PDA

View Full Version : starting problem....

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
i need some quick answers....

i woke up this morning and went to start my car.. and it won't start...

it starts to turn, the lights will come on.. my head unit turns on.. so the car is getting power...

just incase i even had my room mate try to jump my car... with cables... we also tried the "push it down a hill" method.... nothing worked car wouldn't start...

we think it may be bad fuel.. or frozen fuel lines...

i sounded like it wasn't getting any gas... but what was weird was it would turn over like 3-4 times (but not start) then next time u tried it wouldn't do a thing.. i'd let it sit.. and it would turn 3-4 more times...... and once we hooked the cables up it would turn every time(but still not start)....

so is this a dead cell, alternator, or bad fuel...

any help would be great... i've got a snow boarding trip this weekend and i've got to make it to north ga tonight!

§treet_§peed
02-16-2007, 09:16 AM
damn bro sorry to hear

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
thanks...

Doppelgänger
02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
check your fuses that control ignition and fuel???

§treet_§peed
02-16-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah that... could be your fuel pump?? or maybe jsut a bad connection some where?

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 09:22 AM
sounds like it could be alot of things, probably bad fuel.
when you put teh key and start to turn, do you hear the fuel pump clicking?
if so, it may not be a fuel problem, could be ignition wires...again it could be a few things....let me kno, cause i fixed a few cars with problems like this and it was different things everytime

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
also, could be a spark problem, take the second spark plug and the last spark plug, poull them out, have someone sit in the car and try to start, if you see sparks dancin, then its not a spark problem, if yiou dont, then a ground wire may have come loose

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:29 AM
i'm at work now is the thing.. and my car is at home :(

it was running fine yesterday, and i put ten bucks in at the shell station... i'm betting it's bad fuel... cause it kinda "bogged down" last night when i tried cranking it... i just figured it was because it's cold outside.

and i can't tell if i hear it running or not.. i'm not car noise literate...

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
also, could be a spark problem, take the second spark plug and the last spark plug, poull them out, have someone sit in the car and try to start, if you see sparks dancin, then its not a spark problem, if yiou dont, then a ground wire may have come loose

i'll try that.. thanks...

any body in marietta want to come help me look at this around 4:30-5:00? i gotta beer with ur name on it if so! lol.

§treet_§peed
02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
lol it's all good but hopefully you'll be able to fix it

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
ahhh okay...well you can always buy some octane boost, might clean out the bad fuel, bogg down could be from teh pcv valve too, again it can be a few things...

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
i'll try that.. thanks...

any body in marietta want to come help me look at this around 4:30-5:00? i gotta beer with ur name on it if so! lol.

hahah, if i was there id help ya out homie

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:35 AM
i've got a fuel system cleaner i need to put in it.. but i haven't for some reason...

my boss also mentioned there is a fuel additive that absorbs the water and will allow it to burn.. anyone know what that is?

chava_rx7
02-16-2007, 09:44 AM
first it cant be bad fuel the car would atleast start, and run like crap if its bad fule. the thing if it turns over it cant be your starter so rule that out the nex thing you go 2 is spark r u getting any spark? make a quick dummy plug with any spark plug that u have laying oround that will fit into your spark plug boot and some wire ( so you dont get shoked) wrap the wire oround the theded part of the spark plug make sure you are getting metal to metal contact between your wire and plug then ground your other end of your wire to a good ground and put your spark plug in tha sparkplug boot from the spark plug that u want to check and turn over the car look at the tip of the plug while you turn over the car for a spark if u see nothing than thers your problem if you see that its firing move on to fuel. Are ur fuel injectors firing? if you have a test light this shuld be esy to test just disconnect an injector and hook up the test light to BOTH of the connectors inside the injector connector and turn over the car to see if it lights up if its working you should get a steddy blinking light while you are cranking. if id doesent ligh up than thats your problem. but this is esier to check if you have a digital multimeter and you just hook up both leads to the connector of the fule injector and check that you get 12 volts while you are cranking if they are firing check that your fule pump is workin and you are actually getting fule just get somebody to find the fule pump and listen when you turn the key to see if it comes on than if this is not the problem check all of your fusses to see that none are blown both under the hood and under the dash. also pull a plug to see if they are not fouled up cuz if they are you wont get a strong spark and will get fuel and spark but the spark is not strong enough to ignite the air fule mixture. hope this helps peace.

