PDA

View Full Version : Prelude shaved roof finished take a look!!

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Prelude shaved roof project done, just have to prime with heavy primer. it is an even flat surface. cant tell unless u actually look at real thing. Picts just show glare so it looks like u can see it. Of course metal and bondo are two diff compounds so the paint will look two diff colors until primed. So i dont want to hear crap about oh i see where u mest up or its cracking. its perfect. if it were primed u would have never know. so i dont want to hear it.
the second pic is before sanding thats why it looks rough.

http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/331/DSC00196edit.JPG
http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/331/DSC00199edit.JPG

http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/331/DSC00198edit.JPG
http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/331/DSC00201edit.JPG

greasemunkey
02-10-2007, 10:25 AM
whats wrong with a sunroof??? you can throw stuff at ppl tailgating you

Sol-Badguy
02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I love my Lude's sunroof.

And why'd you post it in the WL?

Sol-Badguy
02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
^Damn computer's messing up.

Never mind.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 10:38 AM
the sunroof was rusted through and didnt even work. and i wanted my car to be lighter. no one can tailgate me unless they have a built turbo car. which is rare. i bought car for 400 bucks blown motor etc. lots of problems. girl owned which explains it all.

green91
02-10-2007, 10:40 AM
looks interesting..

greasemunkey
02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
the sunroof was rusted through and didnt even work. and i wanted my car to be lighter. no one can tailgate me unless they have a built turbo car. which is rare. i bought car for 400 bucks blown motor etc. lots of problems. girl owned which explains it all.
oooo...now there's a shot, lol

boosted_nonv
02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
why

Deaf Pimp
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I can see that bondo cracking pretty easily. Should've had it welded.

JstAneon
02-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I can see that bondo cracking pretty easily. Should've had it welded.

It's not welded? Yikes.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
what are u talking about. its not cracking and i did weld it thank you very much. And for ur info I am a certified welder.
all u see is glare cause it has multiple coats to get every little tiny hole. and it was just painted with a normal spray can till i go out and get some thick primer.

Hulud
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
1st off, why dont you resize your own pics, are you that lazy?

2nd, i hope you are not done with it, you can easily see the outline of the new piece

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 02:30 PM
yeah the girl drove it and never changed the timing belts on the h23 and it blew a balancer belt. and then she still drove it then when she started getting on the highway it just blew the 3rd cylinder rod through the front and back four huge holes. the interior is mint and that really suprised me but the outside wasnt.

and the shaved roof isnt the first thing ive ever done. ive been doin stuff like this for over 6 years now so ive made mistakes but never twice. ive welded roll pans so perfect that they didnt need a drop of bondo. then some idiot ran in to it the next day after two days of hard work. it was a master piece. no offence to anyone about this either just statin the facts. i just dont like people who assume things. If you dont believe im that good then come take a look at it for urself. all my friends will tell u it looks good too. ok im done. thanks for the good comments. no offence to girls just the ones who drive there car like theres no tomow and then expect it to run like it was brand new.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 02:31 PM
i dont know how to resize i have asked before and no one has ever helped. and 2nd it hasnt been primed so of course ur gonna see that but not after its painted.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 02:37 PM
quit hatin jeez.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
also if u read at the very bottom of that its says:Done. still got some little stuff to do to it but thats about it.
which would be primering it.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 02:52 PM
the smiley face took over the D and i dont know why. wierd. and no i didnt happen to hit it either.

Hulud
02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
i wouldnt call painting it "little stuff"

thats why i asked

also to resize shit just use a picture editting prog

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
painting is little stuff. it would only take a few min. its not a big project. its simple.

aaronfelipe
02-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Something I would never do. You should have done a glass roof or someting.

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 04:12 PM
this is just a temp cause of the old sunroof. im gonna wait till summer and do a carbon fiber plug from lightfaster.com
fixed the pics. my picture editing was not with the microsoft products it had been moved so i never knew i had one.
ok Hulud u happy now that i got my pics resized.

Hulud
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
painting is little stuff. it would only take a few min. its not a big project. its simple.
it may not be tough but it definetly takes a while due to primer, base, clear

and letting it all dry, not to mention the numerours coats of each and blocking down the primer

gtikid
02-10-2007, 06:29 PM

What about traffic? :D

RB25DET240sx
02-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I dont mean doin a full paint job. Im waitin on that till i get all my carbon fiber parts. I would just use a spray gun on top, let it dry then paint it to match what black i have now. Nothin to fancy just yet.
Traffic? if its goin slow then it really doesnt matter.I wouldnt want to have to throw something out of my sunroof while going slow. I just have those people who try and come up fast and start flashing there lights so i just down shift and leave'em

fight club
02-11-2007, 04:08 AM
I dont mean doin a full paint job. Im waitin on that till i get all my carbon fiber parts. I would just use a spray gun on top, let it dry then paint it to match what black i have now. Nothin to fancy just yet.
Traffic? if its goin slow then it really doesnt matter.I wouldnt want to have to throw something out of my sunroof while going slow. I just have those people who try and come up fast and start flashing there lights so i just down shift and leave'em

those would be police officers. :goodjob:

BufordŽ
02-11-2007, 07:00 AM
I don't understand the point of this.. But cool, I guess. Enjoy.

