PDA

View Full Version : Letting friends borrow cars...

sirkus
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I had a friend give me a call this morning and he sounds like he's sort of in a bind. Didn't explain what the reason was that he needed to borrow one of my cars. But he sounded pretty serious. He just said.. "I really need to borrow one of your cars, someone's bringing me by in a min... see ya" Then I get this message from his cell phone.. "hey i need to borrow one of ur cars k? someones about to drop me off see u soon"

How do I go about telling him to kiss my ass whenever he gets here? It's somewhat wet out side, so the mustang is a huge NO. And I've never let anyone drive my Mazda unless I was drunk. But I was in the car with them. He's a really good friend, but I still don't see him leaving in one of my cars... How would you go about telling them no? :thinking:

slow_hatch
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
If you feel uncomforable about letting him drive one of your cars by himself, when he gets there just tell him. He shouldn't have had someone drive him over just based on an assumption that you'd let him take one of your cars for a reason unknow to you. Has he borrowed one of your cars before?? If he is a good friend he'll understand :goodjob:

Bishop
02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
lock the cars up in the garage and go out to lunch :goodjob:

slow_hatch
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
lock the cars up in the garage and go out to lunch :goodjob:

This would work also :D

imbosile
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
well he could start by telling you why he needs it, and if it's possible maybe you could just drive him there if it's not too far out of the way

hemi
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
He's outa line assuming that it is okay, and having someone bring him over to pick it up...
Tell him he done lost his dam mind, this aint enterprise... and close the door after his ride drives off...

sirkus
02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I'll never let anyone borrow any of my cars. I had a buddy who had a vr4 and let someone borrow it... they flipped it. And he was pretty much screwed with money problems ever since.. so all I need is for someone to wreck a car that I have 3 years of payments left on.

I called him and he said that he needed something to go to school in, his car's battery died. I told him I'd drop him off but he needs someone to come and pick him up, I gotta be at work by 3:00... so I can't. He got all pissed off and acted like I was the worlds biggest asshole. He'd probably have better chances of borrowing dads s2k.. :p

wantboost
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
ride the buss??? he got pissed, is he a real friend?

Z32redondo
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
My friends know better than to even ask. Cause when they ask I make it seem like they asked to get it on with my gf, and really let them know they are crazy for asking...This way when the question pops into their mind "hmmm whos car can I borrow". They automatically cancel me out.

Mr_Mischif
02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I say go buy him a new battery, take his car to school, and charge him for the new battery b4 he gets in.

slow_hatch
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Hrmmm...sounds like a dick. Wonder why the person picking him up to drive him to your house couldn't have just jumped his car off?? :thinking:

GIXXERDK
02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
And you consider him a "real good friend"? Let him take the Mazda 6

sirkus
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
And you consider him a "real good friend"? Let him take the Mazda 6

Haha hell no.. He knows better than to ask that question.. He got here a min ago and his g/f was gonna drop him off. I told him that he should have known damn better.. he just looks at me and says... "well I guess she's gonna miss work." And walks off like a little 4 yr old. I dunno what the hell is wrong with him.
He knows damn well I don't even like my dad driving my cars, let alone him.
He has been a real good friend, but even I know that he wouldn't let me borrow his 96 civic lx :P

sirkus
02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Has anyone on here let their friends borrow a car? And you know they miss treated it?

imbosile
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
I pretty much just say since my car is manual, I don't want my clutch burned out by someone who has never driven my car

man
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Ask him if you can borrow his girlfriend for the day...

slow_hatch
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Has anyone on here let their friends borrow a car? And you know they miss treated it?

