PDA

View Full Version : Been through a divorce in GA?

JstAneon
02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I need some advice.PM me or hit me up on AIM: TecnicsMK3d

Brett
02-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I have been and so has my current wife

quickdodgeŽ
02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Same here. And so has my ex-wife. Later, QD.

Hulud
02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
NO WAY! lol

Brett
02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
YOU WELCOME FOR THE INFO!! lol. Damn, I tell him some info and he doesnt even come back to say thanks or anything, just takes the info and doesnt say a word

JstAneon
02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
sorry bro, I'm on the phone with a friend about this shit right now.

Thank you

Fast Shadow
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I need some advice.PM me or hit me up on AIM: TecnicsMK3d

YOU'RE LEAVING ME? you son of a bitch!

RandomGuy
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
great play on words

timing- 9.1
execution - 10
content - 8.4
LOL factor - 5

JstAneon
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks to boostless and quickdodge for the advice. Anyone who has done this without using a lawyer, any input would be greatly appreciated.

jblaudio06
02-09-2007, 01:47 AM
whatevr ya do...figure out an agreement between both of ya...if you guys fight tons and tons of money is gone...if you can figure it out you dont even need a lawyer

Georgia_boy
02-09-2007, 02:56 AM
man all I got to say is
cover your ass, get a lawyer.
Especially if you have kids w/ her.

I am going thru one also.
G/L

jblaudio06
02-09-2007, 03:23 AM
settle it w/ her is the best bet

JstAneon
02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
We are in agreement that I am going to be taking full custody and keeping the house. She just wants to start a new life, I guess... I'm just wondering what to do as far as what paper work to file, where to get it, etc... I've been searching online but the amount of bullshit I've been sifting through is insane. Just looking to get some first hand knowledge.

TIGERJC
02-10-2007, 04:03 AM
We are in agreement that I am going to be taking full custody and keeping the house. She just wants to start a new life, I guess... I'm just wondering what to do as far as what paper work to file, where to get it, etc... I've been searching online but the amount of bullshit I've been sifting through is insane. Just looking to get some first hand knowledge.
GET A LAWYER.

David88vert
02-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I filed my own paperwork and got a divorce in Gwinnett about a decade ago. If the couple has an agreement, with no children, you can simply go up ti the courthouse/justice center, and get the divorce petition from the clerk of the court (superior). Take it, fill it out, get both of you to sign it, and get it notarized. Return it with the filing fee (was $63 back then) to the clerk. Wait 2 months (minimum amount of time to wait). Go before the judge (only 1 of the 2 people needed). Confirm you still want the divorce. Sign the final paperwork.
It's not very hard. All of these lawyers that advertise "uncontested divorce - $499", are just filing this simple form for you.

Gwinnett Superior Court:
http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/courts/supcourt.htm
Court Forms:
http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/lib_asp/volumeindex.asp

gobraves00
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
also consider that with you getting custody of the kid(s) that you want to be able to claim them on taxes, if not in wirting then she could claim them before you get a chance to submit your taxes and your screwed

JstAneon
02-12-2007, 10:14 AM
also consider that with you getting custody of the kid(s) that you want to be able to claim them on taxes, if not in wirting then she could claim them before you get a chance to submit your taxes and your screwed

Seen that happen on more than one occasion (I'm a tax accountant lol)...

JstAneon
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I filed my own paperwork and got a divorce in Gwinnett about a decade ago. If the couple has an agreement, with no children, you can simply go up ti the courthouse/justice center, and get the divorce petition from the clerk of the court (superior). Take it, fill it out, get both of you to sign it, and get it notarized. Return it with the filing fee (was $63 back then) to the clerk. Wait 2 months (minimum amount of time to wait). Go before the judge (only 1 of the 2 people needed). Confirm you still want the divorce. Sign the final paperwork.
It's not very hard. All of these lawyers that advertise "uncontested divorce - $499", are just filing this simple form for you.

Gwinnett Superior Court:
http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/courts/supcourt.htm
Court Forms:
http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/lib_asp/volumeindex.asp

That's the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks. +1 to all.