PDA

View Full Version : building my motor.

00CelicaGT
01-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Ok i have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT and i want to start building my motor. This motor is a 1.8L and it doesn't have Lift (or "V-TEC" for the honda guys) because it's the GT not GT'S. I wanted to go turbo but right now i just cant afford it and i feel it would be better to build the motor before i go turbo so it doesn't blow right away.

Anyway whats the best and smartes way to make good #'s N/A, i was thinking pistions, sleeves, cams, main and rod bearing's, valves, titanium springs and retainers, and bigger injectors. Also Apexi Power FC

These are just a some things i could think of that might help make the power i want(195-200 Give or Take).

Also the 7th Gen Celicas have horriable oil consumption, How can i solve this problem?

Please dont trash my thread wit shit talkin and sarcsam i know my car is slow but im tryin to change all that.

yerrow
01-29-2007, 05:26 AM
you have a toyota...you don't have vtec
when you build a car for NA, its not the same as building for turbo. so its either you build for NA or you build for turbo

00CelicaGT
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok i have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT and i want to start building my motor. This motor is a 1.8L and it doesn't have Lift (V-TEC) because it's the GT not GT'S. I wanted to go turbo but right now i just cant afford it and i feel it would be better to build the motor before i go turbo so it doesn't blow right away.

Anyway whats the best and smartes way to make good #'s N/A, i was thinking pistions, sleeves, cams, main and rod bearing's, valves, titanium springs and retainers, and bigger injectors. Also Apexi Power FC

These are just a some things i could think of that might help make the power i want(195-200 Give or Take).

Also the 7th Gen Celicas have horriable oil consumption, How can i solve this problem?

Please dont trash my thread wit shit talkin and sarcsam i know my car is slow but im tryin to change all that.

you have a toyota...you don't have vtec
when you build a car for NA, its not the same as building for turbo. so its either you build for NA or you build for turbo
i know i dont have V-TEC:lmfao: . The toyota celica GT-S has something called LIFT or something like "V-TEC" but for toyotas. thats why i put V-TEC in parenthesis, maybe i should have put in quotations. gonna change that sentence. Thanx for ur help though:goodjob:

devin
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
you mean VTEC

devin
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
if you are gonna do a turbo setup, make sure you change out the blinker fluid to work with a turbo setup, if you dont you will have real bad problems.

00CelicaGT
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
well mybad on the VTEC part but man im not that dumb. smartass :2up:

devin
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
dont believe me? call a toyota shop and ask about the blinker fluid setup.

SKUNK2GUY
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
yea lots of cars have vtec it's just called different things for copyright reasons yo. on low boost and proper tuning any car can handle boost. a baffled oil pan can help a little with your oil problems but i would wait till you actually start boosting so you cab get one already tapped and made specifically for turbo. you could also upgrade your oil pump. or if you're big baller you could get one of those dry sump system or whatevr it's called. and just my :2cents: if skunk2 makes any parts for your car i would use them they are fairly priced and qaulity parts g/l yo!

00CelicaGT
01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
yea lots of cars have vtec it's just called different things for copyright reasons yo. on low boost and proper tuning any car can handle boost. a baffled oil pan can help a little with your oil problems but i would wait till you actually start boosting so you cab get one already tapped and made specifically for turbo. you could also upgrade your oil pump. or if you're big baller you could get one of those dry sump system or whatevr it's called. and just my :2cents: if skunk2 makes any parts for your car i would use them they are fairly priced and qaulity parts g/l yo!
Thanks a lot but the only thing that skunk2 makes or my car is an exhaust i think but ill definatly look in to them. Thanx ur :2cents: lol:goodjob:

nofive-0
01-30-2007, 06:03 PM
You could sell your car and get an older body style and swap the jdm turbo motor in it. The st185 or the st205. But if you don't want to do that I would say buy a junk gts motor and build that one up to handle boost. Then you can have the best of everything.

