PDA

View Full Version : Misc My website I just made...

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Well I have been wanting to learn how to make websites for a long time, and I decided two days ago that I was going to try. Don't flame me on the name, I know it's gay but I needed something and it sorta flows. Oh and also this has nothing to do with me thinking I'm good at taking pictures so I don't want to hear about that either.

I just want some feedback on what you guys think so far, pictures the right size? does it look good? just anything really. Basically I'm just looking for a clean place to display some pictures.

www.highpowerphotography.com

Just tell me what you think.

And if this is better suited for the entertainment section, by all means move it.

quickdodgeŽ
02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I honestly don't like it. It would be much better if you had more than one page. Later, QD.

Evil Goat
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
so far so good, its a good way to learn, i started learning about 3 years ago when i started a local site, ended up becoming pretty good friends w/ a guy in alabama whom ive never met who did all of our web design for free so i ended up saying screw it

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I honestly don't like it. It would be much better if you had more than one page. Later, QD.

Yeah, I can understand that. I started it 24 hours ago, and this is my first time ever using HTML so I'm trying my best.

Obviously it's not anywhere close to finished, I just thought I could get some suggestions.

Julio
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
no bad man.. But I dont know shit about web design..
But I like is so far..

13Bracer
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
well so far so good.

oh yeah and good call on the FD :goodjob:

Nemesis
02-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Not bad at all man. Congrats on the first site.

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:28 PM
no bad man.. But I dont know shit about web design..
But I like is so far..

Yea me either, I'm trying to make this something commercial, I just want a clean place to put pictures up. I know it looks simple and basic, but that's all I need.

Ltdnismorace
02-12-2007, 07:29 PM
very simple, I see a good start

Bishop
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
damn thats nice. I took some web page design classes in high school but have pretty much forgot how to do it all now lol.

quickdodgeŽ
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. I started it 24 hours ago, and this is my first time ever using HTML so I'm trying my best.

Obviously it's not anywhere close to finished, I just thought I could get some suggestions.

I was just kidding, man. Lolol. I like it. Later, QD.

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I was just kidding, man. Lolol. I like it. Later, QD.

haha, I was thinking so, but it's tough to tell with you sometimes.

Nemesis
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Angry Kyle says it looks like SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Oh Noeesssss I should delete it now, hahaha

did you ever get yours up and going again?

Does anyone know how to use the Web Galleries that you can create in photoshop on an actual site? I know how to make them, I just don't know how to do the html stuff

uproot
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
cool man... keep at it!

oh and i dont know if you knew, but you can use photoshop to automate an online photo gallery :goodjob:

keep doin your thing man... the only way to learn is to keep trying

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
cool man... keep at it!

oh and i dont know if you knew, but you can use photoshop to automate an online photo gallery :goodjob:

keep doin your thing man... the only way to learn is to keep trying

Thanks man, and yea I asked in the previous post if someone could help me with that. I know how to make it, just not how to get it on my site. Can you help me out?

man
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Who are you using to host it?

Kyle
02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Nah angry Kyle likes it. It's a good start, I know he has been wanting to do this, glad to see he finally made it happen. Good job Jordan. :goodjob:

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Who are you using to host it?

godaddy.com , that's who i was recommended to use so i figured why not? it's only 4 bucks a month.

oh and thanks kyle, your car is one of my buttons haha, that's probably one of my best pictures of all time

man
02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
godaddy.com , that's who i was recommended to use so i figured why not? it's only 4 bucks a month.

Wow, not bad. Site looks good too, I've been wanting to get a site up but haven't finished my layout yet.

AlliRae
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
it's not bad... keep going with it i wanna see the end

imbosile
02-12-2007, 07:58 PM
it's not bad... keep going with it i wanna see the end

Hopefully by 1 or 2 tonight i will atleast have the buttons functional, I need to create the other pages tonight though. I hope you keep checking on it! haha

uproot
just sent a PM to you dude

imbosile
Wow, not bad. Site looks good too, I've been wanting to get a site up but haven't finished my layout yet.

I just have the economy package, 5,000mb of storage, and 250,000mb bandwidth, I don't think it's a bad deal

Kyle
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM

oh and thanks kyle, your car is one of my buttons haha, that's probably one of my best pictures of all time

Don't lie you just liked the commercials.

Yeah I really like that picture too.

imbosile
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't lie you just liked the commercials.

haha yeah that too :crazy:

greasemunkey
02-12-2007, 08:11 PM
nice, i tried to click on the things like the varsity lol, i think that would be cool if you got a bunch of pics from all of those places

imbosile
02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
nice, i tried to click on the things like the varsity lol, i think that would be cool if you got a bunch of pics from all of those places

Yeah that is my plan, I have a lot of pictures already to put up, I just don't have the time at the moment. That is my ultimate plan though, those are just the buttons that you click to get to the pictures at each location.

greasemunkey
02-12-2007, 08:17 PM
sweet, so you givin out free photoshoots lol

imbosile
02-12-2007, 08:20 PM
sweet, so you givin out free photoshoots lol

Sure, I don't have a car down on campus so that would make it pretty tough, but I need all the practice I can get. I'm up for whatever

AgentEasy
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
it's looking good.. keep it comn'..

greasemunkey
02-12-2007, 08:33 PM
im down to meet whenever, just pm me and i'll give u my # ill be up on the northside with my bro this weekend

imbosile
02-12-2007, 08:37 PM
im down to meet whenever, just pm me and i'll give u my # ill be up on the northside with my bro this weekend

OK i'll warn you, most of my picture come out really shitty, i get like 2pictures i like out of 50 soooo, dont set your standards too high, but i'm willing to do it

greasemunkey
02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
it doesn't matter, i cant find a nice camera anywhere, so as long as some of them look alright, itl be worth it, you can just post them on here im not gonna bug ya about gettin all of them

imbosile
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
it doesn't matter, i cant find a nice camera anywhere, so as long as some of them look alright, itl be worth it, you can just post them on here im not gonna bug ya about gettin all of them

No it's cool, I dont mind doing whatever, I can give you all of them. I'm not in it to make any money, I just do it for fun.

greasemunkey
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
sounds good, lets hope my car doesn't break down now lol

David88vert
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Don't use PS's gallery output (but do use PS for photo editing) - it's output looks like crap for professional page design. You might as well start out with something decent and catchy. I would suggest you at least learn how to use SimpleViewer. It's not hard. PM me for some details.

imbosile
02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
update, all the buttons are now clickable atleast haha

with atleast one picture in each category

§treet_§peed
02-13-2007, 01:07 AM
good start.. btw add me to your frined to xbox live

sleepys4
02-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Website is nice i like it, i had one up for a while it was pretty random. What kind of camera do you use. I'm getting a new car soon i would love some pics on top of a deck or something random. Would u be up to take some pics sometime i live around the corner from Tech.

Flip
02-13-2007, 02:42 AM

d0ont' use godaddy, use 1and1.com :)

I was with godaddy and compared to the other ones they are inexpensive but they aren't as fast as i would have liked and such... 1and1 is better in all aspects and they let you have ssh access...

The site looks pretty good so far man. Try adding some navigation buttons so you don't have to keep hitting back every time...

Flip
02-13-2007, 02:45 AM
This all reminds me that I need to set up a photographers meet... That would be fun.

joecoolfreak
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
The website looks pretty good for a first attempt. For a photo gallery, I would suggest looking into plogger (http://plogger.org/). I use it for my pics and have been very happy with it. It requires that you can run php on your host though, so you will have to check on that. As far as matching it to the rest of your site, you might want to rely on css for that. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to pm me anytime. I also have a web design business on the side and don't mind helping people out from time to time.

Kyle
02-13-2007, 08:23 AM
So, you got some buttons to work?

BTW: When I see high power, it reminds me of that back to the future parody 1.21 jigawatts.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bnqtXOi1iaY

Also want to get a new filter and try to go up to the factory again. :ninja: Shhhh... Don't tell nobody.

imbosile
02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll definitely take them into consideration, the problem is I don't know much. I don't know what php or css is, and I only know the BASICS haha.

yeah kyle anytime where both back at home lets do it, I have a tripod now so we should be good

Flip - I only signed up for a 2 month hosting deal so if I decide to switch I guess it wouldn't be a big deal in a couple months

The Yousef
02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
nice site jordan...it looks good!

imbosile
02-13-2007, 10:11 AM
nice site jordan...it looks good!

Thanks! I need some of your car to put up there sometime.

imbosile
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok well I have an automated web gallery that i made in photoshop, and all of its files are sitting inside of a folder on my desktop. there are multiple files and folders inside here. can anyone explain to me how to get the web gallery actually up on my site

ive tried to put the entire folder onto my hosting site and linking it somehow within my page, but i just cant figure it out

reps for any help

Nemesis
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
When using the photoshop generated gallery there is an index.htm page within the first folder. There should then be a folder for thumbnails, large images, etc.

Lets say your ftp uploader shows this.

/yoursite

Yoursite, contatins the index.htm page that is brought up when people hit up your URL.

create a new directory

/yoursite/examplegallery/

within this example gallery folder, dump the other folders and your index.htm page within this directory. Make sure your permissions are set correctly, then hot link it wherever you want that points to this address. Such as: http://www.jordanssite.com/yoursite/examplegallery/index.htm .

imbosile
02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
^^ thanks a lot, I actually got it up working earlier i just cant figure out how to add my title picture to the page, ive tried going into that index.htm file and adding my own code to add the pictures but i cant get it to work

www.highpowerphotography.com click the varsity button

man
02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Also want to get a new filter and try to go up to the factory again. :ninja: Shhhh... Don't tell nobody.

Let me know. I wanna snap some pics...

imbosile
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
update, i have flash galleries now for all the sections with atleast a couple pictures in it

man
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
damn pimpin, nice. Where'd you get the flash gallery? You make it?

imbosile
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
damn pimpin, nice. Where'd you get the flash gallery? You make it?

yeah it's really easy to make, just a simple photoshop tool

the problem is, i can't figure out how to get it centered or add my title picture since it's its own flash file

man
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah I was gonna say you need to center it...

Do you have flash? You can probably edit it in there

bigdare23
02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
nice jordan!!!

imbosile
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah I was gonna say you need to center it...

Do you have flash? You can probably edit it in there

I'm notreally sure if i have flash or not, i can open up the file and see all the code, ive tried a few times to code what i think will center it, but nothing happens.

man
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Hmmm... I think you'll actually need to edit the flash program to get it to work, rather than the html format. But i'm not really sure because I've never used the flash program that you have.

man
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
hmmm... looks like I may have a site or two coming soon...

imbosile
02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
hmmm... looks like I may have a site or two coming soon...

nice, let me know when you get them up

AtifSajid
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM
straight..well whatsa weird is if you go to the GT section and start viewing pictures, if you click a smaller image, the window gets smaller and kills like 2 or 3 pictures at the end. You cant go to them at all unless you find an image that enlarges and then those images come back..

imbosile
02-14-2007, 09:25 AM
straight..well whatsa weird is if you go to the GT section and start viewing pictures, if you click a smaller image, the window gets smaller and kills like 2 or 3 pictures at the end. You cant go to them at all unless you find an image that enlarges and then those images come back..

yeah i just noticed that happening for me under the varsity section as well. thanks for letting know, i need to figure that out