc, not all of the speakers are mounted. I just want to replace a lot of the things to make it look good, because I'm sick of driving my dad's subaru. Not like there's anything wrong with subarus, because I love them. But I need a car of my own.

XanRules
02-18-2007, 10:52 AM
oh, and I'll be paying 2100 for it. Sound like a fair deal? The guy wanted 3k for it, but I talked him down and had him take out some of the sound system.

Z U L8R
02-18-2007, 11:40 AM
it depends how you mount the guages. in my 78 280z, just lets talk about the tach, i can use an almost 4inch tach if i have it sitting far back by using the stock black cylinder funnel looking thingy that sits the stock guage farther back or i can run a 5inch tach and still slide it in the tach hole in the dash but it'll sit flush with the dash instead of recessed back in there.

XanRules
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
http://67.15.66.118/south_pics/JN1HZ04S7CX447718/DCP_0776.JPG

it's a turbo model, so I'm also looking for those kinds of gauges.
But it depends on how they're mounted? Alright, thanks.
I'm a noob. :thinking:

Z U L8R
02-18-2007, 05:05 PM
you see, even your three middle guages have the plastic cylinder that recesses the guage farther back, if you want your guage recessed then you'd find a way to make that work, if you removed the plastic cylinder then your guage would be more flush to your dash and you'd configure another way of doing it. that's why i couldn't be like "BOOM this is the way you mount an aftermarket guage into your Z....blah blah blah" because everyone likes it the way they like it, and no matter how you do it, there's a couple ways you can do it. LOL :yes:

i'm not sure of the little sizes but the typical autometer boost guage you see at any parts store is the right size, the easiest way is usually taking out the head unit and air conditioning control head then reaching in and up. on my center 3 guages there's a piece of metal strip that wedges in at the top then has 2 phillips head screws that hold it at the bottom, just take the 2 screws out and flip the metal strip up and the guage should pop out. then just unplug the old one and figure out the best way to mount your new one in there. some people use epoxy, some people customize the metal strip some people make their own bracket, it's really just whatever works for u. when in doubt just match up as close as you can your new guage to the old guage.

XanRules
02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
very cool. Thanks.

Ran
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I used 4 1/4 Autometer guages with my Z.

- Basically, remove the stock three guages after pulling out the dash. Time consuming, but not hard.

- Behind each guage, is a black aluminum bracket that hold the guage snug with the dash face. Remove those, but keep them.

- With each Autometer guage, you get a small bracket and screws. tighten these down again the back of the dash to keep the guage from falling out the front.

- Once you get your wiring in, you can put the stock black bracket back on the dash. These are the ones you removed earlier. You'll notice that there is about 1/2 an inch of free space between the back of the Autometer guage and the bracket. I just folded up some cardboard and stuffed it in there before tightening down the bracket. Worked great. :goodjob:

I hope this helps some. :cheers:

Glides
02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
The lug pattern is 4x114.3. As for Gauges, the Autometers are the ones everyone goes with simply because they fit where you need them to go. Unfortunately the dash in my car was gone and my buddy made one but it still uses the same size gauges that everyone else uses.
Kind of a crap photo but.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Sixgunsports/DSCF0763.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Sixgunsports/DSCF0747.jpg

I wish I had the original dash back but it's way gone now.

As for Wheels, I got a set of 16x7 Panasports in gunmetal for sale, almost brand new for $600 no tires if you are interested.

Ran
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Custom dash and no tach? :thinking:

XanRules
02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys - now all I need are some seats, a shop-vac, and $2100!

XanRules
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
oh, and are these mechanical or electrical gauges?

Ran
02-19-2007, 01:25 PM
The ones in my 1972 280Z were electric.

Glides
02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Custom dash and no tach? :thinking:

He built the dash for the tach to sit on top. I pulled it off the top and just haven't gotten around to drilling a hole and putting it in the dash yet. I can tell about where i am in revs with my RB anyway so it really hasn't been the number one thing on my mind.

XanRules
02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Ahh, I can't find 4 1/4 gauges on Autometer's website! noooooo...

oh well, I'll figure it out.
Thanks to both of you guys.

Ran
02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Hmm...my gauge size may be off. That does seem big doesn't it? Maybe I was thinking about my TRD tach...anywho, I'll double check and get back to you on that.

Maybe they were 3 3/4 or something. :thinking:

Z U L8R
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
nate you still drivin your Z?

Ran
02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
No. I haven't had that thing for a while now.