PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering? Good or Bad for drift?

wannab20hatch
03-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I've heard from alot of people that power steering in a drift car is the way to go and ive also heard from just as many people that non-power steering is the better way. What is everyone's opinion and why?

MasterMadman
03-11-2005, 11:35 PM
no power steering

BruceAlmighty
03-12-2005, 01:59 AM
no power. you get a much better feel for the car and the road.

HiPSI
03-12-2005, 01:36 PM
depends on the car, the steering ratio, and the driver. i prefer it, but i guess i'm wrong because the previous 2 people said to go without it :rolleyes:

wannab20hatch
03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
They have a combined 15 posts. Your opinion holds a little more weight erin.

illeagle
03-12-2005, 10:16 PM
i'd rather have powersteering, but i guess it comes down to individual preference

man
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
If you can live with the stuggles of not having powersteering, I'd go without.

man
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
dammit, and why don't I get my post count back???

wannab20hatch
03-13-2005, 12:17 AM
I think im gonna try with and without.

Fcman ask ADMIN and hell give you your posts back i got mine back.

b18hb
03-13-2005, 01:34 AM
it is just a matter of personal preferance. good plan to try with and w/o... i personally prefer w/o... especially in newer cars because the power steering seems to dampen feedback from the road, although driver input is much easier to control.

CodyW
03-13-2005, 02:11 AM
i guess erin and i are the minority, but i also have it and like it.

man
03-13-2005, 10:16 AM
I think im gonna try with and without.
Good idea, because it really is about personal preferance and car setup. I have drifted with both but they were in different cars (350z w/, my fc w/o). The 350z was much easier to control but the fc is a whole different monster because of the weight distribution and power. Just try it out!

CALIWEST
03-15-2005, 02:01 PM
it all depends on how u control ur vehicle...if you can do with minimal countersteer then w/o power steering is fine...itz all bout how u move the car into a turn

chuck
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
i don't know how i could live without power steering, countersteering like a mofo when i hit a turn...but then again i suck.

but i'd also think that speed would be a factor, in a high speed drift you may want a heavy solid feeling wheel...but i personally can't stand that.

what about power assisted steering?? :D

khmaiomega
03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
yeah ... what about power assisted steering

flysi00
03-17-2005, 11:09 AM
i like having power steering

SandM
03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
personally, coming from someone who drives a FWD. power steering does cause a bit of understeer. powersteeringless is great for turns though. much more feel for the turn.

DrivenMind
03-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I prefer power steering. It just makes the whole job easier, and throwing the wheel back requires less effort.

HiPSI
03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
personally, coming from someone who drives a FWD. power steering does cause a bit of understeer. powersteeringless is great for turns though. much more feel for the turn.

how exactly does power steering cause understeer?

Doppelgänger
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, on my white Miata... i disconnected the power steering.. so i was running a power steering rack with no pump. i loved it, the steering ratio was killer and i could flick the wheel around.

My new car has powersteering though, im not ditching it becaues it feels better then my p.s. on my old car.

From a Miata stand point... a de-powered rack is very nice and direct with just enough weight on the steering wheel to make it feel right.. gotta remember the cars weight/tires selection and alignment make a HUHE difference when you take out powersteering too. I might try no p.s. on my green car one day. The reason i took it off my white car was because when making very quick transitions the pump couldnt keep up and i would end up fighting the wheel when i wasnt expecting to.

man
03-19-2005, 07:03 PM
throwing the wheel back requires less effort.
I disagree, w/o powersteering all you have to do is let go of the wheel and it will spin back around much faster than you can move your hands.

HiPSI
03-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I disagree, w/o powersteering all you have to do is let go of the wheel and it will spin back around much faster than you can move your hands.

it will do that power steering or not.

Big Rick
03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I have to say , i tryed drifting my 89 supra with and without P.S. and i rather have P.S. anyday. The car weights alot so thats 1 reason i rather have my P.S. but its not something i would get into drifting with, those times were just for shits and giggles so i don't. i have driven my brother's sr240 and if i had to guess, having enough power and no P.S. wouldn't be to hard in his car.

DrivenMind
03-29-2005, 10:05 AM
The only drawback I see to having powersteering is the occasional lapse in it. As in transition from one slide to another you can feel the wheel speed up and slow down as the powersteering can't keep up with the rotation of the wheel. Though I have an ancient car, I prefer my powersteering. I've driven both my AE86 with powersteering and Harrisons (also owns the Integra) without it. The steering feel is better than mine but not to such a degree that I'd consider removing it. In my opnion my car feels easier to control during a slide, though the lapse in the powersteering can get a little annoying.

My buddies Integra didn't have powersteering and steering feel was awesome up until the limit was reached. Doing a burnout the car would be fine but any change in the wheel's postion would send the steering wheel spining insanely fast in the direction the wheel was slightly turned.

Anyone care to let me in on the differnce between powersteering and power assited streering? I'm guessing power assited only works when you need it?

forcefed240
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
i love it in my 240 but once again... driver preference

Kayin520
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I guess its depend on the driver. But if the drift car is your daily driver then you do want the power steering. As chuck said, you don't want to counter-steer like a mofo all the time. I personally can't stand non-power steering.

bigpanda16
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
shoot, power steering is for babies
i call it over-assist
this is Harrison(i lost my old account somehow)
i have taken powersteering off ALL my cars and i have had a few
1.1970 1/2 pontiac trans am w/6.6L
it was like a truck for christ's sake, ill give u guys that, a big car and no power steering may not be the best combo. once i got my new rear end(3.42 posi) i could barely turn the wheel fast enuff to kepp up with it goin side to side in a straight line, much less gettin serious with some donuts
2. my teggy(rip), i took it off for weight at first and to lessen the drag off the motor.
that was back in 01, when i knew next to nothing about cars
but i loved the feedback and feel midturn with no ps, wouldnt have had it any other way
3. my ae86, it too, was a power rack w/ no pump(although i feel as if my rack is dyin)
easily flicked around like the teg and easy to keep up with lots of feedback
though i would love to get my greasy paws on a manual r&p (super rare)

i guess its just preference, but i would have to say estis's ps feels like complete shit
sometimes even working against you much less not bein able to keep up

DrivenMind
04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
i guess its just preference, but i would have to say estis's ps feels like complete shit
sometimes even working against you much less not bein able to keep up

atleast I don't have to hack at the wheel backing out of the driveway.

No powersteering is fun, but I enjoy the low speed meanuverability it provides.

works agianst you? I don't know about all that...

SLOWR/T
04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
i think im going to pull the PS off my 7 and put in a manual rack. my PS seems to catch and not want to turn sometimes. almost like its low on fluid (it not though??)

man
04-22-2005, 05:24 PM
rx-7's fell much better with manual steering

SLOWR/T
04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
yeah, now i just have to get a manual rack. ^^you have a TII dont you? ^^

DrivenMind
04-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Harry has a little penis

SLOWR/T
04-23-2005, 11:52 PM
^ok??????^ im not going to ask how you know

DrivenMind
04-24-2005, 12:17 AM
^ok??????^ im not going to ask how you know

he tried to hit me with it in my sleep...

im a light sleeper.
results may vary.