Well I have a FEW friends that I would let borrow my car if they needed it. They all have owned lowered/modded hondas. And as for miss treating it, I know my friends well enough and they couldnt/wouldnt beat on it anymore than I do. :D

Sammich
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM

i let a friend of mine hold my toyota p/u to take out trash. i knew he would burn out or act a fool a couple of times, i do it sometimes, but the two reasons i let him borrow the truck

1. i had his srt4
2. the truck is pretty much indestructible

so i was in a win win situation:yes:

Killer
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
only time i let anyone use my car is when they swapped cars with me, because i ran into a family in need at a walmart... my pastors wife and three daughters.... i had a friend with me.. there van broke down so they needed i ride home...

my other friend rolled up in his is 300 i told him what was going on and he just said "u wanna take my car??? i'll just meet u with yours later"

as much as i didn't want to cause i know he's not good on a clutch i had no other options.....

Kelly
02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
And that's why I married you.

(lol, j/k but it was sweet)

Pavlo
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Around my company, its an honor to have someone drive someone else's car. Only time I actually drove one of my friends M318ti, was when he was arrested. Nobody ever asks to drive someone elses car, I know we all feel the same about this.
Certain people have better chance of asking a cop to borrow his car, others on the other hand I have no problem borrowing my car to. Really there are only 2 people that I would trust my car to + my dad.

gijoe0720
02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Hell all my friends drive each others cars all the time. I let people drive my truck and I have almost 10k in it. Other friends have trans ams and mustangs and everyone drives them.

Jecht
02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I personally won't let my friends borrow my cars. I would NEVER consider it. I will however, let them drive it if I'm riding with them.

ahmonrah
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Has anyone on here let their friends borrow a car? And you know they miss treated it?i have, but my friends know i'd shoot them if they fuck my shit up. just kidding. the friends i have and the way i am is that we (if need be) would let each other borrow our cars, but we also bring the car back with more gas than we used, a report on anything that may have happened or not, and in appreciation, we've even washed eachothers cars just because the other person let us borrow it. my peeps are like family. i give the same respect that i'd like back and it pays off.
================================================== ======
i had to stop letting biological family members borrow my car(s). they are the ones that would bring my shit back on E(mpty), mechanical issues, shit missing and body parts gone. the last straw was my 20yr old lil brother. after i bought the s13 from marcos, i went and got a top to bottom inspection/repairs on the car, it was sound. drove it for a few months and was leaving town for colorado. left my car(the s13) with my brother for the duration i was gone (6-days) and the day before i left, i paid $168 for a major tune up.

well when i got back to get the car, these were the issues:
1) car idled rough as shit, lifters were audible.
2) gas consumption was MUCH higher than when i left.
3) the month old, 12" alpine type R sounded loose(rattling), later found out he took my woofer out and put it in his jeep, dropping the box and cracking a corner of it.
4) right side side view mirrow gone.
5) no gas in the car AT ALL!

he tried to tell me:
1) the car was idling rough when i gave it to him.....BULLSHIT! I JUST HAD A MAJOR TUNE UP(breakdown of things done on the car via the reciept, and hawking the workng at the auto shop to make sure he didnt cut corners) ON IT THE DAY BEFORE AND DROVE IT FOR ABOUT 4HOURS TOTAL AFTER IT WAS DONE, BRINGING THE CAR STR8 TO HIM AT THE END OF THE NIGHT.

2) it ate gas up like that when he got it. (refer to #1's response)
3) it was already sounding that way. BULLSHIT!! the BOX (q-logic) and woofer are only a month old!!
4) the mirror must've been like that before. BULLSHIT!! i pored over this car for hours looking for problems to fix frm inside to the body, and i told him all the thing wrong at the moment i seen them, and a mirror falling off, wasnt one!!

and this one put me over the edge:
:rant:
5) from his mouth: "i didnt put gas in the car because i put $50-60 in it since you've been gone..." WHAT:eek: !! how the fuck did i leave my car with you...FULL FUCKIN TANK....and when i get it back, in addition to the new issues....I'VE GOT TO FILL THE TANK?! plus, i know you lyin, 'cause i didint have to put barely $40 in for a week of driving and i'm always on the move.

i nearly slapped the SOUL from his body i was so mad. plus moms let me know what he was doing, racing my car, burnouts leaving their driveway...so god knows what he was doing in the streets, riding each gear PAST 5-6k before shifting(she rode with him one night and she told him not to do that his response? "it get more pooowahhhh.")

and he got noise complaints from teh neighbors for excessive bass.....

bigdare23
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
If you dont trust your "good" friend with your car, is he really your "good" friend???

ahmonrah
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
refresh and read my LAST post bishes!!

bigdare23
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
refresh and read my LAST post bishes!!

Damn your post grew like hell!

Anyways that was fucked up!

ahmonrah
02-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Damn your post grew like hell!
Anyways that was fucked up!:lmfao:, i know....i didint read his question all the way thru so when i re-read it i snapped! i wanted to shoot my brother in his left clavicle sooooo bad i was shaking with pisstivity when i got home from colorado the next day and he brought the car in and didnt mention ANY OF THIS SHIT! i went out, inspected the car and that's when i noticed the sounds/mirror/rough idle/ empty ass gas tank....

ahmonrah
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
anyway, AHMONRAH doesnt let biological family member borrow his cars.......

live~sideway
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
ive let one guy borrow or drive my car and its only cause he doesnt drive like a dick so i know if i tell him not to do it he wont. he has do burnouts and stuff but its all good he doesnt speed alot or anything. he has also driven it when i go to thomaston cause its such a a long trip plus ive had to pick up my girlfriends car so i didnt want him driving hers cause i paid for it also. but i dead battery id say ill jump you , give you a ride, or you better go buy a new battery

Mr_Mischif
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
If I let a friend borrow my car, I would want the title to theirs. Or they should sign the car over to me, and if it's not fucked up when I get it back I just tear it up.

JstAneon
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
The last time I let someone borrow my car, they used it to drive around and break in to other cars. I finally found my car on the side of the road a few days later with a blown engine (zz4 350). I used his ex girlfriend to find him hiding in a hotel room and laughed my ass off as he was hauled off to jail. Asshole still owes me thousands of dollars.

ahmonrah
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
dead battery id say ill jump you , give you a ride, or you better go buy a new battery :goodjob:

MR. 200SX
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
NO NO NO NO!! NEVER let anyone borrow your car! Why? Cause if they fuck it up they won't pay you, you'll lose the friendship and what not. Let him be mad for a day or 2 and he'll get over it.

TheSnail
02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
My friends drive my cars on a daily basis. I am intoxicated everyday and everyday I find my self "stuck". So I have to be shofered around. The only time Ive had an incident was 3-4years ago and it was my fault aswell. I was drunk, it started to snow, so I decided to be shofered to a parking lot to do doughnuts in the same direction for 15min straight, bouncing off the rev limiter on the KA till it spun a rod. But we're talking about a KA so its neither of us gave a shit.

Mad Mike
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM
I let my dad drive my crx one day and when I got home from work he said there was something wrong with my bass system. I went out to it and the kicker L7 square sub was blown. He said he never turned it up loud but the sub was fine the day before. Thats the first and only time I've ever let someone drive my car and it will never happen again. At lest he didn't blow the motor, its alot cheaper to replace a sub than a motor.

jmmx258
02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
I've been in a few situations where I've let people use my car.

1. EF Hatch. Stock mostly. Let my brother use it for work. Blew it up.
2. 71 Nova (before mods) Straight 6. Let my uncle use it. Ditched it on a SUMMER day said he hit a wet spot (he was drunk) *asshole*
3. EK Coupe Intake exhaust only. Got pulled over one night, had an outstanding ticket warrant for bad inspection (pa). Spent the night in jail. Was on the way home from picking up my cousin and her son with her brother. He didnt have a liscense. Got pulled over for a head light out. She drove off and missed 3 gears in one shift :( Once they turned the corner her brother drove it.
4. Same car, same guy. Needed to run an errand, the very next morning while i was in court for that ticket lol. Made it 2 blocks from his house, the cam locked up in the head(oil was full and new) snapped the timing belt.