chava_rx7
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
ahhh okay...well you can always buy some octane boost, might clean out the bad fuel, bogg down could be from teh pcv valve too, again it can be a few things...
octane booster does not clean fuel in any way he will only waste money on buying that stuff and it wont fix his problem. the best way is to serch and identefy the problem not just guess at it untill u find the problem just take ur time and do things right.

Killer
02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
thanks man.. i'll try to check some of that, but i don't have anything to test it with.. and the tools i need to pull the plugs or anything... and since my car isn't running i can't go buy any of it...

Ran
02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I live in Acworth so I'm not far from Marietta. If you need help later tonight, send me a PM. I'll bring some tools and a worklight.

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
octane booster does not clean fuel in any way he will only waste money on buying that stuff and it wont fix his problem. the best way is to serch and identefy the problem not just guess at it untill u find the problem just take ur time and do things right.

thats why i said might genius, and no one mentioned it cleaning his fuel, his bad fuel might cause his fuel not to flow correctly thats why i suggested it if he feels the gas might his problem, there have been times where cars have had bad fuel and octane booster fixed that issue.....since im not there to troubleshoot, im giving him his options

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
thanks man.. i'll try to check some of that, but i don't have anything to test it with.. and the tools i need to pull the plugs or anything... and since my car isn't running i can't go buy any of it...

no tools needed, just pull the spark plugs and while someone is about to start the car, put teh 2 together, you'll see if you have spark or not, especially at night you'll know if you have spark

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
no tools needed, just pull the spark plugs and while someone is about to start the car, put teh 2 together, you'll see if you have spark or not, especially at night you'll know if you have spark

u mean the caps.. or the actual plug itself...??

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I live in Acworth so I'm not far from Marietta. If you need help later tonight, send me a PM. I'll bring some tools and a worklight.

thanks man! i appreciate it... i'll let u know!

oh and reps to who i can....

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
the actual spark plug, kind of like when you check to see if one is burned out, get the second and last one, hold them apart and when the person in the car tries to start, put them ckloser together, not actually touching, but real close....you should see sparks dancing back and forth if you have good spark

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
ran and b16, i'll hit u guys up when i can!

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
alright

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
i get notifications on my sk3 with new messages, so if you hitme up andim not near a pc, i can still respond asap

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
the actual spark plug, kind of like when you check to see if one is burned out, get the second and last one, hold them apart and when the person in the car tries to start, put them ckloser together, not actually touching, but real close....you should see sparks dancing back and forth if you have good spark

... except i've never pulled them before! lol.. i've never had to... i'll see what i can do though.. i've got some extra's already if that's the case...

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:19 AM
... except i've never pulled them before! lol.. i've never had to... i'll see what i can do though.. i've got some extra's already if that's the case...

ahhh okay?
what kind of motor? if its a honda, its very easy, esppecially if its a d series motor, no spark plug covers you have to take off

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
b18a1.... (ls)

in a 93 hatch...

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
ooh ok, yeah pretty easy, i attached a picture, just pull those 2 out

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
when intially tryna take it out, you'll have to jiggle it around a lil

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
i know how to take the caps off.... just the spark plug itself don't u need a spark plug wrench... or something... maybe i'm getting things confused or just am retarded.

B16a2 Civic
02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
oh nevermind Lol, i thought you just wanted to know how to get to them, yeah....you need that wrench, autozone will lend you the tool

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
sounds like ur fuel pump took a shit

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
^^^ if i'm not mistaken the pump did come on... i'm pretty sure i heard it.. i could be wrong though...

chava_rx7
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
u need a spark plug socket, or a 5/8 deep well socket but if u plull the caps on the plugs hold them with gloves or something cuz it will shok the hell out of u if you dont cuz it uses ur body as a ground and if u hold them up they still need to be grounded justs hold the plug in the boot against the block or the negative post of the battery.

