PDA

View Full Version : Office Desks Havens for Bacteria *EWW*

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
i found this really gross.. especially the bolded part! my co-worker's desk (a woman) is coated in this nasty film of gunk.. i hate when she is absent b/c i have to use her keyboard.. it's so bad the keys stick.. omg it's gross.. i have to wash my hands right after :cry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TUCSON, Ariz. — Your office desk harbors far more bacteria than your workplace restroom, and if you're a woman, chances are your workspace has more germs than your male co-workers', a new research report shows.
Women have three to four times the number of bacteria in, on and around their desks, phones, computers, keyboards, drawers and personal items as men do, the study by University of Arizona professor Charles Gerba showed. Gerba, a professor of soil, water and environmental sciences, tested more than 100 offices on the UA campus and in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oregon and Washington, D.C. The $40,000 study was commissioned by the Clorox Co.

"I thought for sure men would be germier," Gerba said. "But women have more interactions with small children and keep food in their desks. The other problem is makeup."

Don't get Gerba wrong: Women's desks typically looked cleaner. But the knickknacks are more abundant, and cosmetics and hand lotions make prime germ-transfer agents, Gerba said. Makeup cases also make for fine germ homes, along with phones, purses and desk drawers.

Food in desk drawers also harbors lots of microorganisms, and it is more abundant among female office workers. Gerba found 75 percent of women had munchies in their desks.

"I was really surprised how much food there was in a woman's desk," he said. "If there's ever a famine, that's the first place I'll look for food."

The news isn't all negative for the fairer sex.

Gerba found the worst overall office germ offender is men's wallets.

"It's in your back pocket where it's nice and warm, it's a great incubator for bacteria," Gerba said.

Another hot spot for bacteria in men's offices: the personal digital assistant.

"Men tend to play with their Palm Pilots more," Gerba said. "I think they're playing video games or something."

The average office desktop has 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat, Gerba said.

Gerba said using a hand sanitizer and using a disinfectant on office surfaces helps, with 25 percent fewer bacteria found on surfaces that were regularly disinfected. Once-a-day use should be sufficient.

"You don't have to go crazy with it, but with the key areas, desktops, phones and keyboards probably need to be disinfected once in a while," he said.

Sammich
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
cliff notes

this should be in lifestyle

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 02:40 PM
it's not long enough for cliffs.. don't be lazy

it can be moved.. i though it was interesting..

Ran
02-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Office Desks Havens for Bacteria *EWW*That's what happens when you use the same hand for your mouse as you do for masturbation. You should learn to be ambidextrous. :yes:

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
omg this has taken a turn for the worse.. :(

Ran
02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
omg this has taken a turn for the worse.. :(Well, in our defense, you did post it in the WL. :D

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
lol i know i know..

i should have expected it!

hahahahaha it's still icky!

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
i'm ambidexterous :goodjob: :D

Ran
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
lol i know i know..

i should have expected it!

hahahahaha it's still icky!Eh, my desk isn't really nasty. Just really, really dusty. :D

i'm ambidexterous :goodjob: :DI knew you'd make an appearance, I was just waiting for it. :lmfao:

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
^^^that was borderline gay, please refrain :goodjob:

Ran
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
^^^that was borderline gay, please refrain :goodjob:Just testing the waters cupcake. :gay:

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 02:53 PM
mine isn't messy.. at all.. i clean it all the freakin time.. i don't want to end up like my co-worker (who is about 45 and can't keep her desk clean)

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Just testing the waters cupcake. :gay:
:upchuck: i'm not yousef, ur gay passes disgust me...

Ran
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
:upchuck: i'm not yousef, ur gay passes disgust me...Easy there Strawberry Shortcake, I was messin' with ya. :)

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 03:13 PM
*sigh* poor ran, once a fag always... :gay:

Ran
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
*sigh* poor ran, once a fag always... :gay:I think Princess Peach here is a little insecure. :police:

Sammich
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
That's what happens when you use the same hand for your mouse as you do for masturbation. You should learn to be ambidextrous. :yes:

:lmao:

i need to switch up:lmfao:

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
boys boys.. what's with all the hostility??

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I think Princess Peach here is a little insecure. :police:
man u sure are trying hard to impress us here w/ur huge repertoire of gay nicknames :lmfao:

Ran
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
boys boys.. what's with all the hostility??No hostility, Wayne just refuses to accept his true feelings for me. :(

kelly marie
02-15-2007, 03:25 PM
wayner is this the troof?

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2007, 05:35 PM
no he's confusing me w/the yousefus :yes: