PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold bolts broken off.

IOnlyLookStock
02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I went to fix a leaky manifold gasket and when I tried to loosen two of the bolts holding the manifold on, they snapped off.

One snapped off right where it meets the nut, the other snapped slightly inside the block.

Anybody know where I could get this fixed?

JstAneon
02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to buy some new tools. Get a tap and die set and a good bit to drill the bolt out.

jmmx258
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
First try an Easy out. Dont go drilling into your head yet. To drill that bolt out completely your going to need more than jsut a Tap and Die set your also going to need to either have the hole welded shut, then re drilled and tapped, or Get a set of Helicoils.

Try getting the bolt out with an easy out. If you take it to a good welder they could probably tig weld a nut to the end of the bolt (yes the one broken down inside). Along with the heat that'll probably let it be taken out.

speedminded
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
First try an Easy out. Dont go drilling into your head yet. To drill that bolt out completely your going to need more than jsut a Tap and Die set your also going to need to either have the hole welded shut, then re drilled and tapped, or Get a set of Helicoils.

Try getting the bolt out with an easy out. If you take it to a good welder they could probably tig weld a nut to the end of the bolt (yes the one broken down inside). Along with the heat that'll probably let it be taken out.That's the most intuitive thing i've heard from you yet :goodjob: Wouldn't necessarily have to TIG it though, just arc weld a bolt to it will work :)

Schugg
02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
or you could not put so much work in it and do it the easy way. chances are they broke because it was cold, or rust. either way put some oil in it let it soak goto ace hard where and get an extracting drill bit. not sure if thats what its called, its just like a drill bit but reversed. drill a small hole in the broken stud, then put the extracting bit on and drill it into the hole and the stud should come out. its not that hard, im pretty sure if i can do it you can do it.

speedminded
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
or you could not put so much work in it and do it the easy way. chances are they broke because it was cold, or rust. either way put some oil in it let it soak goto ace hard where and get an extracting drill bit. not sure if thats what its called, its just like a drill bit but reversed. drill a small hole in the broken stud, then put the extracting bit on and drill it into the hole and the stud should come out. its not that hard, im pretty sure if i can do it you can do it.ever got both a drill and bit in an engine bay ;) ....it all depends on the car though.

jmmx258
02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
That's the most intuitive thing i've heard from you yet :goodjob: Wouldn't necessarily have to TIG it though, just arc weld a bolt to it will work :)

Yea, I know I often say stupid shit! lol In my mind it works, and most of the times I reply I speak from experience, and only tell what worked for me. lol