One thing i love more than my cars is my dirtbike. I let a friend of mine race my KTM 125 a few times. One time he lost it on a sweeper, and drilled a light pole at a night race. Twisted the front end, smashed my pipe, bent the bars, broke both clutch and brake lever. Luckily i was done with my classes for the night. The next day I called him asking to help me with just straightening it out, and maybe clean my air filters for me. I didnt think that was much to ask. I didnt even ask fro money to fix things. He told me he had no ride. I went and got him, all he did was sit on his ass and watch me do all the work. I'll probably never let people use my equipment again, unless i have something of theirs for collateral

Gotta love friends

CSquared
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah I've never let a friend drive one of my cars outside my line of vision or without me in it. The only person to borrow one has been my dad and even then he had to rip the keys out of my hand.

From what you said, your friend sounds like he was being a real dick about it. He'll get over it.

sirkus
02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I've been in a few situations where I've let people use my car.

1. EF Hatch. Stock mostly. Let my brother use it for work. Blew it up.
2. 71 Nova (before mods) Straight 6. Let my uncle use it. Ditched it on a SUMMER day said he hit a wet spot (he was drunk) *asshole*
3. EK Coupe Intake exhaust only. Got pulled over one night, had an outstanding ticket warrant for bad inspection (pa). Spent the night in jail. Was on the way home from picking up my cousin and her son with her brother. He didnt have a liscense. Got pulled over for a head light out. She drove off and missed 3 gears in one shift :( Once they turned the corner her brother drove it.
4. Same car, same guy. Needed to run an errand, the very next morning while i was in court for that ticket lol. Made it 2 blocks from his house, the cam locked up in the head(oil was full and new) snapped the timing belt.

One thing i love more than my cars is my dirtbike. I let a friend of mine race my KTM 125 a few times. One time he lost it on a sweeper, and drilled a light pole at a night race. Twisted the front end, smashed my pipe, bent the bars, broke both clutch and brake lever. Luckily i was done with my classes for the night. The next day I called him asking to help me with just straightening it out, and maybe clean my air filters for me. I didnt think that was much to ask. I didnt even ask fro money to fix things. He told me he had no ride. I went and got him, all he did was sit on his ass and watch me do all the work. I'll probably never let people use my equipment again, unless i have something of theirs for collateral

Gotta love friends

Oh there is no way I'd ever let a friend ride a bike that I owned. Not even if I'm following them. I let my dad ride the kz900 once, and HE FREAKIN DROPPED IT in a parking lot. The thing was in perfect shape.. and I got to watch it go to shit.. but he was a good sport about it.. had it fully repainted and rebuilt :D
But if I know damn well that they don't make any kind of money to afford to fix anything on any of my cars.. they don't need to be driving it.

My buddy called me earlier and told me that he knew he was out of line for asking. But his g/f was giving him shit all morning and was hoping that I would skip work to give him a ride, or atleast let him take the mustang. Which, I really don't blame him, his g/f is a bitch.

jmmx258
02-02-2007, 12:23 AM
haha yeah i wont be lettin nobody ride my bikes ever again! lol

Good to know that ur dad helped ya fix it, and ur friend was outta line

Ran
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
When I had my Mazdaspeed MX-5, I swapped cars for a little bit with a buddies Civic Si. Well, he starts off slow in my car, then guns it. So I slam the gas in his Si, hit VTEC, and shift it. Well, the shift lever breaks. Complete at the ball where it goes into the transmission. I'm laughing my @ss off and waving his shift lever out of the window while rolling down the road in neutral at about 15mph in a 45mph zone. So I get out and push his car into a parking lot. He pulls in a few mins later wondering WTF happened.

After explaining to him that the lever just broke, we laugh and try to figure out how to get the car home. After about 15mins of brainstorming, we have our other buddy show up with a drill and tool kit. We actually drill down into the ball of the broke shift lever, then jam a screwdriver in it to create a make-shift shifter to get home. All this the night before NOPI. :lmfao:

Just a sidenote, I was nice enough to pay for half of his new short shifter. :)