Daryl
01-30-2007, 06:55 PM
I think that you are refering to vvti not vtec.

allmotoronly
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM

uh wrong. nobody else uses a 3 cam lobe variable valve timing system with different lift cam lobes like honda. everyone else uses self adjusting cam gears (like the "i" in i-VTEC) or single larger lobes.

heres a link to toyota explaining vvt-i

http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/main/vvti/index.htm

here is a link to nissan's variable valve timing explanation. it works through the intake cam gear.
http://www.nissanusa.com/video/vehicles/gallery/maxima/flash/fl_per_variable_valv.swf

heres a video of VTEC. I know it says honda marine but its the same thing.

http://videos.streetfire.net/toprated/41/33afea46-d732-479c-a4ab-22e74118bb4a.htm (http://videos.streetfire.net/toprated/41/33afea46-d732-479c-a4ab-22e74118bb4a.htm)

SKUNK2GUY
01-31-2007, 01:50 AM
i wish skunk2 was on here so i could give them rep points. lol g/l newer body style like you got loooks way better than the old

fawk_you
01-31-2007, 01:55 AM
uh wrong. nobody else uses a variable valve timing system with different lift cam lobes like honda. everyone else uses self adjusting cam gears (like the "i" in i-VTEC).

heres a link to toyota explaining vvt-i

http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/main/vvti/index.htm

here is a link to nissan's variable valve timing explanation. it works through the intake cam gear.
http://www.nissanusa.com/video/vehicles/gallery/maxima/flash/fl_per_variable_valv.swf

heres a video of VTEC. I know it says honda marine but its the same thing.

http://videos.streetfire.net/toprated/41/33afea46-d732-479c-a4ab-22e74118bb4a.htm (http://videos.streetfire.net/toprated/41/33afea46-d732-479c-a4ab-22e74118bb4a.htm)
I love how a non-toyota owner, or a non-previous toyota owner will tell you something about your car, that they think they know... that isnt even anywhere close to accurate. :lmfao:

Celicas (GT-S THAT IS)=Lift.... not vtec. (celicas are toyota, not a fucking honda.... jesus christ) :goodjob: Previous celica owner here (you know that, some others wont), I wont suggest anything about building the motor cause personally I think its a waste of money from personal expierence, just wanted to help the lift arguement. :D Good luck, post progession whenever you get started. :yes:

Little bit of info some of yall dont know... lift comes in an Lotus Elise.... they come with a little more beefed up celica GT-S motor (the celica motor that has lift, what are the odds of that!!)... same set up though.... :eek:

3kgtdrvr
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
u do realize that building ur motor like u are saying is probably going to cost almost as boosting it right. and like yerrow said, building for NA and boost are two totally differnet things. for example,u lower the compression for a boost motor and raise it for NA, so ur high comp na pistons will cause u to blow ur motor when u turbo it. my opinion is to add some extra "vtecH" fluid and save up for a turbo if thats what u really want. just my :2cents:

allmotoronly
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
I love how a non-toyota owner, or a non-previous toyota owner will tell you something about your car, that they think they know... that isnt even anywhere close to accurate. :lmfao:

Celicas (GT-S THAT IS)=Lift.... not vtec. (celicas are toyota, not a fucking honda.... jesus christ) :goodjob: Previous celica owner here (you know that, some others wont), I wont suggest anything about building the motor cause personally I think its a waste of money from personal expierence, just wanted to help the lift arguement. :D Good luck, post progession whenever you get started. :yes:

Little bit of info some of yall dont know... lift comes in an Lotus Elise.... they come with a little more beefed up celica GT-S motor (the celica motor that has lift, what are the odds of that!!)... same set up though.... :eek:

I hope you are not directing that to me. Look at the link, its straight from toyota. nobody else uses the 3 lobes system but honda. VVTL-i has a system that increases lift, but not by using three lobes. he has a GT, so he does not have VVTL-i. VVTL-i is more complicated and still not as efficient as VTEC, which uses three different lift heights on the three cam lobes. The lobes are known as primary, secondary, and VTEC. The difference in lift in the low lobes causes a swirling of the air as it enters the chamber. VVTL-i does nothing like that.

nissan makes one engine that has a system almost identical to honda's VTEC system that came about a few years later... imagine that. its the SR16-VVL blue top engine. The design was used under license from honda, so it does not count since nissan borrowed the design anyway.