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
^^^ if i'm not mistaken the pump did come on... i'm pretty sure i heard it.. i could be wrong though...
lol i didnt read thread just my initial thought after reading first post

if you hear the fuel pump humming then its clearly the flux capacitor malfunctioning.

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
just start from the basics... do you smell fuel? is the car getting fuel? (specially after that many failed starts)

if so check if ur getting spark... pull a plug wire, and pull a plug out and plug it to the wire and then crank it with it outside of the car... see if it sparks

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
lol i didnt read thread just my initial thought after reading first post

if you hear the fuel pump humming then its clearly the flux capacitor malfunctioning.

i'm gonna be honest.. i don't eve know what the hell u just said! lol...

this is my first project... i've always just had crappy daily drivers.. and have never taken the time to read up.. i'm learning as i go with this car.. and it seems i should have read up first! lol.

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:43 AM
just start from the basics... do you smell fuel? is the car getting fuel? (specially after that many failed starts)

if so check if ur getting spark... pull a plug wire, and pull a plug out and plug it to the wire and then crank it with it outside of the car... see if it sparks

i don't smell any fuel at all...

i'm thinking a frozen fuel line... the gas i had may have water in is my only guess for that...

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
i don't smell any fuel at all...

i'm thinking a frozen fuel line... the gas i had may have water in is my only guess for that...
yeah sounds like the flux capacitor went bad.

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:46 AM
yeah sounds like the flux capacitor went bad.

what is that? where is that? and is it hard to fix...

i could prolly do it myself if it's easy... i've done just about every thing else...

Killer
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
wasn't that on back to the future????

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
what is that? where is that? and is it hard to fix...

i could prolly do it myself if it's easy... i've done just about every thing else...
its not that hard, it takes a lot of time though, but when ur done u can just go back so it feels like it only took 2 minutes

so its worth it

RandomGuy
02-16-2007, 10:53 AM
wasn't that on back to the future????
nah that was something else

flux capacitor = B18 LS motor

its under the distributor between the tranny and behind the block its about the size of an index card it is an electrical component, ie capacitor

81911SC
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
if u need ne help hit me up tonight i cant do much but i can carry something:goodjob:

XHAOS
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.gajuggalos.com/Goodness/Sigs/Sig68.gif
make sure u go 88 mph too.

Killer
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
nah that was something else

flux capacitor = B18 LS motor

its under the distributor between the tranny and behind the block its about the size of an index card it is an electrical component, ie capacitor

thanks for helping.. i just replaced that.. on my way back to shove a close hanger in your mothers womb as we speak...

Killer
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
if u need ne help hit me up tonight i cant do much but i can carry something:goodjob:

thanks gene.. i still need to grab that boarding stuff from u tonight.. what time and where.

81911SC
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
ill be in k town all night so any time is straight i got a b day party around 10

Killer
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
cool thanks gene!

Leadfoot_mf
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
sounds like your battery plan and simple not frozen fuel lines. even with water in them there would be enough gas to keep them from freezing. with a dead battery even jumping it might not make the car turn over.

jon360
02-16-2007, 04:39 PM

i was gonna say the samething...happened to me, fixed it then 2 months later..the distributor went out..but i got one from bigdare23 so it was straight after that...

chava_rx7
02-16-2007, 04:53 PM
sounds like your battery plan and simple not frozen fuel lines. even with water in them there would be enough gas to keep them from freezing. with a dead battery even jumping it might not make the car turn over.
The car turns over homy look for the next problem.

jon360
02-16-2007, 05:44 PM

daaaaaammmmnnnnn...noob trying to get crunk.. :lmfao: :lmfao:

Leadfoot_mf
02-17-2007, 12:49 AM
sorry yeah you are right i am sure. reread the first post. :goodjob: