PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Selling the Z for an MKIII Supra

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Well I want more power and the MKIII being one of my favorite cars I figure why not make a change. Any thoughts on this peoples? BTW I would be getting a 5 speed, turbo, targa top. And whenever I think I need more power after that I can always swap for a twin turbo 1JZ engine. So what do you think, should I or no? And if your wondering why I just dont buy a twin turbo engine for the 300zx. I dont have 8 grand for Z1 to swap the engine for me, as well as around 5-6 grand for someone else to do it. With this way I would basically break even and use the money from the z for the supra, I also may have some extra for some upgrades...Thoughts?

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
2jz ftw

xLSTONEx
01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
2jz ftw

If only they made them in MK3s you dumbass.

R3RUN
01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Check yo pm's mang!

Oh, and go for the supra if its in good condition.

imbosile
01-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Well they're being swapped into anything and everything nowadays, so it's not impossible. Plus I'm sure it's been done thousands of times already.

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
If only they made them in MK3s you dumbass. wow you don't say... but he's talking about swaping.. read before trying to make a smart ass comment

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:24 PM
wow you don't say... but he's talking about swaping.. read before trying to make a smart ass comment

I said 1JZ because they made MKIII's with them so it would basically be a slip right in type of deal (discarding ecu, wiring harness, ETC.)...but ya 2JZ FTMFW...if I had the money

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
I said 1JZ because they made MKIII's with them so it would basically be a slip right in type of deal (discarding ecu, wiring harness, ETC.)...but ya 2JZ FTMFW...if I had the money lol that's what i was saying but dude buddy apparently didn't read your post correctly.. good point. but i don't think it would cost that much more. but it would be better than just a 1jz... remember you would have 2 jay z's under your hood:goodjob:

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
lol that's what i was saying but dude buddy apparently didn't read your post correctly.. good point. but i don't think it would cost that much more. but it would be better than just a 1jz... remember you would have 2 jay z's under your hood:goodjob: Still has a good point that they did make them in MKIII's

Back to the topic though, any thoughts on this? And dont go out there saying "well if you just want power why not buy an sr'ed 240" or some BS like that I know what im wanting already just would like some opinions before I go through with it.

xLSTONEx
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Well I want more power and the MKIII being one of my favorite cars I figure why not make a change. Any thoughts on this peoples? BTW I would be getting a 5 speed, turbo, targa top. And whenever I think I need more power after that I can always swap for a twin turbo 1JZ engine. So what do you think, should I or no? And if your wondering why I just dont buy a twin turbo engine for the 300zx. I dont have 8 grand for Z1 to swap the engine for me, as well as around 5-6 grand for someone else to do it. With this way I would basically break even and use the money from the z for the supra, I also may have some extra for some upgrades...Thoughts?

dumbass

SampaGuy
01-30-2007, 11:30 PM
7mgte ftw

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
dumbass

Explain???

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
dumbass o my gay i know he said that.. i was just saying 1Jz because of the potential.... and yeah i know thst they didn't come in MK3's

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
7mgte ftw and that would be a pos motor from what i have heard

SampaGuy
01-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Explain???

7mgte > 1jz. thats what he meant.

R3RUN
01-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Didnt think they made a twin turbo 1jz????

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
7mgte > 1jz. thats what he meant. lol

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:35 PM

JDM TyTe version of what we got...was going to buy a 1JZ twin turbo RHD MKIII from this guy in canada but wouldnt pass emissions and all that customs BS to make it into the US so ya...

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
all you need to know

R3RUN
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Ah, cool. Learn something new everyday.

xLSTONEx
01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Explain???

not you

§treet_§peed
01-30-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.toyota-supra.info/supra/7mgte/7mgte_vs_1jz.php

Z32redondo
01-30-2007, 11:39 PM
not you

Thats what I was thinking then later realized.

PSINXS
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
mk3 is a pig.

ah well

CSquared
01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
and that would be a pos motor from what i have heard

Race me and find out... People talk a ton of shit about the 7m but when properly maintained it's reliable and responsive to modification. The stock headgasket will hold up until around 16lbs of boost but if you replace that with a metal unit, you should have no problems whatsoever. The bottom end is said to handle about 500hp reliably and there are a ton of guys on 7mpower.com to verify that.

One thing that annoys me... If you don't have any personal experience with the car, how the hell can you pass judgement? That'd be like me saying the d16 is inferior to the k20... I know nothing about either of those motors.

Sorry to lash out at you emo but don't talk shit about my girl. :goodjob:

1j only came twin turbo... In the supras at least.

RandomGuy
01-30-2007, 11:54 PM
anyways to sum this thread up

MK3's suck

MK2's own

CSquared
01-30-2007, 11:58 PM
anyways to sum this thread up

MK3's suck

MK2's own

Which is why i own one of each :D

I saw your post on celicasupra.com btw... looking for wheels or whatever.

§treet_§peed
01-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Race me and find out... People talk a ton of shit about the 7m but when properly maintained it's reliable and responsive to modification. The stock headgasket will hold up until around 16lbs of boost but if you replace that with a metal unit, you should have no problems whatsoever. The bottom end is said to handle about 500hp reliably and there are a ton of guys on 7mpower.com to verify that.

One thing that annoys me... If you don't have any personal experience with the car, how the hell can you pass judgement? That'd be like me saying the d16 is inferior to the k20... I know nothing about either of those motors.

Sorry to lash out at you emo but don't talk shit about my girl. :goodjob:

1j only came twin turbo... In the supras at least. see i didn't know i have only heard... i didn't say they suck i just stated what i heard... btw did you get the link i sent you?

§treet_§peed
01-31-2007, 12:03 AM
and btw i'm not emo

§treet_§peed
01-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Besides caling me Emo is like saying yousef loves white people and the LNC

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:06 AM

This is the way I look at it... If you are going to buy an mk3 turbo supra... The 7MGTE is included in that price for free. If you want a 1j, you are going to spend at least another 1000 on the motor, then at least a few more hundred on the install above that. For that money, you have a motor that could have had the shit kicked out of it for the last 15 years. Instead of investing 1500 into a 1j, you can rebuild the stock 7m to stock spec or above. At least then you know that rebuilt 7m is going to be a reliable motor.

Then... Since I am being awefully nice on the prices, the rest of that money can be placed into performance modification on the 7m. Yes you have more initial power with the 1j, but try to find replacement parts and price out some of the more rare aftermarket shit. Hold you jaw because it might hit the floor. Better or not, I firmly believe that you should stick with motors that were sold in the united states. At least then there is a surplus of stock and aftermarket parts.

Moral of the story... Is the 1J jdm tyte really worth all that extra time, money, and effort when you have a stock motor completely capable of producing shit loads of power? Treat her right and she will do the same for you.

p.s. Just a heads up... If you do plan on going 1j... i believe the 1j only fits the 90-92 crossmember so you will have to source one of those out if you get 86-89.

p.s.s. WWW.7MPOWER.COM <----- GO THERE.

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
see i didn't know i have only heard... i didn't say they suck i just stated what i heard... btw did you get the link i sent you?

I'm not on aim if that's where you sent it. My comp has been all fucked up with IA for some reason so i am using the "family" computer.

Besides caling me Emo is like saying yousef loves white people and the LNC

Ha lncftmfw

BlkCD5
01-31-2007, 12:10 AM
If you do get a Mk3, keep the 7M. The 1jz is a direct swap, but I heard the wiring harness and electrical is a bitch to hook up. With the potential 1jz swap money, you can have a decently built 7M. Also take into consideration about the parts issue & mechanical experience. I'm not too sure how many people actually know how to work on 1jz's.

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 12:16 AM
no offense but your trading one gigantic turd for another hunk of shit.

300zx FTL
MKIII Supras FTL (unless its boosted1JZs)

both are heavy as shit, old as shit, and im convinced MKIIIs are cursed

1JZ=ovverated unless its a built motor
7MGTE=PIECE OF SHIT except for the tranny
2JZ=baller status

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:17 AM
mk3 is a pig.

ah well

Yeah I can't deny that. Toyota created the car to be luxury/sport/touring hybrid and it def lives up to that as far as I'm concerned. Even if the stock driver seat is 100+ lbs with rails, it's comfortable as hell.

I'm going to be doing a lot over the next few years to address that. I've dropped about 120 lbs already from the car and the only thing removed from the interior was the back seat (which is 49-50 lbs with all of the accessories).

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 12:19 AM
This is the way I look at it... If you are going to buy an mk3 turbo supra... The 7MGTE is included in that price for free. If you want a 1j, you are going to spend at least another 1000 on the motor, then at least a few more hundred on the install above that. For that money, you have a motor that could have had the shit kicked out of it for the last 15 years. Instead of investing 1500 into a 1j, you can rebuild the stock 7m to stock spec or above. At least then you know that rebuilt 7m is going to be a reliable motor.

Then... Since I am being awefully nice on the prices, the rest of that money can be placed into performance modification on the 7m. Yes you have more initial power with the 1j, but try to find replacement parts and price out some of the more rare aftermarket shit. Hold you jaw because it might hit the floor. Better or not, I firmly believe that you should stick with motors that were sold in the united states. At least then there is a surplus of stock and aftermarket parts.

Moral of the story... Is the 1J jdm tyte really worth all that extra time, money, and effort when you have a stock motor completely capable of producing shit loads of power? Treat her right and she will do the same for you.

p.s. Just a heads up... If you do plan on going 1j... i believe the 1j only fits the 90-92 crossmember so you will have to source one of those out if you get 86-89.

p.s.s. WWW.7MPOWER.COM <----- GO THERE.

you can buy the weld on tabs for the PRE 90 crossmember for $150

who cares about 500whp in a MKIII with ANY MOTOR, they weigh a billion pounds, you would need to make 800whp to runs 12s

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:21 AM
both are heavy as shit, old as shit, and im convinced MKIIIs are cursed

Seriously... There is this one dude... EVERY time we hang out my car breaks down. The thing is completely fucking reliable outside of that so I am honestly afraid to hang out with him.

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Which is why i own one of each :D

I saw your post on celicasupra.com btw... looking for wheels or whatever.
werd? you saw it?

i got some P-types a few weeks ago

http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/389/100_0295.jpg

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 12:23 AM
i mean i love the way they look, but i swear, boosted1jz i dont think has had his RUN in the last 3 years, everyone we come across has some kind of wiring gremlin, 2JZ turbos explode 20 miles down the road, and more.

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:25 AM
werd? you saw it?

i got some P-types a few weeks ago

Where did you get them and how much did you pay? I've been trying to track down a set for a while now.

supposed to be 225/60/14 btw in case you didnt know.

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Where did you get them and how much did you pay? I've been trying to track down a set for a while now.

supposed to be 225/60/14 btw in case you didnt know.
whats supposed to be that?

i'm puttin some 245's in the back ( yeah they'll fit) the tires only need 6.5 inch rim width... i think the p types are 7 or 7.5 so i'm straight

and like 205 falkens in the front

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:28 AM
i mean i love the way they look, but i swear, boosted1jz i dont think has had his RUN in the last 3 years, everyone we come across has some kind of wiring gremlin, 2JZ turbos explode 20 miles down the road, and more.

Seems like he and Jared (raven something on here... maybe you know him) have been off the road for just about he same amount of time. I'd hate to see chris sell that car though with as much as he's been through with it.

BlkCD5
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
:thinking: I just want to know his decision after he heard all this. Also i wonder if he has ever driven a MK3 at least a couple of hours.

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
whats supposed to be that?

i'm puttin some 245's in the back ( yeah they'll fit) the tires only need 6.5 inch rim width... i think the p types are 7 or 7.5 so i'm straight

and like 205 falkens in the front

EDIT: The stock tire on the p-type is supposed to be 225/60/14

Where the hell are you going to find a 245 width in a 14 diameter?

Come to me for tires man... Let me know in advance what sizes/brands/speed ratings you want and I'll get you a deal.

P types are 7 inches. 245 is a little big for that wheel but yeah it'll work.

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:31 AM
:thinking: I just want to know his decision after he heard all this.

lol who cares... I'm just enjoying the fact that I'm talking about cars for the first time on IA and not what somebody ate for lunch yesterday or what IA member has herpes. :lmfao:

sirkus
01-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Just build the damn 7m... it comes turbo'd, so you'd already be getting away from the 300zx's n/a status. A built 7m at 16psi will give you a good amount of power and be just as fun. You'll save money compared to the 1jz... and it's 100x cheaper than an over priced 2jz....
And if you're wanting to swap the 2jz into something.. I'd get an sc300/400 and do it in that :) Those cars are sexy. Or one of those 4 door lexus's... GS300 or something.. I can't remember which one had a 1jz/2jz in it in japan. sleepers ftw

BlkCD5
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
:lmao:, thats WL for ya

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Where the hell are you going to find a 245 width in a 14 diameter?

Come to me for tires man... Let me know in advance what sizes/brands/speed ratings you want and I'll get you a deal.

P types are 7 inches. 245 is a little big for that wheel but yeah it'll work.
haha i already bought the fronts and I was going to go retro and get these for the backs

245/60/14's

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=BFGoodrich&tiremodel=Radial+T%2FA%AE

can you find anything similar?

CSquared
01-31-2007, 12:36 AM
haha i already bought the fronts and I was going to go retro and get these for the backs

245/60/14's

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=BFGoodrich&tiremodel=Radial+T%2FA%AE

can you find anything similar?

I'll see when i go in on friday.

Or one of those 4 door lexus's... GS300 or something.. I can't remember which one had a 1jz/2jz in it. a sleepers ftw

SC400 had the 2jzge.

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll see when i go in on friday.

SC400 had the 2jzge.
twas the cressida... the 7M1GJTZE-YUNGJEEZYTZE

shit was rare as fuck

sirkus
01-31-2007, 01:03 AM
I always wanted to get a cressida and put a 7m-gte in it. I really want a built 2jz in one of those. That's the ultimate sleeper.