All in all, honda has had this technology since the mid 80's. It has been in production cars since about 87 or 88 in japan. toyota and nissan did copy this idea until much later.

green91
01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
vvtl-i does change lift by using different cam lobes

allmotoronly
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
vvtl-i does change lift by using different cam lobes

read above. thats what I said. it has 2 lobes and a very complicated oil pressure actuated lock up rocker. not simple like VTEC

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM
VTEC is unique, and honda had it in F1 cars when NO ONE ELSE HAD THE TECHNOLOGY. Hondas VTEC system debuted in 1988 in Japan in the SIR CRX/CIVIC and in 1991 ACura NSX and 1992 Acura Integra GSR

VVTI was not available in Toyotas UNTIL the USDM Celica GTS in 1997? IS300s have it but they were in 01

Toyota was 15-20 years behind honda.

All manufacturers have different forms of the VARIABLE VALVE TIMING, but Hondas is unique, its a system bred from 20 years ago, and is sTILL the best on the market.

IVTEC hasnt even been figured out completely, but in the next few years youll see pump gas NA 4cylinder making 300-320whp. which is INSANE.

hondas new VTEC dubbed ADVANCED VTEC is VTC on intake an exhaust at all times. essentialy using a version of the BMW system.

BMWs have VACUUMLESS motors, they use pneumatic valves that are electronically controlled (just talking about this todday with big baller).

BOttom line is, Celica GT an GTS arent worth building , too mouch money, not enough gains. The GTS with headgasket an headstuds is a decent turbo candidate, but its expensive.

fawk_you
01-31-2007, 10:42 PM
^-- correct, +1 sir.

I hope you are not directing that to me. Look at the link, its straight from toyota. nobody else uses the 3 lobes system but honda. VVTL-i has a system that increases lift, but not by using three lobes. he has a GT, so he does not have VVTL-i. VVTL-i is more complicated and still not as efficient as VTEC, which uses three different lift heights on the three cam lobes. The lobes are known as primary, secondary, and VTEC. The difference in lift in the low lobes causes a swirling of the air as it enters the chamber. VVTL-i does nothing like that.

nissan makes one engine that has a system almost identical to honda's VTEC system that came about a few years later... imagine that. its the SR16-VVL blue top engine. The design was used under license from honda, so it does not count since nissan borrowed the design anyway.

All in all, honda has had this technology since the mid 80's. It has been in production cars since about 87 or 88 in japan. toyota and nissan did copy this idea until much later.

I was quoting you sir, generalized statement to everyone in the thread. :goodjob:

00CelicaGT
01-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanx everyone for ur responses and i really do appricate the info. I know that if i want to go turbo im gonna need low compression pistions (8.8 : 1)already researched that info. But now i have taken an intrest in autoX and i know u dont need the fastest car to win in autoX. So now that i have this intrest in AutoX im thinking on goin N/A. And N/A u need High compression pistions and a lot of head and internal work. I really dont know what i want to do right now but i've got a 2 years to think about it. If you ask why 2 years,:thinking: I haven't finished paying off my car yet so i got time to make up my mind.

I also know that the GT isn't the best car to mod:no: because the amount of $ ur gonna spend and the low gains u get. But like i always say "i like being different" and i want to build something that not everyone has in the streets and want to change peoples minds about the 7th Gen GT and the potiental it can have wit time and money. Im the type of guy who wants to be that on guy to do something and everyone be like " damn that car is wack but that guy did some crazy ish and that is fing ridiculesly fast.I know it's a long shot but it's a shot im willing to take, but i have time and i'll have the money when im done payin that biatch off lol:lmao: . i thank everyone for the advice it means alot from one tuner to the next, but i like wat i have and im gonna try to change the bad name the GT has. :goodjob: Even though it may take a life time.

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 11:48 PM
^-- correct, +1 sir.

I was quoting you sir, generalized statement to everyone in the thread. :goodjob:
:idb:

Vteckidd
01-31-2007, 11:49 PM
as long as you know "being different"=Costs more money then youll be fine

Khalifa247
02-01-2007, 12:19 AM
I just learned a whole lot about vtec... and a 300 hp honda would be cool.. But i was driving my buddies GSR the other day, and from what he said you can really feel the car "hit" vtec. I heard a difference but that was all. even in the new civic I wasnt all that impressed. maybe Im just driving slow cars but i think i like the way my cruiser felt stock better..

Twinturbo6
02-01-2007, 02:45 AM
I am with you on the being different, do your own thing! Good luck with the build, and if you can locate one get you a spare GTS motor and do that up!

Bruce Leroy
02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
BMWs have VACUUMLESS motors, they use pneumatic valves that are electronically controlled (just talking about this todday with big baller).

I didn't know that bmw used pneumatic valves. Good to know :goodjob: . I thought that they only were used in f1 cars. Guess I'll be sitting on the computer all day reading.

allmotoronly
02-01-2007, 02:33 PM
VTEC is unique, and honda had it in F1 cars when NO ONE ELSE HAD THE TECHNOLOGY. Hondas VTEC system debuted in 1988 in Japan in the SIR CRX/CIVIC and in 1991 ACura NSX and 1992 Acura Integra GSR

VVTI was not available in Toyotas UNTIL the USDM Celica GTS in 1997? IS300s have it but they were in 01

Toyota was 15-20 years behind honda.

All manufacturers have different forms of the VARIABLE VALVE TIMING, but Hondas is unique, its a system bred from 20 years ago, and is sTILL the best on the market.

IVTEC hasnt even been figured out completely, but in the next few years youll see pump gas NA 4cylinder making 300-320whp. which is INSANE.

hondas new VTEC dubbed ADVANCED VTEC is VTC on intake an exhaust at all times. essentialy using a version of the BMW system.

BOttom line is, Celica GT an GTS arent worth building , too mouch money, not enough gains. The GTS with headgasket an headstuds is a decent turbo candidate, but its expensive.

now that Mr. Kidd said it, everyone will believe it.

fawk_you
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanx everyone for ur responses and i really do appricate the info. I know that if i want to go turbo im gonna need low compression pistions (8.8 : 1)already researched that info. But now i have taken an intrest in autoX and i know u dont need the fastest car to win in autoX. So now that i have this intrest in AutoX im thinking on goin N/A. And N/A u need High compression pistions and a lot of head and internal work. I really dont know what i want to do right now but i've got a 2 years to think about it. If you ask why 2 years,:thinking: I haven't finished paying off my car yet so i got time to make up my mind.

I also know that the GT isn't the best car to mod:no: because the amount of $ ur gonna spend and the low gains u get. But like i always say "i like being different" and i want to build something that not everyone has in the streets and want to change peoples minds about the 7th Gen GT and the potiental it can have wit time and money. Im the type of guy who wants to be that on guy to do something and everyone be like " damn that car is wack but that guy did some crazy ish and that is fing ridiculesly fast.I know it's a long shot but it's a shot im willing to take, but i have time and i'll have the money when im done payin that biatch off lol:lmao: . i thank everyone for the advice it means alot from one tuner to the next, but i like wat i have and im gonna try to change the bad name the GT has. :goodjob: Even though it may take a life time.
:lmfao: Sell your car, buy a miata or a mini-cooper or something worth a shit and dont waste your money dude. Seriously. Trade it in!! (before your cars worth decreases faster than it already is!!!!) A celica is one of the WORST POSSIBLE CARS TO AUTO-X IN... (previous owner expierence here, YET AGAIN!) unless you have shit tons of money to invest in your cars handeling.... its a waste of money and you will be suprised to see how shitty you will do in a race... cause if you think you're going to come out different/good in a race, you're dead wrong. One fun thing to do is go tray sliding, or do backwards donuts.... :bump: Hella body roll, torque steer, crappy body/weight in a car not ment to auto-x, ment for older ladies and girls.... lol.... im sorry dude. The only people ive ever seen auto-x a celica at an event, were old men, who actually had the retirement funds to invest into a shitty car. I appericate the laugh.

They make fun show cars? :thinking: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/767000-767999/767361_216_full.jpg
Fun to look at, but thats about it. Theres a reason I sold it.

:idb:
Talk is cheap. :lmfao: j/k... thanks but no thanks! Preciate the offer tho! :goodjob:

CelicaGT00
02-11-2007, 08:28 AM
i have a friend who autocrosses and he does really good. he doesnt have that many mods either. i have a 00 celica gt also but im giving it to my younger brother. i really want to get a gts and supercharge it. i dont know what it is but i really like the celicas. ive even thought about swapping the engine for the 2nd gen 3sgte engine. anyways do whatever makes you happy.