PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Pulling the head off 93' 240SX

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm having a HELL of a lot of trouble. I was speeding down the highway and think I may have bent a valve.

I'm trying to pull the head off of my KA to see what's wrong and get a better look. The Chilton 93-98 edition isn't working for me. (It seems to be for the s14's, there are some things that don't seem to be the same. Like where some of the mounts are (which may just be because It's for the 240's and Altimas.... anyway.)

I'm 18. Pretty much a noob to working on engines. I'm lost and need some help. Is there anyone that could send me a message via AIM and give me a little guidance?

Thanks everyone!

Benefit
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
s14 and s13 KA24DE's are identical except for the 97-98 ka's where the only thing that was changed was the EGR bullshit , the chilton's guide should be good...but taking the head off is pretty straightforward....how do you know you may have bent a valve?? what kind of noises??

Init2winit
02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm having a HELL of a lot of trouble. I was speeding down the highway and think I may have bent a valve.

I'm trying to pull the head off of my KA to see what's wrong and get a better look. The Chilton 93-98 edition isn't working for me. (It seems to be for the s14's, there are some things that don't seem to be the same. Like where some of the mounts are (which may just be because It's for the 240's and Altimas.... anyway.)

I'm 18. Pretty much a noob to working on engines. I'm lost and need some help. Is there anyone that could send me a message via AIM and give me a little guidance?

Thanks everyone!You are in way over your head. You should probably get someone who has some general automotive knowlege to help guide you. If you don't know anyone, find someone that is over 21 to buy you a 12 pack of budweiser, and go at it.

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, when I got home I realized that I burnt around 2 and a half quarts of oil. It was knocking really loud when revved above 2 grand. But I had also realized that it had been leaking from the head cover. I drove it to a restaurant in town and back home. When I checked my oil, I burned about a quart. I thought it was ridiculous. I thought that the knocking/clicking noise may have been a lifter that went bad at first, but the next day I realized that I had oil coming out of the back of my exhaust. The only thing I can think of is that when I was driving it, I may have bent a valve and that the knocking is from it running with low oil for about a mile or two to get it home.

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
My dad was a mechanic in the military for a while, and for a little while after he retired.

live~sideway
02-15-2007, 09:34 PM
david man this isnt the place or the website for you to post this. we'll get it off but it was just to damn cold today man. if you really want to get an opinion outside me or phil find an actual s13 site they are out there.

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Haha! Stfu :) All motor tech area. This is the perfect spot. lol.

live~sideway
02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
all motor means fast NA cars not you and your clunky truck motor

Krazykouki
02-15-2007, 09:44 PM
s14 and s13 KA24DE's are identical except for the 97-98 ka's where the only thing that was changed was the EGR bullshit , the chilton's guide should be good...but taking the head off is pretty straightforward....how do you know you may have bent a valve?? what kind of noises??

They are not the same.

Well, when I got home I realized that I burnt around 2 and a half quarts of oil. It was knocking really loud when revved above 2 grand. But I had also realized that it had been leaking from the head cover. I drove it to a restaurant in town and back home. When I checked my oil, I burned about a quart. I thought it was ridiculous. I thought that the knocking/clicking noise may have been a lifter that went bad at first, but the next day I realized that I had oil coming out of the back of my exhaust. The only thing I can think of is that when I was driving it, I may have bent a valve and that the knocking is from it running with low oil for about a mile or two to get it home.

Can you tell exactly where the noise is coming from?

live~sideway
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
They are not the same.

Can you tell exactly where the noise is coming from?

nah i had him crank it once but its sounds like angels being killed so he cut it off right away

true mainly the fact is the distributor is on the otherside and there arent mounting bolts under the throttle body

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
It kinda sounded as if it were coming from the top. I've talked to you before, Chris, just in person. I came down maybe two times before you guys started painting the new shop. I think I was actually talking to you about doing an SR swap instead of fixing my KA.

Ran into some issues money wise, so I'm about half way to getting my SR. haha. I need to get running again pretty bad though.

live~sideway
02-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Ran into some issues money wise

aka hes broke

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Not all of us are given beamers :taun:

Haha. Tomorrow is supposed to be Sunny and I have to work. lol. Does that suck, or what? A scorching high of 43 :)

live~sideway
02-15-2007, 10:25 PM
ok since you brought up the fact i was given a bimmer (for good grades and its a piece of shit) im gonna bring out the fact that you know nothing at all about cars showing the fact that i had to tell you what was your exausht manifold and intake manifold and throttle body so piss of you nazi bastard:2up:

Dgardi
02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Hahah :). I got my intake manifold and exhaust manifold mixed up :) I admit to being a newb and asking for help :).

ranj
02-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Hahah :). I got my intake manifold and exhaust manifold mixed up :) I admit to being a newb and asking for help :).
if you want ur engine to not get any worse, plz do not touch it urself lol.

drmcivicsi
02-16-2007, 12:30 AM
wtf is going on in here. lol i have never seen so many noobs in one thread.

kid u dont know what your doing, so take it somewhere. u dont want to end up like the other noob sl33per.

try 240atlanta.com i think thats what its called

Wurm
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
all motor means fast NA cars not you and your clunky truck motor

You should be punished for calling the KA24DE a clunky truck motor :2up:

Flip
02-16-2007, 05:32 AM
wtf is going on in here. lol i have never seen so many noobs in one thread.

kid u dont know what your doing, so take it somewhere. u dont want to end up like the other noob sl33per.

try 240atlanta.com i think thats what its called

yeah, someone over there will surely be able to help you out...

live~sideway
02-16-2007, 05:45 AM
if you want ur engine to not get any worse, plz do not touch it urself lol.

^ x2:goodjob:

live~sideway
02-16-2007, 05:50 AM
You should be punished for calling the KA24DE a clunky truck motor :2up:

hmmmm i feel as though i have insulted somebody.

:piss:KA24

KoukiDrftr
02-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone!
Where are you located? if your close to buford i can help you.

live~sideway
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
nah dude hes in stockbridge

Dgardi
02-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Stockbridge, Ga.

I keep thinking to myself, "Hey, I need to take it to a shop." But I'll never learn anything doing it thatway. You know?

Aside from trying to get tophat to install an SR for me when I can get up some more money, I'm trying to do everything to my car myself. You know? Plus.. I figure I gotta start somewhere, and I wouldn't feel right letting someone else fix my car.

Dgardi
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Flip. 240ATLANTA seems pretty nice.

Thanks for the reccomendation :)

Wurm
02-16-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4156

have fun

KoukiDrftr
02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
thats a good outlook to have. I used to do twin cam headgaskets like once a week about 2 years ago... so i got that shit engraved in my head... Good luck man! 240atlanta.com is your new home!

Dgardi
02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the help everyone :) lol.. I'll keep you guys updated.