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 01:07 AM
I always wanted to get a cressida and put a 7m-gte in it. I really want a built 2jz in one of those. That's the ultimate sleeper.
thats not the ultimate sleeper

this is the ultimate sleeper:

http://www.wrestling-high.com/tenryu/large/h024-01.jpg

OneSlow5pt0
01-31-2007, 01:10 AM
thats not the ultimate sleeper

this is the ultimate sleeper:

http://www.wrestling-high.com/tenryu/large/h024-01.jpg

lol,and comes with a happy ending.........what o nevermind,:gay:

BlkCD5
01-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Cressida weighed about 3700lbs with the 7M-GE in it. It would be nice to swap a 2jz, but would far by outweigh the cost of the car. There is a vid of a 1jz cressida owning a turbo B16 bottlefed civic on streetfire though. The cressida was on stock boost.

Tank
01-31-2007, 06:32 AM
IMO id save up and aby a mkiv but thats just me but i dont seee why you dont just swap your motor in the z for a tt motor there easy to come by and cheap just doesnt add up do some research before you sell it cause it loks like its in good shape.

Ran
01-31-2007, 09:14 AM
I put my vote for keeping the Z32. MKIII Supra's are everywhere and like Mr.KiDD said, they're heavy as hell. They are my favorite body style Supra though.

I say Z32 because I've always had a soft spot for them. The have a timeless look that will always be unique and sporty. To have it in a convertible only adds to it. Sure, it's also heavy as all hell, but at least you won't be one of 1,000,000 others on the road. I see Supra's everywhere. Conv. Z32's not so much.

Save your money and TT swap the 300ZX. Can you boost the N/A VG30DE effectively? If so, maybe that would be a cheaper route to some quick power. I'm not sure though. Either way, I say keep the Z.

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 10:17 AM
who said the 2JZ was overpriced?

so for $2500 you cn have a motor that can handle 900whp on stock bottom end?

even 1JZs are $1500-1800, and we all know they cant handle power like a 2J can. I like 1JZs, but hard to find parts, aftermerket mods, and it is an inferior motor.

the 7M is garbage

CSquared
01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
MKIII Supra's are everywhere... I see Supra's everywhere.

Where in gods name do you live? supraville? If i see 2 mk3s in the sight of a month that is a lot nevermind the fact that it took me forever to find a clean one down here.

Ran
01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Where in gods name do you live? supraville? If i see 2 mk3s in the sight of a month that is a lot nevermind the fact that it took me forever to find a clean one down here.I live in Acworth, right near Woodstock and Roswell. Seriously though, MKII and MKIII Supra's are a dime a dozen from what I see. Granted, they're all in sh*tty condition but they're still there.

I, personally, would rather see him make the Conv. Z32 nice. :yes:

§treet_§peed
01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
nah Crammer i pm'd it to you

RandomGuy
01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
so for $2500 you cn have a motor that can handle 900whp on stock bottom end?

lol for 2500 you can have a rb26 and rb25 tranny = pwnz0r in ur z32

gijoe0720
01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
I told ya my cousin has that twin turboed 300zx motor for 600 dollars.

Z32redondo
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I told ya my cousin has that twin turboed 300zx motor for 600 dollars.I know its just the install that kills me. Its another couple grand for the install.

gijoe0720
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I know its just the install that kills me. Its another couple grand for the install.

damn. That is alot of money to just get a motor installed

Z32redondo
01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
damn. That is alot of money to just get a motor installed

Its cause its such a pain in the ass to even work on that motor.

gijoe0720
01-31-2007, 06:43 PM

yeah there is no room to get to anything

thursdaybuff
01-31-2007, 06:43 PM

that's why you don't go to z1 unless you know someone there or have shit loads of money. they charged me 4400 for a direct bolt up jdm tt motor installed for mine and i hung up the phone..

i vote keep it and find someone else to do the swap.

Niger
01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
i have a friend who will do it for 1500 labor, he also has a connect on the swap itself, but you can get one and bring it.

Z32redondo
02-01-2007, 12:46 PM
i have a friend who will do it for 1500 labor, he also has a connect on the swap itself, but you can get one and bring it.

I would have to get the cash but I will keep you in mind. How many z32 swaps has he done? And are they all pretty successful? When I ask that I mean have any of the people had problems with his work, like things not working right, or fitment being wrong, stuff like that. Also does the paperwork come with the engine?

compufreak21
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Its actually a pretty simple swap... I say this as i owned a 92 z32 and did quite a bit of research. As far as i was told (by z1 actually and also a good friend of mine as well) the only real difference as far as wiring goes is the boost guage. Run an external boost gauge and you can actually use the stock n/a harness. All other differences are internal. Buy a one piece z1 driveshaft and a new clutch, exhaust, intake, and boost controller and you should be set for 400+ hp for very little money. Not a hard installation at all if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. Just my 2 cents.