RB25DET240sx
02-11-2007, 07:40 AM
yeah actually i had one spot light me and turn around and try to chase me thursday night. its the second time hes done it. i just ducked down some curvy back road and left him in the dust. I think its one of my friends playin a trick on me cause i met him the other day and found our that he joined the cherokee county police and thats what car it was. I dont have his number to find out. but if it wasnt him then oops.

The point of this is to make it lighter and faster.

speedminded
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Sunroofs are crazy heavy: glass, steel, & an electric motor...and everyone knows preludes are lead sleds.

Turbodude06
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
those would be police officers. :goodjob:

^^^^ LOL:lmfao: Dude u didn't even show me it Friday night WTF, Must look so good that I didn't even see it cause I walked by your car a few times IDK....

BaHumBugg
02-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I dont know bout yall but I love sunroofs, but very creative I guess, props

RB25DET240sx
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
yeah u are right they are heavy and im tryin to lightin it alot. oh Sry T totally forgot. remind me next time we meet up. yeah sunroofs are nice but i got a del sol to take care of that if i want the sun burnin my head in the summer. LOL

phongt12
02-11-2007, 10:19 PM
the only downside to doing what you are doing is that the roof will have a greater chance of warping under pressure (ex: auto-x), especially when there used to be a giant gap there. the look will definitely be unique, but if you wanted to drop the car's weight, there are so many easier (and cheaper solutions).

speedminded
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
the only downside to doing what you are doing is that the roof will have a greater chance of warping under pressure (ex: auto-x), especially when there used to be a giant gap there. the look will definitely be unique, but if you wanted to drop the car's weight, there are so many easier (and cheaper solutions).not really, if that was the case the glass would be breaking from the stress in sunroofs all the time. They have additional bracing for the sunroof plus he added bracing AND welded it all together...he basically created an exoskeleton just as strong as the unibody itself and I seriously doubt it will ever warp or paint crack.

RB25DET240sx
02-12-2007, 01:21 AM
you are right. the pic of the two bars runnin across isnt what it actually looks like now. it has two other bars runnin the other way too. they are also welded together to create minimal flex. i know the risk I was takin so i made sure nothin would ruin all my hard work.

Flip
02-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Preetty neat project. Looks like it turned out pretty good.

speedminded
02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
you are right. the pic of the two bars runnin across isnt what it actually looks like now. it has two other bars runnin the other way too. they are also welded together to create minimal flex. i know the risk I was takin so i made sure nothin would ruin all my hard work.now tell me about this blown TT your username implies. I've seen it once before with a volvo engine...the one they put in the modified opel manta.

RB25DET240sx
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Its a RB26 built by overboosted. Just to show off the crazy shit they can do. I have seen it in two skylines but thats about it.

ruffriderGA
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
but if you wanted to drop the car's weight, there are so many easier (and cheaper solutions).

cut top off :goodjob: looks like decent work though, only reason someone mentioned seeing the outline of the new piece is like he said paint covers bondo and metal differently

Fr33way
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Did you weigh the components when they were removed?

RB25DET240sx
02-13-2007, 10:54 AM
no i didnt weight them but i can they are still in my garage. ill get back and tell everyone how much weight is gone.

Sammich
02-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Something I would never do. You should have done a glass roof or someting.

ditto

RB25DET240sx
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM
yeah but this car is being slowly built for performance not looks. If it were my other DD then i would. OK the weight of the whole sunroof assembly was a little over 32Lbs.

Sammich
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
how much is what u did w/ it? u look to have at least 5lbs of bondo

RB25DET240sx
02-13-2007, 01:18 PM
cost around 50. theres only like 3lbs of filler. used two quarts which each weights 1.5 lbs. but i also sanded off alot to even out surface but the hardener takes up for that. I tacked the sheet metal pretty close to the surface so it didnt have to fill in alot and weight it down. thats why i built the frame for that so i could keep it from flexing and be able to use as little bondo as i could. I dont really care it just needs to stick up till the middle of summer. So far its doin great. I drive curvy roads everyday to school and back from Woodstock to Jasper. If anything was gonna happen to it, it would have done it by now.