PDA

View Full Version : buying new car but no title-HELP

97prelude
02-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I found a car that i really like but the owner doesnt have the title because he still owes money on his loan. He has to pay off his loan with the purchase $$$. But then im paying him without the title in hand and then he has to have it sent to him and then gives it to me. But whats stopping him from saying the car is stolen after i pay him? Is there a safe way to do this? Would it be safe to do a bill of sale? Is there something else im supposed to do to be safe?

97prelude
02-10-2007, 03:39 PM
help me help me help me

Echonova
02-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Go with him to the bank have them sign and notarize the title WHILE YOU ARE THERE. Don't trust the guy to do it for you. Ownership 9/10th's the law.

JDM onlyy
02-10-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you can do a bill of sale and that would work. Have both of you sign and it all. I'm pretty sure that'll work. Cause that's like a receipt for buying a car.

JDM onlyy
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Go with him to the bank have them sign and notarize the title WHILE YOU ARE THERE. Don't trust the guy to do it for you. Ownership 9/10th's the law.

Or you can listen to him, his sounds better. Lol. :goodjob:

Halfwit
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
if he has a kid, tell him youll hold the kid till u get the title.

97prelude
02-10-2007, 04:09 PM

His loan is with honda motor co. Im not sure what i should do. Im hoping that someone with experience with something like this will respond. Or if someone with legal experience knows if a bill of sale will hold. thanks 4 your help guys.

jfman
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
His loan is with honda motor co. Im not sure what i should do. Im hoping that someone with experience with something like this will respond. Or if someone with legal experience knows if a bill of sale will hold. thanks 4 your help guys.

Easy ! You call Honda credit and pay off his loan for him, they will send the title straight to you.

You give him the balance id the payoff is lower than the selling price.

97prelude
02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Easy ! You call Honda credit and pay off his loan for him, they will send the title straight to you.

You give him the balance id the payoff is lower than the selling price.

YES!!! Theres the advise i was looking for. I would +1 but i cant, sorry. U know what this means??? S2K for me!!!:dj: :bigdance: :fruit: :yay: :drink: :nautjerk: :burnout:

Halfwit
02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I REPPD HIM FOR U

97prelude
02-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I REPPD HIM FOR U
Thanks, i appreciate it.

The Youngn
02-10-2007, 06:47 PM
at the same time....if u and him write up a contract and have 2 copies with both person's signature...it'll have you both in a binding contract. which means if he violates the terms of the contract....then you can sue him for whatever he owes you. Make sure there are 2 copies that way if he makes any unautorized changes to his copy...you still have your copy and vice versa

thepolecat
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Actually it is POSESSION that is 9/10ths of the law

thepolecat
02-10-2007, 06:51 PM
if he has a kid, tell him youll hold the kid till u get the title.

IDK, I teach middle schoolers and I really dont know anyone that would give up the car for the kid.

J/K, but I would let hime keep a teenager.

Echonova
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Yes sir, I stand corrected.:D

Leadfoot_mf
02-10-2007, 08:03 PM
yeah possession of stolen property nice try idiot :goodjob:

R3RUN
02-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Same thing happened with my car. We did a bill of sale and wrote a cashier's check that was made out to the company holding the title. Topped it off with a couple grand cash to satisfy the seller and everything turned out fine. If he wanted to get all of the money to pay off the car he had to give the check to the company holding the title.